C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Automatic Tranny Shift Cable Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 AM
sfl1982vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Automatic Tranny Shift Cable Question

I have become victim of the dreaded auto tranny shift cable bushing breaking on my 2006 Corvette.

Does anyone know where I can find the plastic bushing that goes in the boot where the ball on the shift lever connects to the shift cable boot? I don't need to buy the entire shift cable as it is just this plastic bushing that has broke which allowed the shift lever to disconnect from the cable.

I have read on here that bushings from the Dorman kit #14041 has been used to fix this, but I can not find where a bushing from this kit was used on a C6. Does anyone know if a bushing from this Dorman kit will work and which of the bushings is used?

Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Last edited by sfl1982vette; 10-29-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:22 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by sfl1982vette
I have become victim of the dreaded auto tranny shift cable bushing breaking on my 2006 Corvette.

Does anyone know where I can find the plastic bushing that goes in the boot where the ball on the shift lever connects to the shift cable boot? I don't need to buy the entire shift cable as it is just this plastic bushing that has broke which allowed the shift lever to disconnect from the cable.

I have read on here that bushings from the Dorman kit #14041 has been used to fix this, but I can not find where a bushing from this kit was used on a C6. Does anyone know if a bushing from this Dorman kit will work and which of the bushings is used?

Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

I saved a thread a long time ago, and turned it into a PDF file. In that file, it shows the package of the bushings that were bought Autozone

Hope this is what you are looking for.
Attached Images
Old 10-29-2014, 06:16 PM
sfl1982vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I saved a thread a long time ago, and turned it into a PDF file. In that file, it shows the package of the bushings that were bought Autozone

Hope this is what you are looking for.
Thanks. This does help. I did get the kit. Which bushing did you use from the set? And did you have to file or cut it down so it would fit in the boot or did you just snap in?

Last edited by sfl1982vette; 10-29-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:46 PM
MrWoody
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default More details... and my experience

Originally Posted by sfl1982vette
Thanks. This does help. I did get the kit. Which bushing did you use from the set? And did you have to file or cut it down so it would fit in the boot or did you just snap in?
I just had this bushing problem on my 2006 C6. Fortunately is gave out as I was shifting the car while in the garage! Ironically I just had the whole console off two days before to clear up a sticking solenoid problem that lets you take the car out of Park.

This bushing problem is a SAFETY issue. My car only has 40k miles, so this is an age related deterioration problem... the plastic just rots from the heat. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and this bushing gives out, you may be stuck in a gear (mine was in reverse) that you can't change and you may be left in a very bad situation.

My advice: Replace this bushing if your car is 9+ years old! Even if it hasn't worn out.

This thread saved me a great deal of cost and frustration. Time to repair was about 2-1/2 hours (which included the drive to AutoZone).

Steps and Parts info:

See the YouTube video on removing the console. Ignore the part about twisting the shift handle boot a 1/4 turn to drop the boot to access the screw. There's no such screw on the AUTOMATIC shifter (which is what this thread is about) - nor can you or do you need to drop the boot. You'll JUST need to just remove the FOUR hex head screws at the corners of the shift handle assembly - it allows you to left the entire package of shifter and wires out very easily. http://bit.ly/1JhU5Qc

The AUTOZONE part number for the bushings is #14041. There are 5 bushings included and you can only use one. Look for some tiny writing on the top flat lip - there's very small numbers - mine was 5074045. Here are the pictures for helping to further identify the right part (it's the one in the front/center).

C6 automatic transmission replacement bushing for shift lever - serviced from the console.

C6 automatic transmission replacement bushing for shift lever - serviced from the console.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Mitchell Kut
8th Gear

Is this the same fix for a C5? My shift lever is loose and feels like it isn't connected. Happened when I shifted from Drive to Reverse. Was lucky it stayed in Neutral so I was able to push the car and have it towed.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:31 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchell Kut
Is this the same fix for a C5? My shift lever is loose and feels like it isn't connected. Happened when I shifted from Drive to Reverse. Was lucky it stayed in Neutral so I was able to push the car and have it towed.
I am just about positive that it is. There is also another more specific Dorman kit under a different kit number that I actually used for my 2007 vert earlier this month. It is labeled for GM vehicles under a wide range of model years including yours. I will see if I can find my thread on this and post here.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:37 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchell Kut
See this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-repair.html

Dorman Kit 14055 Be sure to check the rear tranny housing first to see if the shift cable is still attached to the housing shift lever. Most likely it will be. If so, then it is highly probable that the console shifter forward end of the cable has lost its grommet.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:16 AM
Mitchell Kut
8th Gear

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I am just about positive that it is. There is also another more specific Dorman kit under a different kit number that I actually used for my 2007 vert earlier this month. It is labeled for GM vehicles under a wide range of model years including yours. I will see if I can find my thread on this and post here.
Thanks for your reply. Have about 3 days of rain heading my way so the repair will be on hold till the weekend. I'll see if I can locate the kit you suggested at my local autozone or advance auto parts. I had the entire interior out a few weeks ago to replace the instrument cluster. The center console will be a breeze! I will let you know how I make out!
Old 12-25-2015, 09:15 AM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Just for information I replaced mine yesterday and I bought the Dorman kit 14041 and I couldn’t get the little plastic bushing from that kit to fit I end up smashing it out of shape (roundness) with the pliers trying to squeeze it into the linkage part that holds the bushing. I end up buying kit Dorman kit 14055 which came with only two bushing. I couldn’t get the white bushing to fit (same problem) out of that kit so I end up using the small clear bushing. It pop right in. With the small amount of working space I used two zip ties placing one on the shifter **** at the very bottom and the other on the shifter rod inter-twining them together for insurance that this will never happen again. Hopefully?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Mitchell Kut
8th Gear

Originally Posted by GOLD72
See this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-repair.html

Dorman Kit 14055 Be sure to check the rear tranny housing first to see if the shift cable is still attached to the housing shift lever. Most likely it will be. If so, then it is highly probable that the console shifter forward end of the cable has lost its grommet.
Bought the bushing kits and while struggling to get my hands in to replace the bushing and attach to the shifter I heard the dreaded snap sound of the cable breaking! Overnighted a new shift cable and up on stands proceeded to drop the exhaust, cover pan and replace the cable. I must say it was much easier to attach the cable from below than from the top. Shifting great now. While under the car I dropped the transmission pan and replaced the fluid so it wasn't a total waste. Probably good for another 15 years before the cable needs attention !!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Automatic Tranny Shift Cable Question

Quick Reply: C6 Automatic Tranny Shift Cable Question