C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4 Mile Noob here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 02:56 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
Congratulations on the outstanding improvements and kudos for the wonderful documentation of your escapades!

I'm in a similar situation as you (about 1 step behind as I'm contemplating a clutch as my next mod so I can start launching aggressively) and has been incredibly germane!

Looking forward to congratulating you on your inevitable 10-second pass soon.

BTW, does the track you race at give you any grief re: not having a rollbar in your car at your performance level?
Thanks man I really appreciate that, I really had a blast today. I wouldn't have been able to approach my launch they way i did without 2 things.

1 Help from RobZ and JoeG through here and Sébast19X who gave some input but not in this thread. I was able to contact him and like the 2 others provided amazing help.

2, THE CLUTCH. I didn't realize it first, my first pass went 11.80 @ 128.15mph. I notice a good trap speed, but my 2.18 60ft result from a complete bog at 3000rpm at launch. I repeated same scenerio next run. result: Same bog, went 11.78 @ 127.67 with again poor 2.01 60ft. Felt like I was getting the exact performance as before.

Then decided to try launching at 4000rpm, which gain some postive results. went PB out of no where and got 11.35 @ 125.28. bogged much less and managed 1.74 60ft.

Cranked it up to 4500rpm, and the magic started. I have multiple 11.2 passes, which are not great for the car, but are for me and the clutch was a big key on how I was able to get that power down. I would have to re-install the old one, and go back out there to prove it, since my skill set and knowledge have grown a little. but I just can't imagine the stocker being able to achieve what the ZR1 clutch did for me today.

As far as the rollbar. No, this track is my back yard and they are a little laid back with that. Helmet's are a must 12.99 and faster or any drop top. I am making good friends with the owner, he just loves the car and going through video, you can hear him on the mic using my car in a promoting fashion for the spectators. I grew up at this track but ironically have next to no expeirence on one lol. Well i did get 22 passes in so currently sitting at 40. I just graduated from level 0 to level 1.

Last edited by rpmextra; 07-05-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:39 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

my little claim to fame lol. Track owner loves me or the car....either way, a good friend to have Can't wait to get back out there
Old 07-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Heading out again today?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:22 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Heading out again today?
No I'd love too but sundays are for the wife and my baby girl. Somthings up with the exhaust. on the way back i was banging underneath i think. Knock sensor might pick it up and retard my timing.

It's really humid today I was just out in the backyard picking up a bit of garbage and i'm soaked and it's only 10.13am meaning i was out about 9am am it's already that bad. I wouldn't get much runs in today between the finals with the pro's anyways, and I woudn't mind getting the car up on my hoist and doing a little once over, flush that clutch fluid as you suggested as well.

I do have 2 runs on one data log yesterday for you Joe. I did set up the laptop but the guy running the lanes spotted it and asked me to put it away and secure. didn't want loose objects. So i had to use the interface. problem is renaming the files on the fly like "4500k 11.47 @124 1.79 60ft" or something to keep them nice and tidey. I will remove the passenger seat next session and secure a little laptop setup to get it nicely going and organized.

Now i want those skinnies bad lol.

Any comments towards the stock oem shifter. is the mgw really that good?
Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Resist the urge for more mods! Take the time to practice and maximize your performance. The stock shifter is great. Those drills Ranger wrote about really work, do them.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:35 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Resist the urge for more mods! Take the time to practice and maximize your performance. The stock shifter is great. Those drills Ranger wrote about really work, do them.
yes ok. i saw him comment that he liked the stock one more so than aftermarket.

i should do those drills more often for sure.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:20 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Great job. When I get a minute later I'll go thru the thread and videos and give my feedback and we can all collaborate and make a game plan for next time out. Great progress!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:45 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default 1/4 Mile Noob here!

congrats on the new pb! For those that currently can't make it to the track we live vicariously thru those that do. I hope to improve on my 11.59 pb next time out.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:51 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robz
Great job. When I get a minute later I'll go thru the thread and videos and give my feedback and we can all collaborate and make a game plan for next time out. Great progress!

thanks RobZ am so happy about yesterday, and yeah no worries take your time we got all week
Old 07-05-2015, 01:54 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by brewcitygymratt
congrats on the new pb! For those that currently can't make it to the track we live vicariously thru those that do. I hope to improve on my 11.59 pb next time out.
Hey Thanks, if you were pulling that 11.59 last night you would have been 2nd fastest (street) guy there. You said you couldn't make it there, not sure if you meant mechanically or time wise. Hope you get back out there soon. I'm sure that PB will be broken soon enough
Old 07-05-2015, 02:21 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks, for me it's just time wise and weather wise. The days I was free was raining or trying to get people free'd up to go to video the passes.
My local track is similar to yours(650elevation) and laid back with tech. It's an ihra track and tech said as long as I'm running no quicker than 11.25 I don't need a certified jacket or roll bar.
I have a little heads cam ls2 with a stall converter that's in serious need of the driver mod. I can't get a sub 1.8 60 yet but hopefully with the line lock and a proper burnout I can improve, not to mention A Lot more practice. I use a hand control(paraplegic) so I just have to get comfortable doing line lock burnouts without steering(one hand for gas, one for line lock button).
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I noticed that in your profile and didn't want to comment on that. but since you opened the door, that is impressive as heck.

I have no experience with launching auto, don't have much with 40 passes with manuals. If you are hooking hard and not getting better times, you may need a bigger stall? but then again i know very little about auto's and what I know is from being a mechanic.

Good luck
Old 07-05-2015, 03:10 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

St. Jude Donor '13

It sounds like we have very similar amount of passes only mine being an auto. I do plan on a restall over winter from the 3000 to 3600 or 3800. My goal is to drive to the track and run 10's as it stands in daily driver mode(no skinnies, seat delete etc).
Good luck too on getting closer to 10.99!

Last edited by brewcitygymratt; 07-05-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:17 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by brewcitygymratt
It sounds like we have very similar amount of passes only mine being an auto. I do plan on a restall over winter from the 3000 to 3600 or 3800. My goal is to drive to the track and run 10's as it stands in daily driver mode(no skinnies, seat delete etc).
Good luck too on getting closer to 10.99!
Thank you. Good luck on your similar journey
Old 07-06-2015, 07:59 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rpmextra
Thank you. Good luck on your similar journey
You did great. The general vibe I get from the videos is that you need to launch higher and on the throttle quicker. Just not sure if the clutch will hold but if it wants to smoke and slip too much you must get off the clutch quicker too. But sometimes it smokes a bit as you break it in. I'd like to see a little more burnout but not at the expense of the clutch. Remember cold clutch is key. You must dump the clutch at 5000 rpm-ish in the burnout and get on the brakes asap. And I'd like to see about 10 quality passes. 20+ is too many.lol
FYI: Seb has to launch lower because his clutch hits much harder. So you are on your way. You can get it done just the way the car sits with a 1.6x. Some colder air and crisper shifts will do it. No doubt the 60' will improve. And I'm sure the videos weren't your best launches.

Recap:
Better burnout but dump clutch at high rpm.
Shallow stage better.
Higher rpm launch with a faster throttle squeeze and clutch release.

Give clutch a rest between runs. Sometimes we use a broom handle with rubber stoppers to hold the cut pedal in between runs in the pits.

Do Ranger shifting drills at home.

When you get the 1.5x be ready to pull 2nd asap because most likely you will hit the limiter in 1st from not being used to the rpms climbing and cars acceleration.
You did things right and through a progression which helps you learn what works and doesn't work so it sticks in your mind. Often it's the mistakes that allow you to understand more and progress quicker. Same as in life I gather. So thanks for sharing and keep it safe.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:04 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Keep firing questions if you have them. And listen to Joe G.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM
BayAreaSS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on making huge improvements. It's great seeing RobZ and JoeG help out so much

Get notified of new replies

To 1/4 Mile Noob here!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:58 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Congrats on making huge improvements. It's great seeing RobZ and JoeG help out so much
Thank you. I really do feel blessed as I am positive that not everyone gets fortunate enough to get 3 on 1 professional consulting (Rob, Joe, & Seb) I understand that, and what to make them proud and "listen" to what the are saying and practice what they are preaching. I am very lucky to say the least. I feel like made such great progress in one sweep. going from 11.58 to 11.12 is more than i could have hoped for that's 1/2 second.
RobZ:

- I totally agree about the too many passes. However, if I had cut it to 10 this last outing, I would have to count slips, but think that 11.12 pass would not have occured. That being said, I doubt I'd duplicate that kind of progress in any one seesion ever again. To clarify what i mean is I expect to get better, but now with my better starting point, another 1/2 second drop in et would not happen next time out. edit: but from here out, no more 22 passes promise. got some valuable seat time though

- The burnout: I did have a bit of an issue getting you the best footage as I never got my best runs filmed. The best launch started with my first attempt at a 2nd gear burnout and it was great. resulted in a good grab and 1.62 60ft. I agree i need some practice at it. The video's that I posted, if I let off, it was either wheel hop or the car was coming out sideways in the back that made me pull out. I have a couple pretty good ones and getting more consistent with practice

- I really like and understand your input about holding the clutch pedal down between runs. makes so much sense to have the clutch discs disengaged to give some clearance and allow them to cool down more efficiently. great piece of info there, being a tech i can full appreciate that, will do so on the regular. I will just use a soft poll and use the base of the seat and with electric seat move it forward to push the pedal in.

- I was thinking that 4800-5000 launch would yield better results and glad you said the same as I at least know I'm thinking the right way. It means I'm learning lol. I was told that no smoke from clutch occured on my 11.1-11.2 passes. I slipped the clutch on purpose trying to achieve a better result. I would need to go back through the thread but I think it was Joe that said something along the lines of "sometimes i release the clutch slower than you think you should" I went maybe a littler slower than that lol on those passes. The clutch feels strong got better throughout.

- Ranger shifting drills: I was aware of them but only did them a few times (shame on me) I will rectify this and me being off work this week I will do at least 2 sets a day till next session. It's free, it works, I would be crazy not to listen.

- Shallow staging: Do you mean stop as soon as the 2nd light illuminates? was I too deep in the light? easy fix just wanna make sure

Thanks again

Last edited by rpmextra; 07-06-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:28 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rpmextra
Thank you. I really do feel blessed as I am positive that not everyone gets fortunate enough to get 3 on 1 professional consulting (Rob, Joe, & Seb) I understand that, and what to make them proud and "listen" to what the are saying and practice what they are preaching. I am very lucky to say the least. I feel like made such great progress in one sweep. going from 11.58 to 11.12 is more than i could have hoped for that's 1/2 second.
RobZ:

- I totally agree about the too many passes. However, if I had cut it to 10 this last outing, I would have to count slips, but think that 11.12 pass would not have occured. That being said, I doubt I'd duplicate that kind of progress in any one seesion ever again. To clarify what i mean is I expect to get better, but now with my better starting point, another 1/2 second drop in et would not happen next time out. edit: but from here out, no more 22 passes promise. got some valuable seat time though

- The burnout: I did have a bit of an issue getting you the best footage as I never got my best runs filmed. The best launch started with my first attempt at a 2nd gear burnout and it was great. resulted in a good grab and 1.62 60ft. I agree i need some practice at it. The video's that I posted, if I let off, it was either wheel hop or the car was coming out sideways in the back that made me pull out. I have a couple pretty good ones and getting more consistent with practice

- I really like and understand your input about holding the clutch pedal down between runs. makes so much sense to have the clutch discs disengaged to give some clearance and allow them to cool down more efficiently. great piece of info there, being a tech i can full appreciate that, will do so on the regular. I will just use a soft poll and use the base of the seat and with electric seat move it forward to push the pedal in.

- I was thinking that 4800-5000 launch would yield better results and glad you said the same as I at least know I'm thinking the right way. It means I'm learning lol. I was told that no smoke from clutch occured on my 11.1-11.2 passes. I slipped the clutch on purpose trying to achieve a better result. I would need to go back through the thread but I think it was Joe that said something along the lines of "sometimes i release the clutch slower than you think you should" I went maybe a littler slower than that lol on those passes. The clutch feels strong got better throughout.

- Ranger shifting drills: I was aware of them but only did them a few times (shame on me) I will rectify this and me being off work this week I will do at least 2 sets a day till next session. It's free, it works, I would be crazy not to listen.

- Shallow staging: Do you mean stop as soon as the 2nd light illuminates? was I too deep in the light? easy fix just wanna make sure

Thanks again
20 passes Saturday- no problem-you needed them but you won't need as many going forward aND more time for clurch to coil down. Also you don't want coolant too hot in certain cases.

Shallow stage-yes, if your not getting the 2nd bulb to flicker every once in a while then you are going in too quickly to full stage.

I get the feeling, without knowing that clutch, that it will inherently slip on the launch if you are a bit too quick with the clutch release.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by robz
20 passes Saturday- no problem-you needed them but you won't need as many going forward aND more time for clurch to coil down. Also you don't want coolant too hot in certain cases.

Shallow stage-yes, if your not getting the 2nd bulb to flicker every once in a while then you are going in too quickly to full stage.

I get the feeling, without knowing that clutch, that it will inherently slip on the launch if you are a bit too quick with the clutch release.
Though I haven't driven a zr1, I think based on watching FARTPIPE's record setting run on video and from his scan, when he slipped the clutch just like I do, this ZR1 clutch will take the slip technique that I like to use.

rpmextra I can tell you that as I learned this technique, I did a few times release it too slow, and when that happens, you will smoke the clutch and it'll just slip to redline and you'll feel the car not moving. I can also tell you that my clutch recovered from that going down the strip, I made it an easy run and it was good to go after a cool down. I don't relish that smell though, burned clutch has a definite smell that you won't forget, like you never forget how bad 90 weight smells and how hard it is to get off your hands.

So I think you could test the upper limits of your rpm/accelerating into the release and slow the release just a smidgen next time out. And take the passenger seat out to save weight and go as low on fuel as you can. Weight really matters.

As Rob noted, I do pump my clutch after the burnout a bunch of times, and again after the pass. My clutch pedal always feels stiff after the pass but after a pump or two feels normal.

I also prefer the first gear burnout, it's easier to get started and easier on the clutch. Try that next time. Remember if you botch the burnout you won't get a good pass so back into the water again and try again.

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Noob here!