C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:53 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default TPMS Confusion

I did all the searches and nothing seems to address my particular situation.

Car: 2008 Z06

I just put new tires on the car with different wheels and pressure sensors.

I went through the relearn procedure and when I was done I realized that the car was not honking. The tool (TIPS) was acting fine.

So, I tried it again. The car did not honk when I pressed and held the Lock and unlock buttons. No indication that it was in relearn mode.

Question 1: is there supposed to be a message on the DIC when it goes into relearn mode?

I drove the car for a half hour at all different speeds. There was no messages, no lights, and the tire pressures seemed to be reading OK. They went up from 30 to 32 as I drove and while I was sitting at lights they came down to 30/31.

Question 2: Did it learn the new sensors without honking the horn?

I'm so confused.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:23 AM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow95

I went through the relearn procedure and when I was done I realized that the car was not honking. The tool (TIPS) was acting fine.

So, I tried it again. The car did not honk when I pressed and held the Lock and unlock buttons. No indication that it was in relearn mode.

Question 1: is there supposed to be a message on the DIC when it goes into relearn mode?

I drove the car for a half hour at all different speeds. There was no messages, no lights, and the tire pressures seemed to be reading OK. They went up from 30 to 32 as I drove and while I was sitting at lights they came down to 30/31.

I'm so confused.
If your car is performing fine, reading the sensors, not throwing service TPMS messages, who cares if the car honked or not...

I changed wheels and tires years ago, went through the learning TPMS process, and couldn't get the last tire to honk, AND got the Service message. Tried it over and over, car was only reading three wheels. GAH DAM!

Turns out my tune in the PCM was locked which won't allow the car to relearn new TPMS without unlocking first.

Good luck!

Keith
Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I recently put new tires and tpms on my 2005 and when I went to programmed them the same thing happened to me. Put in acc, hold lock and unlock, no horn honk or dic indication but when I went around each wheel the horn honked and all is fine.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:30 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Spying Beast
If your car is performing fine, reading the sensors, not throwing service TPMS messages, who cares if the car honked or not...

I changed wheels and tires years ago, went through the learning TPMS process, and couldn't get the last tire to honk, AND got the Service message. Tried it over and over, car was only reading three wheels. GAH DAM!

Turns out my tune in the PCM was locked which won't allow the car to relearn new TPMS without unlocking first.

Good luck!

Keith

I'm getting new wheels for my '13 that has the Diablo Intune, engine and tranny tunes. Will that create a problem when they "relearn" the sensors on the new wheels? Asked the question on Diablo forum, as well. Easy enough to return the car to stock first, but don't want to if it isn't necessary. You didn't mention what tune you had, but glad I read the post to ask the question!
Old 03-07-2015, 12:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow95

I'm so confused.
One question...where are your old sensors located now. Are they close to the car in the garage? It takes about 20 miles on the highway for the car to notify the driver if all four sensors are absent. If you never got any honks at all when doing the relearn, then I doubt that it happened. The car will not learn the new sensors all by itself. If the old sensors are near the car in the garage, the system can be fooled and it will appear to the driver that it is all working fine...until about 20 miles passes on the highway. If the car only takes short trips and the old sensors are near the car in the garage, the system will appear to be working when it is actually not. This could go on for a long time, until a longer trip is taken away from the garage.

One other question...is your horn working? If not, then the whole thing could happen without notifying you.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 PM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
I'm getting new wheels for my '13 that has the Diablo Intune, engine and tranny tunes. Will that create a problem when they "relearn" the sensors on the new wheels? Asked the question on Diablo forum, as well. Easy enough to return the car to stock first, but don't want to if it isn't necessary. You didn't mention what tune you had, but glad I read the post to ask the question!
Your Diablo intune has nothing to do with reprogramming your new or old tpm sensors.

Last edited by dentalfloss; 03-07-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
PCM tunes have nothing to do with the TPMS system. They are restricted to the ECM and are not involved with any of the other processors on the car. You could wipe out the ECM tune and not affect anything.

Bill
Old 03-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

If you truly had it in learn mode having your old sensors near the car would not have caused an issue. In learn mode the car is waiting to receive a signal from a tire pressure sensor and it is highly unlikely that one of the old ones would wait to transmit at the same time the car was waiting to be reprogrammed. A fair number of programming tools don't indicate the sensor broadcasts a message. The car honk is the only way you know the sensor made a broadcast.

Tire Pressure Indicator Sensor Learn
Learn Mode Description
The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System uses the keyless entry transmitter, body control module (BCM), remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors, and the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after every tire rotation, RCDLR replacement, or sensor replacement. Once the learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification codes can be learned into the RCDLRs memory. When a sensor ID has been learned, the RCDLR sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted its ID and the RCDLR has received and learned it. The RCDLR must learn the sensor IDs in the proper sequence to determine correct sensor location. The first learned ID is assigned to the left front location, the second to right front, the third to right rear and the fourth to left rear.

Sensor Functions Using J-46079
Each sensor has an internal low frequency coil. When the J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool is used in activate mode, it produces a low frequency transmission that activates the sensor. The sensor responds to an low frequency activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensors ID to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

Learn Mode Cancellation
The learn mode will cancel if the ignition is cycled to OFF or if more than 2 minutes has elapsed for any sensor that has not been learned. If the learn mode is cancelled, the original sensor IDs will be maintained. If the learn mode is cancelled after any sensor is learned, the DIC will display dashes instead of tire pressures for the remaining unlearned sensors and the learn procedure will need to be repeated for the system to function properly.

TPM Learn Procedure
Important: Before proceeding, ensure that no other learn procedure is being performed simultaneously or that tire pressures are not being adjusted on another TPM equipped vehicle within close proximity. Stray signals from other TPM equipped vehicles just driving by can be inadvertently learned. If any random horn chirps are heard from the vehicle while performing the learn procedure, most likely a stray sensor has been learned and the procedure will need to be cancelled and repeated. Under these circumstances, performing the TPM Learn Procedure away from other vehicles would be highly recommended. In the event a particular sensor activation does not cause the horn to chirp, it may be necessary to rotate the wheel valve stem to a different position due to the sensor signal is being blocked by another component.

Place the electronic keyless ignition in the ACCY position.
Using a scan tool, initiate the TPM Learn Mode. A horn chirp will sound indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled.
Starting with the left front tire, hold the antenna of the J-46079 aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp.
After the horn chirp has sounded, repeat step 3 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:
• Right front

• Right rear

• Left rear

After the LR sensor has been learned, a double horn chirp will sound indicating all sensors have been learned.
Place the electronic keyless ignition in the OFF position to exit the learn mode.
After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures. Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Placard, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label .
Old 03-07-2015, 06:15 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
PCM tunes have nothing to do with the TPMS system. They are restricted to the ECM and are not involved with any of the other processors on the car. You could wipe out the ECM tune and not affect anything.

Bill
Got it. Thanx Bill and Floss. Didn't think so, but the referenced post got me wondering.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:07 AM
cclive
Team Owner

That's interesting Bill...that procedure is different than it is on my car. I hold the lock and unlock button on the fob after putting the car in ACC. I wouldn't know how to use the TPM tool to put the car in learn mode.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Update:

Went to the track over the weekend and all was fine. Sensors worked fine. 125 miles to track, 150 miles on track, 125 miles home.

I came home and swapped wheels and tires but did not reset the sensors. I drove for a while and no pressure changes were registered. The values stayed at about 30 lbs.

I rest the sensors same as before, no honk, no DIC message. Pressures immediate changed readings to about 34 and they change as I drive.

I have to assume it is in learn mode and learning without the honks.

Horn works, guy on freeway learned that when he tried to change lanes while talking on his phone. I hope he didn't break it when he dropped it.

I use the option that the horn does not honk when the car locks. I wonder if that is connected.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by cclive
That's interesting Bill...that procedure is different than it is on my car. I hold the lock and unlock button on the fob after putting the car in ACC. I wouldn't know how to use the TPM tool to put the car in learn mode.
They aren't talking about the TPMS tool. When they say scan tool they are talking about the Tech 2. That is why the Tech 2 is such a powerful tool, it not only reads codes and data it also commands the car to do certain things and in some cases can determine if the car responded properly to the command.

Bill
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
They aren't talking about the TPMS tool. When they say scan tool they are talking about the Tech 2. That is why the Tech 2 is such a powerful tool, it not only reads codes and data it also commands the car to do certain things and in some cases can determine if the car responded properly to the command.

Bill
Thanks for the clarification... makes sense now. I can't figure why his horn is not honking when the programming is obviously being done. Weird!

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Confusion

Quick Reply: TPMS Confusion