C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kinda diy toe/camber

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:32 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Default kinda diy toe/camber

made these at work, this car has a much lower body than my others so i had to get creative

Last edited by MIGHTYM0USE; 02-10-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Very CL!!!

That could be a hot seller if you market it!!

Bob
Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yeah, that's pretty creative. If you could modify to allow for a digital level, you would have a winner! Just fatten up that rib that your level sits on a bit and you are there
Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks great but shouldn't you allow for the tire bulge at the bottom to get accurate measurements?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

FWIW as dbratt above.....

Need some adjustable inserts/ plugs/ dowls to set up against your tool to the rim edges (not the tires).

Else very (very) nice.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
FWIW as dbratt above.....

Need some adjustable inserts/ plugs/ dowls to set up against your tool to the rim edges (not the tires).

Else very (very) nice.
This, and maybe some holes in the plates to zip tie to wheel spokes (so you don't have to worry about them shifting during adjustments).
Old 02-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This is most impressive! What a clever idea. If you sell it sign me up!

Hats off to the ingenuity.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:17 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

thanks for the feedback guys, i think ill have a second go at the file for these on monday!

i had an idea on the digital level but for 40 bux ill just use my angle finder

p.s. my car has about 2* camber all around lol
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

A descent digital level is accurate to 0.1 degree and only costs about $30. Much easier to read as well...
Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

silly me, already own a digital level carry it around with me every day, just needed the app

https://market.android.com/details?i...RrLmJ1YmJsZSJd
Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
made these at work, this car has a much lower body than my others so i had to get creative

Nice. A couple of things to think about.

How do you keep the plate on the other side of the car from moving when you pull on the tape? I have a set of toe plates with notches spaced 24 inches apart (makes it easier to calculate correct tow reading) but to get the bow out of the tape I find I have to pull on it hard enough that it moves the plate on the other side if I don't do something to brace it.

Also how do you compensate for the tire bulge at the bottom of the tire? My plates are bent outwards in that area.

Bill
Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

I got another person holding the opposite side still, my shiba inu just doesnt have the attention span!

One thing i dont got is any sign of bulge, it might be all the camber in it, also prefer not to hook or press to the rim. Ill see what i can come up with for when it does happen on this car or another.

Going to make another version tomorrow
Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 AM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to get some statistics on tire and wheel edge runout before you jump into mass production of the tool. You also must have a level floor to park your car on.

I use a digital laser level shooting over my 36 foot garage for toe and the digital meter for camber .. but must know and compensate for wheel or tire runout.

Last edited by MachAll 2005; 02-14-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

I was looking for a fun project not so much mass production.

I bet there is more give in the factory rubber joints than there is run out on my reproduction wheel. Thats just a thought no I am not going to do a study.

So not concerned about fractions of a degree, something my mediocre driving would never take advantage of, no matter because it seems my garage is 12 feet too short anyway

This one will work fine with me, when a buddy is not around I'll volunteer a zip tie or two for toe, and nice flat spot to hold my phone against to get camber, and clearance for any bulging that may take place (thanks for the tip)

Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

While run out can be a concern I don't think it is that much of a concern. Longacre makes several tools that use the rim for a reference. Even the repair shop alignment tools use the rim for making their measurements. As for tire run out I use my Sears 24 inch Laser Level to set my thrust angle by setting across the rear tires and pointing it toward a tape measure at the front of the car. I have had no problems setting the angle and the car runs straight.

It looks like your solution for the bending will work just fine. What I meant by bending your plates for tire bulge is to bend them like the plates shown in this picture.

These are the plates that I have. The advantage of your plates is the extra height that can be used for the camber gauge.

Bill
Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

first job was fixing the camber on the rear, added .1" to the rear control arm shims (about the same as one more stock shim) took what looks like a half degree or so of camber out.

cant take any more out, i have run out of room between the tire and the fender

so after that i checked the toe and the camber change threw the toe way out, took about 6 flats on each side to get back to zero

next up is the front, tho i am already flirting with zero room to stand the tires up.. to may just do a slight toe correction and let that be that.

cuz im sure not raising the car!

oh and the first set of plates i made (pictured in real life) are ready to move to a forever home, as i have made myself the second set that i will be holding on to. let me know your interest.

Last edited by MIGHTYM0USE; 03-13-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 03-13-2012, 12:39 PM
boondoggle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you would turn it upside down, you would get a valid camber reading because the contact bulge would be eliminated.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
first job was fixing the camber on the rear, added .1" to the rear control arm shims (about the same as one more stock shim) took what looks like a half degree or so of camber out.

cant take any more out, i have run out of room between the tire and the fender

so after that i checked the toe and the camber change threw the toe way out, took about 6 flats on each side to get back to zero

next up is the front, tho i am already flirting with zero room to stand the tires up.. to may just do a slight toe correction and let that be that.

cuz im sure not raising the car!

oh and the first set of plates i made (pictured in real life) are ready to move to a forever home, as i have made myself the second set that i will be holding on to. let me know your interest.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

i dont follow you, i get a perfectly usable camber reading. see the opening in the bottom of the cad image, also fwiw i had no measurable bulge, and if i did, it would be consistant side to side anyways.. not a big deal but was a free change on the part.

Get notified of new replies

To kinda diy toe/camber

Quick Reply: kinda diy toe/camber