C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to do the Ranger method clutch flush for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:34 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Default About to do the Ranger method clutch flush for the first time

Sorry to say that I'm a little late to the party on this but I've never had a problem with my clutch and I just never thought about it until I came across some threads here.

I recently realized I should have done this long ago, but I don't race my car and don't drive it aggressively 'very often'.

I'm about to do the clutch fluid flush for the first time using the Ranger method.

I have the Flotool MixMizer and Prestone DOT4 synthetic brake fluid.

I have these Scott Shop towels. They don't specifically say that they are 'lint free'.

Will these work OK for cleaning out the reservoir?

Any thoughts or advice?

Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes, they should work ok. Just remember to pack all the way around the reservoir, over the fender and even the floor where you'll have a bottle of some sort to put the old fluid into. I realize most won't do this but it's so easy for something to splash, spill (my Lexol bottle--not spray--just tilted over inside my DD), drop, drip, etc. And brake fluid can be caustic to paint and other things.

I don't know if it's just mine, but the Mix thing syringe is a little "sticky" which makes it a bit difficult to smoothly pull out, or push in when emptying. Thus, even more towels at the ready.

Also, I don't know if he was the first, but Chris, "cclive" has a method where he empties the reservoir, puts in new, and then goes for a drive. His logic is, you have to use the clutch pedal and it will mix and go in that way instead sitting in your garage pumping away 30 times. I've tried both; works both ways.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yep. Get an empty bottle to drain fluid into. I find a water bottle is held nicely on the side of the brake master. I use regular paper towels too but yours are better. Don't drip fluid on the paint and if you do wipe it quickly and you should be ok. The fluid comes out of the syringe with some force so put the tip way in the receiving bottle.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Great! Thanks for the responses.

I'll get it done tomorrow.

I'll be careful to protect the paint and try not to spill any.

Yes, I figured to go for a little drive to mix it up and then do it again.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Great! Thanks for the responses.

I'll get it done tomorrow.

I'll be careful to protect the paint and try not to spill any.

Yes, I figured to go for a little drive to mix it up and then do it again.
That's a good plan. Then if you do it after each drive for a few drives it'll get to where it stays mostly clean and you can just do it every so often. I've been doing it infrequently for 8 years now and it stays pretty clean.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Small slit in the dot 4 top foils, instead of removing the top foils, does wonders to regulate the fluid coming out the bottles.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Understand too that when withdrawing the Mix Mizer that fluid can drip out the hose end.

The syringe will not hold all the fluid in. You will have to place your finger over the end to stop the fluid from leaking out.

I have tried a number of different types and they all reacted the same way.

Might just be me....
Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

All these comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:01 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Understand too that when withdrawing the Mix Mizer that fluid can drip out the hose end.

The syringe will not hold all the fluid in. You will have to place your finger over the end to stop the fluid from leaking out.

Might just be me....
Excellent point, as are some of the others above!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Might just be me....
Yep, the Miz mizer does leak...that's why I put the used fluid bottle down by the master cylinder, I curve up the hose as I remove it from the clutch cylinder and then direct it into the bottle and squeeze out the fluid.

I have done this thousands of times, never any fluid on the paint.

Last edited by Joe_G; 09-22-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:47 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Might just be me....
Not just you, not holding is the nature of the beast with syringe.

Since I am ****, the following is opinions due to my compulsive OCD nature:

1. Instead of using what is commonly used by others. Aside from brake bleeding, Mityvac Brake Bleeder Kit is useful with vacuuming out clutch fluid. To prevent drip, just invert siphon hose and empty into container of your choice.

2. Other than using virgin lint free cloth, paper type products will have lints. Since there is contaminated fluid down stream of reservoir, rather than the risk of introducing unwanted lints/contaminates into clutch system, there is no need to wipe inside of reservoir, simply refill after siphoned. Unless there are chucks of particulate.

3. Clutch pedal action will result in wear with everything connected down stream of the pedal, each and every time. Much better to drive after each refilled then to pump with car not being used. Depending on how contaminated it was, it will take time and patience, but it will eventually cleared up.

4. Also a good idea to provide vent holes to the two front plastic covers on the bell housing. While car is in motion, flow thru air will evacuate clutch dust as an passive bonus.

Last edited by victorf; 09-25-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:27 PM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a topsider to drain my clutch fluid reservoir when doing this, seems to offer the best solution for not losing brake fluid on parts of the car where it is not desired, cover the fender with a towel so the hose does not contact the paint.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:12 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I was shocked when I looked at my new 2013 with only about 500 miles on it, how dirty the clutch fluid was.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

There is also a thread floating around where you hook some tubing to the syringe and you can avoid pumping the clutch to get pressure back...

Get notified of new replies

To About to do the Ranger method clutch flush for the first time

Quick Reply: About to do the Ranger method clutch flush for the first time