C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 AM
AYello1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default too much motor oil

Just had my '07 C-6 into the dealer for my first powertrain warranty repair. Oil leak at front of pan gasket. I was nervous leaving it with the dealer, but they were very professional, quick and appear to have done a good job. However, I noticed that on the itemized list of what they did, they listed seven quarts of oil. My owners manual specifies six quarts. I checked the dipstick and sure enough, it looks like it's a quart over the full line. Is that a problem? I've been told that when the crankcase is overfilled, the cranks splashes the oil into foam, which causes the oil pump to cavitate, resulting in insufficient oil pressure. I'm thinkin' it's going to more of a hassel to go back, than it will be to just deal with it myself. Is there an easier (and less messy) way to get a quart of oil out, other than getting under there with a drain pan and trying to pull the plug momentarily and then cram it back in while oil is pouring out?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AYello1
other than getting under there with a drain pan and trying to pull the plug momentarily and then cram it back in while oil is pouring out?
Nah, I think that's going to be your only option.
Try to use one of those drain pans that are marked with various levels (1 quart, 2 quart etc.) so you drain close to exactly 1 quart and only have to pull that plug/make that mess once. Oh and maybe wear some rubber gloves to protect your hands from the oil.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had my '07 C-6 into the dealer for my first powertrain warranty repair. Oil leak at front of pan gasket. I was nervous leaving it with the dealer, but they were very professional, quick and appear to have done a good job. However, I noticed that on the itemized list of what they did, they listed seven quarts of oil. My owners manual specifies six quarts. I checked the dipstick and sure enough, it looks like it's a quart over the full line. Is that a problem? I've been told that when the crankcase is overfilled, the cranks splashes the oil into foam, which causes the oil pump to cavitate, resulting in insufficient oil pressure. I'm thinkin' it's going to more of a hassel to go back, than it will be to just deal with it myself. Is there an easier (and less messy) way to get a quart of oil out, other than getting under there with a drain pan and trying to pull the plug momentarily and then cram it back in while oil is pouring out?
Do the draining when the oil is cold. It will be easier to control . Save what you drain, if you took too much, top off as nec.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Take it back to the idiots that over filled it. That way it is documented that they did it, in case you have a problem down the road. And make sure it gets documented

Last edited by speedraider; 04-26-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 AM
LPT2011
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
Take it back to the idiots that over filled it. That way it is documented that they did it, in case you have a problem down the road. And make sure it gets documented

their mistake I would NEVER take any oil out and then use it to "top off" ... they should simply drain the oil and then re-fill with 6 qtrs of NEW oil
Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I don't think you need to do a thing. If you read your owner's manual it states that you should add an extra quart of oil if you are going to run the car on a road course. That has been true for all wet sump LS engines since the 97 came out. I ran LS engines in Corvettes from 97 through 09 and every time I added the extra quart to go to the track and despite the Owner's Mamual recommendation to remove the extra quart after the event I left it in there. Drove both of the cars for six years each with 1 quart over for most of the time with no issues. Oil pressure was always good, oil did not get frothy, no increased oil consumption.

You can't do this on the dry sump engines since they don't have enough room for the extra quart. The extra quart was added to the wet sump engines to help prevent bearing starvation in high g long left hand turns but only worked minimally. The dry sump was the solution to that issue once they increased the oil capacity to 10.5 quarts.

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't think you need to do a thing. If you read your owner's manual it states that you should add an extra quart of oil if you are going to run the car on a road course. That has been true for all wet sump LS engines since the 97 came out. I ran LS engines in Corvettes from 97 through 09 and every time I added the extra quart to go to the track and despite the Owner's Mamual recommendation to remove the extra quart after the event I left it in there. Drove both of the cars for six years each with 1 quart over for most of the time with no issues. Oil pressure was always good, oil did not get frothy, no increased oil consumption.

You can't do this on the dry sump engines since they don't have enough room for the extra quart. The extra quart was added to the wet sump engines to help prevent bearing starvation in high g long left hand turns but only worked minimally. The dry sump was the solution to that issue once they increased the oil capacity to 10.5 quarts.

Bill

I did the very same thing with my '08. Just added the extra quart prior to the track day event and left it in there. If you are still really concerned about it, you could just change the oil filter, it will remove about half a quart. If you think about it, when oil is hot (or any liquid for that matter) it expands and will show more on the dipstick. When on a road course and driving closer to the cars potential, the oil gets hotter than normal driving, so even with an added extra quart and hotter than normal oil it still isn't a problem.

Lastly, I have a vacuum pump for removing oil through a dipstick. This method is often used on diesel engines and more specifically on boats where getting to the drain plug can be a bit of a problem, not to mention dealing with catching the oil draining out of the engine. I tried to use this method on the Corvette and found what must be a baffle in the oil pan that prevents the suction tube from reaching the bottom of the oil pan, so that method of oil extraction is not possible. In fact, with a one quart overfilled crankcase, I could not reach any oil.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

A fluid extractor can easily remove it thru the dipstick hole (when hot), if you have one. Bought mine at Griot's Garage, which came with 3 sizes of tubes, plus the brake bleeder kit. My last 3 cars were overfilled with engine oil, including my new '12 GS. They all were back to full in a few minutes, plus I also use it to suck brake/clutch reservoirs dry, and many other uses. Greatly recommended. If you don't have one, I'd follow Bill's advice, rather that go back to that dealer. Next time just DIY man .

Last edited by JCtx; 04-26-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
A fluid extractor can easily remove it thru the dipstick hole (when hot), if you have one. Bought mine at Griot's Garage, which came with 3 sizes of tubes, plus the brake bleeder kit. My last 3 cars were overfilled with engine oil, including my new '12 GS. They all were back to full in a few minutes, plus I also use it to suck brake/clutch reservoirs dry, and many other uses. Greatly recommended. If you don't have one, I'd follow Bill's advice, rather that go back to that dealer. Next time just DIY man .
If you have an ACE Hardware near you they sell a nice hand crank pump that holds up to oils, gasoline, alcohol, that works great for this type of thing, . The little hose will go right down the dip stick. Call first because not every ACE stocks every item.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry about that extra oil.

If you are really worried about it, don't drain the oil, just change the oil filter (over an oil drain pan). Doing this will lower the oil level enough to make you feel better.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

1 quart extra is no big deal
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

I've drained excess oil out from the oil pan from the drain plug several times (don't ask me why). It is not that hard or messy. Do like the previous poster said and do it with the oil cold/warm and not hot. All you do is place your drain pan under the drain plug. Loosen the plug with a wrench and then unscrew it with your hand until you get near the end of the threads. At that point, just hold the drain plug in place and gently tilt the plug up as it clears the last thread and you can easily control the flow of oil into the drain pan. Keep your hand and arm out of the way of the stream of oil as you hold the plug while draining the oil. Drain what you want out and then just put the plug back in place and screw it in and tighten to specs. If you drained too much out, then just pour some new oil in and fill to full.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 PM
AYello1
Racer

OK fellas (& fella-ettes)...I got it handled. The dealer is 30 miles away so I figured it's easier to do-it-myself than drive 60 miles round trip & wait around, plus I'd rather not have a lot of people in and around the car. In the dealer's defense, and except for adding too much oil, I think they did a pretty good job. Thanks Greg, for the phone call and putting me more at ease with this particular dealership!

I used two floor jacks & lifting pucks to raise the car at the cowl, alternating left to right, a few pumps at a time, to avoid twisting anything. Then I placed a couple of jack stands under the crossmember for safety. I crawled under with my wrenches, a drop-light, a clear, liter sized pop bottle, a funnel and a whole bunch of rags. Then I loosened the plug till the threads disengaged, but only pulled it out far enough to allow a strong tricke of oil to escape. When the bottle was just under half full I replaced the plug & torqued to 18 ft lb. I removed my tools & jack stands and lowered the car, alternating left to right, a few inches at a time. Rechecked the oil level when the car was level... and it was a done deal! Worked like a champ...the oil flow was very controlable and I didn't spill a drop. The hardest part was getting the car up in the air. Thank goodness for neighbors willing to lend the second floor jack!

Thanks for all the great suggestions....I'm not a professional mechanic, so all the tips & moral support was/is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

changing the filter would have dropped about 1/2 quart, FWIW.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

OK fellas (& fella-ettes)...I got it handled. The dealer is 30 miles away so I figured it's easier to do-it-myself than drive 60 miles round trip & wait around, plus I'd rather not have a lot of people in and around the car. In the dealer's defense, and except for adding too much oil, I think they did a pretty good job. Thanks Greg, for the phone call and putting me more at ease with this particular dealership!

I used two floor jacks & lifting pucks to raise the car at the cowl, alternating left to right, a few pumps at a time, to avoid twisting anything. Then I placed a couple of jack stands under the crossmember for safety. I crawled under with my wrenches, a drop-light, a clear, liter sized pop bottle, a funnel and a whole bunch of rags. Then I loosened the plug till the threads disengaged, but only pulled it out far enough to allow a strong tricke of oil to escape. When the bottle was just under half full I replaced the plug & torqued to 18 ft lb. I removed my tools & jack stands and lowered the car, alternating left to right, a few inches at a time. Rechecked the oil level when the car was level... and it was a done deal! Worked like a champ...the oil flow was very controlable and I didn't spill a drop. The hardest part was getting the car up in the air. Thank goodness for neighbors willing to lend the second floor jack!

Thanks for all the great suggestions....I'm not a professional mechanic, so all the tips & moral support was/is greatly appreciated!

That is essentially how I've done it. The oil is not under any pressure except gravity so keeping the plug in place but removing it just enough to allow oil to slowly drain is all that is necessary. Glad the forum helped.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 AM
VALS3
Advanced

Changing the oil/filter on a C6 is very easy. Just get a low profile jack (Al is best) and a set of pucks - there is no need to get under the car you can just slide your arm under and remove the filter and drain plug. I would just pull the oil filter when cold and you will remove at least half a quart. I have never taken my car to the dealer either, way too many horror stories
Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

OK fellas (& fella-ettes
I used two floor jacks & lifting pucks to raise the car at the cowl, alternating left to right, a few pumps at a time, to avoid twisting anything. The hardest part was getting the car up in the air. Thank goodness for neighbors willing to lend the second floor jack!
No need to alternate from right to left if you are lifting in the correct lifting locations. I've lifted mine as high as my jack will go many times lifting one side at a time.

Get notified of new replies

To too much motor oil

Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 8850
No need to alternate from right to left if you are lifting in the correct lifting locations. I've lifted mine as high as my jack will go many times lifting one side at a time.
Me too. All the time. Now that I swap both front and rear tires for track use I lift one side at a time to swap tires.

I also wouldn't have bothered to take out the extra quart, I've also done that for road course use many times and leave it in there.

Our cars absolutely lose oil pressure upon heavy g-load launches. I have started scanning oil pressure, check out what it does when the car launches...it's the teal line on the fourth graph below. See what a 1.44 60 foot launch does to the oil pressure.

The ls3 cars have a oil starvation mode in the tune to cut power when oil pressure reaches a certain level for a certain period of time due to this issue, and we all know track type cars have the dry sump to prevent this problem.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:53 PM
goldini
4th Gear

Default goldini

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
1 quart extra is no big deal
What if the dealer install 3 quarts to much??
This what happen to me today I drove five miles and white smoke was pouring out the exhaust>>
Took it back they did an new oil change and tell me its fine>> I want a new car for crist sakes it had only 550 miles.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 PM
goldini
4th Gear

Seriously what damage can be done if you drive ten miles with a c7 stingray with 3 quarts to much oil. I mean it was smoking I thought the car was on fire. I want this dealer to do something for me I mean incompetent fools they are

Quick Reply: too much motor oil