C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount Tire patch & 3.5 quick ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Discount Tire patch & 3.5 quick ?'s

Got a screw in the GY's run flats, which have around 3/32 of tread left. The screw was in the middle of the tire in the thick part of the tread (not the goove). I took it to Discount Tire today and the first guy politely refused to patch / plug it. I told him I'd pay cash & keep it off the books - my car was on jack stands and I needed to at least maneuver the car so I could get my sports cars in the garage. So he asked the manager, and the manager gave it the go-ahead. I was surprised and happy to find out they didn't charge me.

Here's my 3 questions

1) Is it common for Discount Tire to patch for free (no Corvette tax?!)
2) My tires are getting pretty thin (esp. the rears) and I got a quote $1,800 for a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Is that reasonable, or is the Corvette tax applied in that price?
3) He mentioned that included $40 to rebuild the TPMS. My Z only has 7,809 miles on it. And I've read that these tire guys screw the TPMS on too tightly, break the seals and cause leaks (I think it's only 5 ft/lbs for the inner screw). Is the "rebuild" or seal replacement necessary, or should they be left alone?
3.5) Would you go to a reputable dealer instead of Discount Tire?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I haven't researched the price for your Z?, but that does sound like a reasonable price for a set. My impression from reading here is that DT does patch for free. And as far as I know, if you're getting new tires, it does make sense to use the rebuild kits on the stems (TPMS). Per Bob BEZ06 tho, these sensors have something like a seven to nine year lifespan (batt.) so that's something to consider, too. A new set for all four costs something like 150 (could be more).

Hmm, looking at Tirerack, their price for a set is about 1600; you may want to look into what that includes from DT. TR also has shipping and warranty as extras above that price I wrote above.

Last edited by AORoads; 08-23-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I haven't researched the price for your Z?, but that does sound like a reasonable price for a set. My impression from reading here is that DT does patch for free. And as far as I know, if you're getting new tires, it does make sense to use the rebuild kits on the stems (TPMS). Per Bob BEZ06 tho, these sensors have something like a seven to nine year lifespan (batt.) so that's something to consider, too. A new set for all four costs something like 150 (could be more).

Hmm, looking at Tirerack, their price for a set is about 1600; you may want to look into what that includes from DT. TR also has shipping and warranty as extras above that price I wrote above.

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more accurate - the $1,800 was the "out the door" price, all fees, TPMS seals / rebuild, and 6.5% sales tax included. If one addes taxes / fees to tire rack's price it is right there at $1,800. I'm going to get some more bids, I was just curious if I was in the ballpark.

Still, though, I am nervous about a random tire shop screwing with my TPMS as they work quite well right now. I have read about the 7-10 year life span before, but I have also read that they are only active / using battery with the vehicle is in motion. My car is a 2008 and only has 7,800 miles on her. So I would imagine the TPMS still has a fair amount of life left.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:04 PM
TLTONEY
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Discount Tire is where I got my PS'2 AS. They did a great job and I have had great service from the 3 different DT's I have been to in my area.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:31 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Most here, including me, have had great service from Discount/America's Tire.

Sounds like a good price.

Yes, the TPMS rebuild kits are a good idea. Best price I've seen here is $2.99 from Advance Auto a year and a half ago. So they're charging you $10 including labor. Seems okay to me for peace of mind. Here's the thread about them:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ice-packs.html
Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You will really like the Super Sport tires and that is a very fare price. I paid $1500 but had to mount them myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Discount Tire patch & 3.5 quick ?'s

Quick Reply: Discount Tire patch & 3.5 quick ?'s