C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle Inspection Not Good

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM
c6 Houston
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vehicle Inspection Not Good

RESULTS FROM TEXAS VEHICLE INSPECTION REPORT NOT GOOD

Okay, I have LG headers with High Flow cats.
I was getting a P0430 code = Catalyst System Efficiency Below threshold (bank 2).

I reset the computer with a code reader/eraser.

Drove the car for about 40 miles with not codes or service light.. So I pulled into inspection and it “FAILED”. I have HP Tuner and could turn this P0430 off but I don’t think this will solve my problem as far as getting the car to “PASS”. Does any one know how many miles I you have to drive or how many time the car has to be started to run throw the cycles? Or what should I do.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:45 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by c6 Houston

I was getting a P0430 code = Catalyst System Efficiency Below threshold (bank 2).

Drove the car for about 40 miles with not codes or service light.. So I pulled into inspection and it “FAILED”. I have HP Tuner and could turn this P0430 off but I don’t think this will solve my problem as far as getting the car to “PASS”. Does any one know how many miles I you have to drive or how many time the car has to be started to run throw the cycles? Or what should I do.
You did know that this could be an issue before you installed the headers, right???

Let us know when it finally does pass emissions. But I suspect that you are right, in that if you turn those codes off, it still might not pass.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:46 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Well I don't know if this will help but in NY when a code/CEL comes on the car must be driven fast and slow and fast again for 15-30 minutes then left to cool off some.We had a MUSTANG here that had a CAT issue(it was set up with headers,tune etc) We had to put a new "CAT" IN and remove the tune (DIABLO).
Old 05-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Nicodemus
Advanced

Set the O2 sensor codes to "no error reported" and leave the codes enabled. You should pass fine, I did in maryland.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:09 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they tell you why you failed? Was it because of the codes or because of the headers/cats?
Old 05-10-2008, 06:20 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k0bun
Did they tell you why you failed? Was it because of the codes or because of the headers/cats?
All of the emission readiness tests probably didn't finish running yet. It could take a week for all the tests to completely run depending on driving style.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:24 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

This may help: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc...ists092005.pdf
Old 05-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I had the same issue years back when I put my headers in and didn't bother with a dyno-tune. The car senses the higher flow cats as an error and throws the cat ineffieciency code and you reset it. I did this for a long time as the code would only trip ever few weeks. In a C5 you can pull up your codes and delete them in the DIC (no seperate code reader needed). The trick is to go ahead and get the car tuned and have the rear 02s turned off or have the codes turned off. After having that done I passed inspection w/o issue.

Everytime you clear the code you undo the "ready" settings of various systems on the car. When the tech plugs in the OBD-II scanner it first checks for system readiness. If you have 2 or more not readys then you cannot get tested and fail. The car must go through a rather involved drive cycle of various conditions to re-set the ready status.

Same thing happened to my father's stock '04 Z16 Z06 when he didn't drive it for a few months... the car showed as not ready. They told him to drive it for a week and come back. It eventually passed.

So... go get a proper tune.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:54 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
So... go get a proper tune.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to the drive cycle required for ready status.

I/M readiness test
Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 PM
HurtSoGood
Advanced

Problems with emissions or inspections? Move to Florida!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HurtSoGood
Old 05-11-2008, 03:11 AM
c6 Houston
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nicodemus
Set the O2 sensor codes to "no error reported" and leave the codes enabled. You should pass fine, I did in maryland.
I have HP Tuners Pro and not sure how to do this?
Old 05-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ If you have HPTuners, then you can go in and turn off the rear 02s
Old 05-11-2008, 03:49 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

^ If you have HPTuners, then you can go in and turn off the rear 02s
Turning off his rear 02s might not be the answer either.

If his rear 02s are nonfunctional or turned off, they will show a "not ready" status when the folks at the inspection station plug into his OBD port and test his emissions system for readiness. It would be the same as if you had a bad 02 sensor.

In some states, thats enough to fail emissions.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-11-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:06 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by HurtSoGood

Pls don't
Old 05-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a little while back there was some good discussions on the forum about headers, cats, and codes.

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
You did know that this could be an issue before you installed the headers, right???
Originally Posted by k0bun
or was it 'failed based upon the visual inspection', it's a 'federal fail' for messing with the 'cats'. simply moving them from their 'original' location will fail the car.

Originally Posted by GMautotech
All of the emission readiness tests probably didn't finish running yet. It could take a week for all the tests to completely run depending on driving style.

Everytime you clear the code you undo the "ready" settings of various systems on the car. When the tech plugs in the OBD-II scanner it first checks for system readiness. If you have 2 or more not readys then you cannot get tested and fail.

Originally Posted by Brett Hunter
Here is a link to the drive cycle required for ready status.

I/M readiness test

btw: the 'issue' can be resolved without 'turning off any codes or disabling anything.' even though a 'good tune' is always a good idea (caveat - gm can tell if it's been 'tuned' and can deny warantee as a result) a tune is not required to resolve the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Vehicle Inspection Not Good

Old 05-11-2008, 08:02 AM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

In Texas, like some (maybe all?) other states, there is no sniffer test for OBDII cars. They just read the PCM. I'm no expert (by a long shot), but I believe if he turns off the code it will pass.

I have a 99 T/A that I bought with long tubes and no cats. Passed 2 years in a row no problems at two different inspection stations. Obviously the previous owner had disabled several codes. My intention was to put cats back on, but now I'm selling the car.

They are getting picky here about resetting (as opposed to removing) a code and then going for inspection. I did not know this last year when a friend of mine got a code on her Saturn about eveporative emissions. She probably needed a new gas cap. I reset it and she drove a couple days and it did not come back. She went for inspection and they told her to come back in a few more days because someone had recently reset trouble codes. That surprised me.

Last edited by wallyj; 05-11-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:23 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My '05 passed 2 Texas inpections with DynoMaxx long tube headers with high flow cats thanks to Chuck@ Corvetes of Westchester's mail order tune. No codes on the OBD2 and the visual was a "Don't ask, don't tell".
Old 05-11-2008, 11:32 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

In California there is a waiting period after codes have been reset. I don't know what it is but it's a least a few days.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Inspection Not Good