C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

close up pictures/inspection of OBX headers inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:44 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

Default close up pictures/inspection of OBX headers inside

I got my hands on a set of OBX headers and decided to take some pictures for you guys.

The order was for 1 7/8" inch primaries, 3" collector and 3" x-pipe. However, the package that was sent appears to be 1 7/8" primaries, 3" collector and 2.5" x-pipe. Communication with the vendor via email was easy, so hopefully this will be a quick/free correction.

I don't have measuring calipers but, I found the circumference of the primaries to be ~6", so this would lead me to believe the primary size is correct at 1 7/8".

The 2.5" x-pipe was the only part of the kit that I wasn't very satisfied with. It looks like they just burned through each of the pipes and welded them together. I'm not sure how other vendors do it, but compared to the nice stamped 3" 'X' peice I added to my C6Z exhaust, this is not very pretty.

The headers however appear to be very good quality. The primaries mate with the flanges very well, the pipes don't appear to be crush bent. The collector doesn't have a merge spike, but is generally clean.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:33 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

The X-pipe internal crossover hole does not look to be "anywhere" as large as the crossover hole in my Chinese 3" X-pipe.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:50 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Yea... here's an example of what I have heard is the cleanest spliced x-pipe.

This is a 3" American Racing x-pipe

Old 10-29-2011, 08:54 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default My $.02 on the OBX X-Pipe.

I would be tempted to cut a large round hole with a hole saw in the side of that x-pipe, grind the internal hole out to the weld line than weld the round plug that I just cut out back in.

The internal blend hole may not need to be that large but from the photo it looks a little on the small side to "me".

The rest of the pics of the internals from what I can see look fine.

PS: The "close ups" of the exhaust flanges show that the tubes come all the way through to the flange surface, mine did not come all the way through on the set that I bought.

The American Racing X-pipe looks good.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-29-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

I'm surprised there aren't more posts in this... with all the OBX threads lately I thought one that documented the latest quality of the product could be helpful.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I wasn't aware OBX had the option of a 3" X-pipe. I talked to a couple different people and 2.5" was what they offered for the C6.

If you do indeed get a 3" x-pipe, let me know as I'd be curious to pick one up myself and do a back to back dyno comparison to see if it improves on my 494whp/443tq number.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Liner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I'm surprised there aren't more posts in this... with all the OBX threads lately I thought one that documented the latest quality of the product could be helpful.
Very timely and thanks for posting. I plan to put these on in about a month when I'm in for the winter.

So, if the X pipe looks to be "less than desired", what's the best option... buy a different X pipe (ebay, corsa, or other), or maybe take the OBX to a muffler shop and have them "open it up"?

I'm curious to hear if you have any luck getting a 3" x-pipe. I also thought only 2.5" was available.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Justinjor
I wasn't aware OBX had the option of a 3" X-pipe. I talked to a couple different people and 2.5" was what they offered for the C6.

If you do indeed get a 3" x-pipe, let me know as I'd be curious to pick one up myself and do a back to back dyno comparison to see if it improves on my 494whp/443tq number.
I'll definitely post a follow up after (hopefully) getting the order corrected with the vendor. The order was placed for a C6 Z06 system with 3" x-pipe, and this was confirmed via email with the store. The kit that arrived was identified by it's sticker as an LS2 kit though w/ the 2.5" x-pipe.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Ah, that makes more sense.

I almost ordered the Z06 system but didn't want the hassle of fitting the muffler side of the 3" x-pipe to my 2.5" factory NPP. Honestly, I can't imagine it making very much of a difference and I'm very pleased with how everything turned out for my current mods.

Now--if I was going FI--that might be a whole different ballgame.

Keep us posted turbo
Old 10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Liner
Very timely and thanks for posting. I plan to put these on in about a month when I'm in for the winter.

So, if the X pipe looks to be "less than desired", what's the best option... buy a different X pipe (ebay, corsa, or other), or maybe take the OBX to a muffler shop and have them "open it up"?

I'm curious to hear if you have any luck getting a 3" x-pipe. I also thought only 2.5" was available.

Grand Sport Man appears to be a pretty good welder from his other post I found, so I think his suggestion of cutting a hole in the side and grinding it away to clean it up, then replacing the hole 'plug' would be the best way.

I wouldn't want to spend too much money on other parts or correcting these headers, because at $636 shipped, they're a good deal... add in the new parts and labor and it may be tempting to get a real set of kooks.

I'd also be curious to know if you could just buy the headers themselves and fabricate your own x-pipe. If the price works out, this could be a good option for guys w/ good local shops who also want some adjustments doen to run 3" mid-pipe to 2.5" mufflers or something that isn't 'bolt on'.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Justinjor
Ah, that makes more sense.

I almost ordered the Z06 system but didn't want the hassle of fitting the muffler side of the 3" x-pipe to my 2.5" factory NPP. Honestly, I can't imagine it making very much of a difference and I'm very pleased with how everything turned out for my current mods.

Now--if I was going FI--that might be a whole different ballgame.

Keep us posted turbo
Just out of curiousity, did you inspect your x-pipe and notice similar construction to the pictures I posted?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Just out of curiousity, did you inspect your x-pipe and notice similar construction to the pictures I posted?
I did actually. I looked everything over with a flashlight and didn't see the bottle neck that you have at the crossover point. I can't tell if it's the angle of the picture you took, or if it really is that narrow at that point. Mine looked more like the ARH picture you posted but not quite as clean.

It definitely wasn't as 'clogged' as the pictures you show though.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Liner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grand Sport Man appears to be a pretty good welder from his other post I found, so I think his suggestion of cutting a hole in the side and grinding it away to clean it up, then replacing the hole 'plug' would be the best way.

Agree... Just need to find a weld shop as good as Grand Sport Man

I'd also be curious to know if you could just buy the headers themselves and fabricate your own x-pipe. If the price works out, this could be a good option for guys w/ good local shops who also want some adjustments doen to run 3" mid-pipe to 2.5" mufflers or something that isn't 'bolt on'.

Also agree this would be a nice option. If I can't find a set of NPP exhaust, I'll likely go with Z06 bi-mode. I was resigned to using an adapter, which isn't bad, but it would be nice to have everything 3"
Also agree this would be a nice option. If I can't find a set of NPP exhaust, I'll likely go with Z06 bi-mode. I was resigned to using an adapter, which isn't bad, but it would be nice to have everything 3".
Old 10-31-2011, 11:16 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You mean they don't look like they'll encounter serious failure after some miles are on them like some sponsors have suggested?

Outrageous.

Thanks for your pictures
Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
You mean they don't look like they'll encounter serious failure after some miles are on them like some sponsors have suggested?

Outrageous.

Thanks for your pictures
I was waiting for you to chime in. . .

Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 PM
TQPE
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX Headers

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the install once you are finished as I also am looking at these headers for my C6
Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you mind PM'ing me where you got them from? I just got a Z06 axleback for my base C6 and that system interests me at that price point. I'm also not going to tune my car so I can keep the engine warranty and spending $1700 on headers doens't make sense to me.

Get notified of new replies

To close up pictures/inspection of OBX headers inside

Old 11-01-2011, 09:20 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by jon6.0
Do you mind PM'ing me where you got them from? I just got a Z06 axleback for my base C6 and that system interests me at that price point. I'm also not going to tune my car so I can keep the engine warranty and spending $1700 on headers doens't make sense to me.
im sure you will have to tune if you do headers
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

You dont have to tune when you get headers but you will have a CEL if you delete the cats. I drove around for weeks with the OBX and no tune, and put it on the dyno for a baseline before the cam. 421whp/398tq with intake, headers, and ported TB.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jon6.0
I'm waiting to see what the vendor does regarding the product mistake before I recommend them or pass on their information. I'll send you a PM once it's sorted out.

Quick Reply: close up pictures/inspection of OBX headers inside