C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing the brakes on my GS need a couple of answers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Doing the brakes on my GS need a couple of answers.

I'm doing (strictly for the street) the brake lines (Goodridge), pads (Duralast Gold) and rotors (DBA) on my GS and I need the torque specs on the pad guide pins and caliper bolts plus any pointers that anyone might offer. I did a search but really didn't find much.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:45 PM
D&C vette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Found this:

Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt (JL9, J55) 31 N·m 23 lb ft
Rear Brake Caliper Bolt (J56) 175 N·m 129 lb ft
Front Brake Caliper Bolt (J56) 175 N·m 129 lb ft
Disc Brake Pad Pin (J56) 40 N·m 30 lb ft

I have base model, when I installed the Z06 brakes, the lines did not fit the mounting brackets. Holes had to be enlarged. Nothing other than that.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:16 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

Wow, brake lines need replacing already?
Old 12-12-2014, 12:01 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Wow, brake lines need replacing already?
SS brake lines don't flex as rubber ones do on a hard stop--The flexing can create a soft brake feel---So it's not a matter of the rubber ones being bad--just the SS ones create a firmer brake pedal and better stopping power--------
Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Thanks for the torque specs.

Stainless steel lines are just a nice upgrade while I've got everything apart. I can't honestly say that they will make a difference but their greater resistance to expansion can improve brake response, feel and modulation.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:06 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
SS brake lines don't flex as rubber ones do on a hard stop--The flexing can create a soft brake feel---So it's not a matter of the rubber ones being bad--just the SS ones create a firmer brake pedal and better stopping power--------
I thought that too, I installed SS lines on my 08 for track duty and couldn't tell the difference. There are known issues with over torqued and distorted fithings making this a more difficult job than it should be.

For my GS, I retained the OEM brake lines, they work just fine, my suggestion is if your lines are in great condition, I wold save the extra step and potential headache. YMMV....
Old 12-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Google David farmer racing for a complete list of corvette torque specs. I keep a printed set I my toolbox.

Also, I have read several threads advising against removing the guide pins because they can be seized and the heads break off. I just remove the two caliper bolts when I swap pads. Really easy.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mugen1516
Google David farmer racing for a complete list of corvette torque specs. I keep a printed set I my toolbox.

Also, I have read several threads advising against removing the guide pins because they can be seized and the heads break off. I just remove the two caliper bolts when I swap pads. Really easy.
Thanks for the heads up on the guide pins and I'll check into David Farmer.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:37 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
I thought that too, I installed SS lines on my 08 for track duty and couldn't tell the difference. There are known issues with over torqued and distorted fithings making this a more difficult job than it should be.

For my GS, I retained the OEM brake lines, they work just fine, my suggestion is if your lines are in great condition, I wold save the extra step and potential headache. YMMV....
Other than bling, no need to swap the lines. You won't feel or see one iota of improvement.

Get notified of new replies

To Doing the brakes on my GS need a couple of answers.

Quick Reply: Doing the brakes on my GS need a couple of answers.