C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin PSS - One year later

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 AM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Michelin PSS - One year later

In November 2012, I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The reports were that they had all the grip of PS2s, but would last a lot longer. And I tended to go through tires pretty quickly, put on a lot of miles. I also watch the g-meter on occasion, and don't mind hitting it hard on occasion.

A year later (well, 13 months), the rears are done, down to the wear bars. Though that is also around 20K miles. The fronts are still about half. My car is blown, so the rears get a lot of accidental abuse, and it is not surprising that they only lasted half as long. And those rear tires kept gripping down to almost the very end. The last couple tenths, they were starting to not make it. And this includes only ONE track day on 2013, which of course would have chewed them a lot faster.

For the bulk of the life of the tires, I could pull a 1.1+g turn regularly. They really do grip as good or better than anything else I've had on the car. And at least the fronts are going to get close to double the life of the PS2s.

I am definitely going to get some more. Reportin'.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:53 PM
jsilvz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear. I put a set on my car about three months ago. I really like them as we'll.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:38 PM
ZAKO6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much HP are you at or what kinda blower do you have?
I am almost done with an A&A kit on mine and hope to be right at 600.
In the market for tires and tryin to decide between nittos, the michelins or the 305 MT et streets.

Just curious on how the tire grabs on like a 2nd gear roll.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:05 PM
WarBaby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

I put PSS's on my `13 GS one month after buying it. I live 30 minutes from the Dragon and the Pilot Super Sport's have been sensational on the twisties (except at WOT in 1st and 2nd--I'm @ 628 RWHP). MT 305x18's are on order for occasional rear use. Besides overpowering my PSS's with an A&A blower, they are simply outstanding tires!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 PM
PugVette
Heel & Toe

Anyone know where I can find some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for a base 09? Looking for NON-run flats. I cannot seem to find these ANYWHERE in stock! I'm sad and am now in a time crunch.

Any help would be awesome.
245/40ZR18
285/35ZR19
Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 PM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to hear the news about Michelins PSS...putting them on in the springtime !!!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilladude
In November 2012, I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The reports were that they had all the grip of PS2s, but would last a lot longer. And I tended to go through tires pretty quickly, put on a lot of miles. I also watch the g-meter on occasion, and don't mind hitting it hard on occasion.

A year later (well, 13 months), the rears are done, down to the wear bars. Though that is also around 20K miles. The fronts are still about half. My car is blown, so the rears get a lot of accidental abuse, and it is not surprising that they only lasted half as long. And those rear tires kept gripping down to almost the very end. The last couple tenths, they were starting to not make it. And this includes only ONE track day on 2013, which of course would have chewed them a lot faster.

For the bulk of the life of the tires, I could pull a 1.1+g turn regularly. They really do grip as good or better than anything else I've had on the car. And at least the fronts are going to get close to double the life of the PS2s.

I am definitely going to get some more. Reportin'.
Good to hear! I'm seeing similar results with the Bridgestone Potenza RFs.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Good to hear, I'm actually thinking of going to the PS Cups when these wear out.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 AM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAKO6
How much HP are you at or what kinda blower do you have?
I am almost done with an A&A kit on mine and hope to be right at 600.
In the market for tires and tryin to decide between nittos, the michelins or the 305 MT et streets.

Just curious on how the tire grabs on like a 2nd gear roll.
I make a smidge over 550. When they were new, they could grip on a rolling launch down to maybe 50. Below that, they'd come loose. Now they'll come loose at 80. I once did a rolling launch at around 80 on a damp highway, and it stayed straight, but put out a steam cloud behind me for more than ten seconds, drying the road as I went. Scared the bejesus out of that poor Camaro.

If the goal is to maximize rolling launches, you'll definitely want the street slicks. And the widest skins you can get. I'm rolling 275s in front, and 295s on the rear, stock C6, though I got some wider custom wheels to get them under. The ZO6 fenders will get you some much bigger skins possible.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:37 AM
ZAKO6
Instructor

So your on 295s with no z06 fenders right?
What are they 295/35?

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin PSS - One year later

Quick Reply: Michelin PSS - One year later