C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 427 Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Steve07
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2013 427 Storage

Hi all,

It's that time of year for us in the midwest...storage. I own a 2013 427 Convertible that I'm getting ready to store in my garage for the winter. My owners manual states to disconnect the negative on the battery and not much else. I used a battery tender (2 amp) on my 07 - the battery was under hood. My 427 battery is in the trunk - the trunk has 2 lights that illuminate when trunk lid opened. I could remove the lights, or possibly connect to the jump terminal under hood.

I have also added Stabil to the fuel (topped off). I have heard good and bad on this issue.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments would be appreciated. I am interested in how others prepare for storage.

Last edited by Steve07; 10-20-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Aves_Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve07
Hi all,

It's that time of year for us in the midwest...storage. I own a 2013 427 Convertible that I'm getting ready to store in my garage for the winter. My owners manual states to disconnect the negative on the battery and not much else. I used a battery tender (2 amp) on my 07 - the battery was under hood. My 427 battery is in the trunk - the trunk has 2 lights that illuminate when trunk lid opened. I could remove the lights, or possibly connect to the jump terminal under hood.

I have also added Stabil to the fuel (topped off). I have heard good and bad on this issue.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments would be appreciated. I am interested in how others prepare for storage.
My 427 came with a battery tender that plugs into the cig lighter in the glove box. I'm sure it was an option, but the point is, it might be worth your while to see if you can get one from the local dealer. The cost might make the first year seem expensive, but if you're in for the long haul, I'd think it's an option. (BTW - Love my 427!)
Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I use a CTek 3300 on mine which has an optional cig lighter plug, although I also use the adaptor with the eyelets that comes standard with the unit which I installed in the engine bay. Believe if you check Amazon you'll find these at a good price. Paid $52 shipped for mine a year ago.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:21 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the same car (but, I don't have to store it now....used to live in Norton Shores, and stored for MANY years) I have my B. Tender hooked up at the fuse box/etc under the hood. Works great, but you have to leave the terminals attached on the battery. The lights, BTW, will turn off after awhile if you leave the trunk up. With the Tender , there is no need to worry about the trunk. StaBil is good; did you run the car for some time after adding it to the tank? Treated gas should flow through the entire system to protect best.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Steve07
Navigator

Originally Posted by carpe dm
I have the same car (but, I don't have to store it now....used to live in Norton Shores, and stored for MANY years) I have my B. Tender hooked up at the fuse box/etc under the hood. Works great, but you have to leave the terminals attached on the battery. The lights, BTW, will turn off after awhile if you leave the trunk up. With the Tender , there is no need to worry about the trunk. StaBil is good; did you run the car for some time after adding it to the tank? Treated gas should flow through the entire system to protect best.
Thanks Carpe diem. Yes I always run the car for about 1/2 hour after adding StaBil.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Steve07
Navigator

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
I use a CTek 3300 on mine which has an optional cig lighter plug, although I also use the adaptor with the eyelets that comes standard with the unit which I installed in the engine bay. Believe if you check Amazon you'll find these at a good price. Paid $52 shipped for mine a year ago.

Good info. Thanks Pickleseimer.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Steve07
Navigator

Originally Posted by Aves_Guy
My 427 came with a battery tender that plugs into the cig lighter in the glove box. I'm sure it was an option, but the point is, it might be worth your while to see if you can get one from the local dealer. The cost might make the first year seem expensive, but if you're in for the long haul, I'd think it's an option. (BTW - Love my 427!)
Sounds quick and easy, thanks Aves Guy. I love my 427 also - it's a beast!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:17 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

To properly allow any additive such as stabil or seafoam to mix it needs to be poured in and add gas or you're going to have to do a lot of hard cornering back and forth to "manually" mix it up.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

I don't own a 427 but for my 13 GS convertible I added Stabil and a bottle of Techron, topped off the tank and took a spirited drive to ensure the fluids mixed. Then I cleaned and waxed the body, cleaned and treated the top, cleaned the brake dust out of the inside of the wheels, wiped down the engine compartment, cleaned the interior and treated the seats, plugged the CTEK in the cigarette lighter, ran the cord through the notch in the door sill, shut the door, put the cover on and with a tear in my eye said have a good hibernation.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Posts like this make me feel bad for all the forum people who park their Vettes in a dark cold cave for 4-6 months every year. I know the retired ones have the chance to be snowbirds, but the working stiffs are kinda stuck.

I've been thinking about offering a special deal to those cold country owners for storage here on my Phoenix area property. It'd be safe, secure, and allow for visitations anytime you had the uncontrollable urge to drive on warm dry roads with the top off or down.

Just think about the opportunity to take a cold snowy wintertime weekend or longer vacation in a warm sunny climate. You get to drive and enjoy your own car and the monthly storage cost is lower than crappy rental car daily rates.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 427 Storage

Quick Reply: 2013 427 Storage