C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shakes and vibration on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 PM
themotoking
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shakes and vibration on cold start

In stock forum my car has a mild-moderate vibration when starting cold. You can feel it in the seat a little and if you open the door you can see the glass shaking if you look closely. As the engine warms up it goes away for the most part but sometimes when idling you get a couple random shakes of the seat and it comes and goes but is constant when cold. My first guess was fuel injectors being dirty, car has 40K and is an 05. I ran several cycles of pour in injector cleaners but did not help. I am thinking about buying new spark plugs and after that running a direct injector cleaner thru the injectors.

Am I on the right track? What would you best guess be?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM
TRBOKEV
Racer

Mine does the same thing.. I thought it was a miss when I first got the car but after a lot of searching I have come to the assumption that it is normal on the LS3 engine.. (I have an 08 with 28k)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM
themotoking
Advanced

Originally Posted by TRBOKEV
Mine does the same thing.. I thought it was a miss when I first got the car but after a lot of searching I have come to the assumption that it is normal on the LS3 engine.. (I have an 08 with 28k)
hmm.. mine is the LS2
Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM
JustCruzin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by themotoking
In stock forum my car has a mild-moderate vibration when starting cold. You can feel it in the seat a little and if you open the door you can see the glass shaking if you look closely. As the engine warms up it goes away for the most part but sometimes when idling you get a couple random shakes of the seat and it comes and goes but is constant when cold. My first guess was fuel injectors being dirty, car has 40K and is an 05. I ran several cycles of pour in injector cleaners but did not help. I am thinking about buying new spark plugs and after that running a direct injector cleaner thru the injectors.

Am I on the right track? What would you best guess be?

Thanks guys!
Save your money on the injector cleaner. Maybe if you had 140K on it might do something. Go with the plugs and check the wires that should help. Good luck with it.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 with 13k miles on it does this at idle sometimes as well. I've test driven two other vettes, one an 07 and another an 08 and I felt the same thing.

The cold start thing I recently noticed though, the car had been sitting for a bout two months in the garage (~50 degrees or so) and the initial start it struggled for a like a second. I went to gas up on that same run and at the gas station it did the same thing. I'll haveto check this again when the rain lets up.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My LS2 was surging a little when cold. I cleaned the MAF and throttle body and it's 99% better. It's very easy and cheap to do.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 PM
themotoking
Advanced

Originally Posted by VET4LES
My LS2 was surging a little when cold. I cleaned the MAF and throttle body and it's 99% better. It's very easy and cheap to do.

Cleaned both the first week I had the car just as maintenance. I also changed out the MAF from the LS2 to the LS6 as the LS6 does not use the honey comb so is less restrictive. The car ran better after changing to the LS6 MAF but I still have this issue.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

What solvent did you use?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Auto parts stores carry MAF and throttle body cleaners. There are many different brands.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Auto parts stores carry MAF and throttle body cleaners. There are many different brands.
yes, and "carb cleaner" is NOT the solvent to use.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, CRC makes MAF cleaner. I got a can last year at Autozone and used it on a few cars. It seemed to help.

Below a certain coolant temp, the PCM in open loop and the NB02 feed back is not part of the fueling equation. My car was set at the factory that the coolant temp has go above 131°F degrees to go into closed loop. In other words, the fueling is done from a series VE, MAF, air temp, and coolant temp tables programed in by the factory (or modified by your tuner).

There are tables to adjust fuel injectors duty cycle based on air and coolant temps. If you've had mods to the intake and exhaust, they may need a small adjustment to increase fuel during low temp because the increase in air flow from the mods results in a leaner a/f ratio during warm up.

Last edited by Mez; 03-13-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 AM
themotoking
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
yes, and "carb cleaner" is NOT the solvent to use.
not on the MAF but defiantly on the throttle body

Get notified of new replies

To Shakes and vibration on cold start

Quick Reply: Shakes and vibration on cold start