C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS brake lines..... just more BS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Torky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS brake lines..... just more BS?

I'm thinking about installing SS brake lines on my C6.... are they really better than stock? Real or BS? Since they are just rubber inside and fancy SS braids on the outside, aren't they really the same? Of course every product guys buy/add on to their cars seem to make HUGE differences, I just don't believe much anymore... real proof would be nice I guess... opinions? Thanks......
Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The metal braid doesn't allow the line to expand under pressure as the lines get older.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:58 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a recent thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ake-lines.html
Old 09-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Torky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger.... Thanks!
Old 09-27-2014, 06:03 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably not worth the effort and expense - I couldn't feel any pedal difference in my C4 ZR-1 ... plus you really want DOT approved parts (TUV in Europe) to protect the jewels.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by gbrtng
Probably not worth the effort and expense - I couldn't feel any pedal difference in my C4 ZR-1 ... plus you really want DOT approved parts (TUV in Europe) to protect the jewels.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:32 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Kinda like that Hot chic you got sitting at home........... Eye Candy that no one else can see. lol. I've thought about it but for me not worth the time or money.
Oh yea to answer your question BS.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:38 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,016 Likes on 535 Posts

They are not BS and will help out a little bit. Never seen a professional race car with rubber brake lines. Wonder why? If you putting them on a C6z06 i would 100% not do it yourself, i would use a shop. GM overtightened the lines from the factory and distorted the threads. Most of the time you are able to save and restore the threads but there have been times when the "gorilla" who put them on at the factory went ape (so to speak) and in that odd case a hard line replacement could become necessary.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:11 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by American Heritage
They are not BS and will help out a little bit. Never seen a professional race car with rubber brake lines. Wonder why? If you putting them on a C6z06 i would 100% not do it yourself, i would use a shop. GM overtightened the lines from the factory and distorted the threads. Most of the time you are able to save and restore the threads but there have been times when the "gorilla" who put them on at the factory went ape (so to speak) and in that odd case a hard line replacement could become necessary.
OK I'll bite, just how do the help out a little bit? I sure don't worry about something coming up under my Corvette and cutting a brake line. lol.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:45 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sounds like have varying opinions.

I normally do what I want and don't really care what others think.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
Sounds like have varying opinions.

I normally do what I want and don't really care what others think.

Good luck with your decision!
Yup and I installed them on my car. Rather had them installed.

It was a special and I was having the calipers powder coated at the time.

Just like when I had the ARH headers system installed I added the thermal tunnel plate.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:50 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 198 Likes on 169 Posts

Torky, SS brake lines have their place, they are not rubber inside with fancy SS braid on the outside, they are teflon tube with SS braid, much less flexible than the rubber factory lines.

So the real question is do you feel much flexibility in your brakes? About the only people that would feel it are people tracking their cars, and then it would be those on the higher end of the skill level, ie, instructors and 'A' group drivers. I've had both and currently running rubber and can't really tell the difference, then again I'm not an instructor or 'A; group driver either. I'm in 'B' group.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

When I had my calipers powder coated I also added SS brake lines. I don't track my vette but run it at the drag strip (Bandimere Speedway). I have not noticed any difference whatsoever.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on your intended use really. Don't waste the money on a street car. I might do them if for some reason I just had to replace brake lines anyway. If you do track days, it's worth the investment.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:19 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

It's a must for track cars as they don't flex as much as rubber lines. For street driving, you may never notice the difference unless you are very aggressive...
Old 10-03-2014, 05:07 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with the above statements for the most part in saying that yes they are nice to have, they do make "some" difference, and they do not expand under pressure like the rubber ones. The other thing to think about is as your rubber lines become older they progressively give more and more, especially under high pressure and hot conditions that you will experience with track day or aggressive street driving. Either way wanted to drop a line in here and try to help but it looks like you guys go tit covered.

FYI if you do want a set I put them ON SALE for you guys. They are in stock and priced around $100, what else can you buy for these cars these days for $100.

Link for Purchasing Click Here

Old 10-05-2014, 06:36 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
It's a must for track cars as they don't flex as much as rubber lines. For street driving, you may never notice the difference unless you are very aggressive...

For road racing, autocross, it's a big help. Much better brake control under threshold braking.

For drags or street, save your money..
Old 10-06-2014, 03:44 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default May create DTCs and DIC indications

I found this "service slant" in the October 2014 MOTOR magazine which might give you second thoughts about SS brake hoses. Sounds pretty far-fetched to me, but who knows ??

"Chevrolet
ABS/TCS lights on, DTCs logged.
Chevy says that some 1997-2013 Corvettes may illuminate the ABS and Traction Control lights and log DTCs C0035/C1225 and/or C0040/C1226 in computer memory.
According to the carmaker, the trouble typically occurs when the sports car is driven over bumps at speeds below 35 mph and could be due to the installation of aftermarket braided stainless-steel brake hoses. The hoses cause electrical interference in the front ABS wheel speed sensor signals.
The only way to make an accurate diagnosis is to remove the aftermarket hoses and install a set of OE brake lines. If the warning lights stay off and the codes don’t reset, you’ve found the problem. If the lights come back on, you’ve got to continue troubleshooting."
Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by gbrtng
I found this "service slant" in the October 2014 MOTOR magazine which might give you second thoughts about SS brake hoses. Sounds pretty far-fetched to me, but who knows ??

"Chevrolet
ABS/TCS lights on, DTCs logged.
Chevy says that some 1997-2013 Corvettes may illuminate the ABS and Traction Control lights and log DTCs C0035/C1225 and/or C0040/C1226 in computer memory.
According to the carmaker, the trouble typically occurs when the sports car is driven over bumps at speeds below 35 mph and could be due to the installation of aftermarket braided stainless-steel brake hoses. The hoses cause electrical interference in the front ABS wheel speed sensor signals.
The only way to make an accurate diagnosis is to remove the aftermarket hoses and install a set of OE brake lines. If the warning lights stay off and the codes don’t reset, you’ve found the problem. If the lights come back on, you’ve got to continue troubleshooting."
It's not BS, I've had that happen on two of my Vettes with SS brake lines. If you cycle power to the car, the issue goes away until the next time. Every time I've had this happen to me was on the track (don't know if that makes a difference or not).

The solution is to cut a length of rubber hose (about 2-3" per caliper will do it), slit it lengthwise and wrap around brake line closest to the caliper banjo bolt. This solved the issue permanently in both cars.

Get notified of new replies

To SS brake lines..... just more BS?

Quick Reply: SS brake lines..... just more BS?