C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge dropping to 0 and then going back up

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:36 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Raptor
Just the other night while driving home on a quiet street with my 2008 vette LS3 I was doing 40mph I decided to jump on the gas what a launch just for a few seconds. My oil pressure gauge went to 80 and stayed there then bounced around took it right home. Next day started right up no engine noise went for a ride for a half hour oil gauge went to zero, loaded with worry went home made some calls and did some research. Me on a pension and SS looking for the best mechanic and price,dealer said its sounds like sending unit I talked to a reliable machanic and he wants to put in a hp oil pump due to the issues corvette has with its original equip thats 1700.00 does that sound right?
Goes to 80 and stays there is a sending unit gone bad. Going to zero and back sounds like the pump. The pressure relief plunger gets scorred up where the inlet hole is causing it to jam. When this happens you lose oil pressure when you let off. If you tap the throttle and move the pressure relief valve a little it can reseat properly.
Had this happen on my Avalanche right out of the blue with 45K miles.

A little time consuming to replace, but not hard.

Make sure you soak and shim the gears before torquing down the pump body.

DJ
Old 10-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by djbrun
Goes to 80 and stays there is a sending unit gone bad. Going to zero and back sounds like the pump. The pressure relief plunger gets scorred up where the inlet hole is causing it to jam. When this happens you lose oil pressure when you let off. If you tap the throttle and move the pressure relief valve a little it can reseat properly.
Had this happen on my Avalanche right out of the blue with 45K miles.

A little time consuming to replace, but not hard.

Make sure you soak and shim the gears before torquing down the pump body.

DJ
That's what happened to me a few months ago, it gave me a chance to replace it with one from http://www.mellingselectperformance....inum-Oil-Pumps
Old 10-30-2015, 03:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Which one did you go with? 10295 or 10296?
Old 10-30-2015, 03:55 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Which one did you go with? 10295 or 10296?
I believe it was the 10295.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge dropping to 0 and then going back up