C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle Inspection Not Good

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:35 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my car inspected in Bell County, TX. Just a safety inspection, no emissions testing or code checking required in that county. In fact, the only emissions related requirement for Bell County is an exhaust that exits behind the rear axle. And even then, my car should fail by virtue of tint and blacked out side markers. The solution? Go to a super sketchy inspection place. Ten minutes and ten dollars later and we're good to go. The guy glanced at the car, drove it around the block, and that was the inspection.

The best part is the car won't be in TX ever again. But hey, emissions legal. Combine that with an MA license (MA won't accept out of state speeding tickets) and we're good to go

I would look up the counties that don't require emissions testing in TX and just get it done there.

The whole emissions testing hoopla in America has gone from "environmentalism" to "revenue." Nobody cares at this point about the pollution, it's just another redundant bureaucratic network across the USA to provide jobs for the people and income for the government.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:50 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Texas has gotten nasty on the inspections in the major city areas of Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, the same restrictions as California.

They have also made the point that you HAVE TO INSPECT IN YOUR COUNTY OF RESIDENCE! Unless you can show registration for the County of inspection you are out of luck. There is no way around the OBD2 plug in, it transmits your VIN directly to the State, the Inspector can't bypass it.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:00 PM
SBTuner
Tech Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c6 Houston
RESULTS FROM TEXAS VEHICLE INSPECTION REPORT NOT GOOD

Okay, I have LG headers with High Flow cats.
I was getting a P0430 code = Catalyst System Efficiency Below threshold (bank 2).
It is unlikely that the catalyst monitor will run and pass. Moving even the stock cats further from the exhaust port with headers will cause the cat efficiency to drop drastically @ idle. (this is where/when the monitor is run) If the calibrator advanced the idle timing this will also compound the problem.

Regards,
Old 05-11-2008, 01:15 PM
sikpuppy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I had the same problem, failed once due to the same code, second time due to "System Not Ready". Took it back to my tuner, had them set the O2 sensors to "No Error Reported" and Voila! after driving the car for another 90 miles (that's about what it takes to get the right sequence for all the codes to reset) it passed inspection. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBTuner
It is unlikely that the catalyst monitor will run and pass. Moving even the stock cats further from the exhaust port with headers will cause the cat efficiency to drop drastically @ idle. (this is where/when the monitor is run) If the calibrator advanced the idle timing this will also compound the problem.

Regards,
me

No Tune No Codes

Quick Reply: Vehicle Inspection Not Good