C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:09 PM
gskomes
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Header mistake?

Hey guys,

So I cant decide if I should make a change. So I am looking for input or others experience.

I have a 08 Z51, and looking for better performance. I recently bought (3 months ago) 1 7/8 LG Super Pro headers (never installed). I couldn't decide whether to go 1 3/4 or 1 7/8.

When taking to the guy (purchasing from) over the phone he said he thinks 1 7/8 would be better for my goals.

I autocross a number times and try to get in a couple track days (3 a year). So I think I rather go a cam/heads/intake rather than forced induction and trying to get over 520 whp.

Getting to the point after reading more about it (Pros and Cons). Should I try to sell the 1 7/8 headers and pick up LG 1 3/4 Super pros? To get the better performance or with everything I am looking to do with the H/C/I on the engine, would the 1 7/8 Super pros be better for that set up?

Remember, the headers I purchased are still in the box in have not put anything on yet.

Thanks.

Ref:
Bad results:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...xperience.html
Old 11-14-2014, 02:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Considering what you want to do, and the fact that LGM has probably had not just a few but dozens of customers in and with your schedule for their cars, I'd call and speak with Anthony. I don't think he'll try to "sell" you on anything. It's worth it to him for you to be a happy owner not one who feels taken. They're in Plano, TX now; just call and talk with him. My gut impression is you could benefit from either size headers.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:31 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

My thoughts...and I'm going to be a bit general at first

LS1/LS6/LS2....unless you are going stupid radical or a lot of boost 1 3/4" primaries are more than enough to support a solid 500 rwhp build without an issue.

LS3 engines, most street car builds 1 3/4. If we are going on a higher RPM engine, big cam...500+ rwhp then a 1 7/8 typically will show better results 3500 RPM and up.

LS7's 1 3/4 for torque monsters and daily drivers.....1 7/8 for bigger setups.

LS9 1 7/8.

Ok so let's dial in on your car. I start at the least expensive and work my way up. Let's throw out the Street Series because we are already talking about a more mod'd setup. So that leaves a 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 debate. Fully ported heads, big cam, intake, 102 tb, light clutch......you could go one of two ways now. Figure lower RPM street car go for the smaller 1 3/4...if we are going to race this thing and spend a lot of time in the upper RPM range go bigger with the 1 7/8.

So your working 520+ rwhp and spending time on track so....3500 + RPM, 1 7/8.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Nice answer.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

My experience, build the car for the road coarse. Your car will have more than enough torque to rotate your car in second gear required for most Auto-X. Now concentrate the build on the power you want on a road coarse, high rpm horsepower driving.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:06 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I let my installer talk me into the 1 7/8" LG Super Pros with high flow cats, and I'm glad I did. I have 423 rwhp and 425 rwtq. The graph is out here in other posts. Remember that the Super Pros are 3" exhausts and X-pipe, then adapted down to fit the 2 1/2" inlet pipes for the NPP mufflers.

Currently everything else on the 2011 LS3 engine is stock, and I have the stock NPP mufflers also.

It was 409 rwhp without a tune (1st pull, just headers installed). It was 386 rwhp with totally stock everything, for comparisons.

It is also an MN6 dry sump setup.

And, as you know, dyno results vary, that's why I posts all of mine from the same day/same dyno for close as possible for comparison.

Last edited by Seadawg; 11-18-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:02 PM
gskomes
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I am still not a 100% decided, so still thinking about it. I am curious about the mid range power between the two (which on average has better results).

I just see so many past threads going against a 1 7/8 unless you go forced induction, and seeing post of 1 1/3 better torque across the whole board with not much less hp.

I am not rushing into this yet, so I am still just thinking about it.

Seadawg - those are pretty good numbers. For fun I actually picked up a z06 exhaust for under 200 and going to do the "muffer mod" to it. So I will have a 3 in where they connect. I wish I had a dry sump lol.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:19 AM
JaimeVrod
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember that more torque in the low to mid rpm range will only help you if you can put it to the ground without spinning your tires and making smoke. If you are or will already be limited on traction and don't plan to upgrade to drag radials or R compound tires, the go for the 1 7/8" headers and the power higher in the rpm range. That's just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:42 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JaimeVrod
Just remember that more torque in the low to mid rpm range will only help you if you can put it to the ground without spinning your tires and making smoke. If you are or will already be limited on traction and don't plan to upgrade to drag radials or R compound tires, the go for the 1 7/8" headers and the power higher in the rpm range. That's just my opinion.
Yea, search for me OP, and you will see my graph, the torque was still pretty darn good all the way up the range, even though they are the 1 7/8".

And, I really did not want much more mid range torque, I wanted it to be smooth power for now, for less worry about breaking traction in curves. I'll also more than likely go with a centri blower version for that reason too, and have the initial tune for a low boost, to get used to the change in power on the street, because I like to romp it whenever I feel like it, and have it stick.

I'm happy with what I have, but many others are also happy with the 1 3/4" setups too

Get notified of new replies

To Header mistake?

Quick Reply: Header mistake?