C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:24 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Brake Calipers

At what year, if at all, do the calipers change on a C6 Base coupe, non-Z51 equipted car.

'Nuther words, are the front and the rear calipers the same for 2005 through 2013. Yes, I know there is a difference between the fronts and the rears themselves. Heh.

I want to pick up a set of used calipers, take them apart, and have them powder coated. I will rebuild them once done.

I know this isn't the for sale and wanted section, but..if you have a set sitting around, I'd be interested...

Thanks!

Joe
Old 07-04-2015, 07:58 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

They are all the same on the base cars. The Z51 has a slightly smaller piston in the rear than the base. The base and Z51 just have different caliper brackets.

Z06, GS and ZR1 are different. Z06 and GS have junk PBR brakes and ZR1 has Brembo.

Other may disagree with my opinion of the Z06/GS brakes because they do look good.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by timd38
They are all the same on the base cars. The Z51 has a slightly smaller piston in the rear than the base. The base and Z51 just have different caliper brackets.

Z06, GS and ZR1 are different. Z06 and GS have junk PBR brakes and ZR1 has Brembo.

Other may disagree with my opinion of the Z06/GS brakes because they do look good.
But only kinda, since non-Z51 doesn't mean JL9 base brakes.
The smaller piston rear caliper was used with all J55 brakes. J55 is the RPO code for the brakes used on the Z51 option '05-'09, the F55 option '07-'13, and the stand alone J55 option '05-'13. The smaller piston compensated for the larger diameter rotor, which then gave the front and rear the same proportions as the JL9 base brakes. Using the small piston rear calipers on JL9 rotors will make a slight difference that will only be noticed at brake lockup.

GM advertised stopping distances from 60-0 for the base car at 116' and the Z06 at 113'. While the Z06/GS (J56) brakes offer better fade resistance on the track, they sure don't mean much beyond appearance for the street. A more aggressive pad on the base brakes will match the street performance of the bigger brakes.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:47 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
:

GM advertised stopping distances from 60-0 for the base car at 116' and the Z06 at 113'. While the Z06/GS (J56) brakes offer better fade resistance on the track, they sure don't mean much beyond appearance for the street. A more aggressive pad on the base brakes will match the street performance of the bigger brakes.
The Z51 had better tires than a base car, so my bet is that the better tires of the Z51, would help with the 3 foot gap.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

The Z51 had better tires than a base car, so my bet is that the better tires of the Z51, would help with the 3 foot gap.
The J55 HD brake pads helped with this number as well.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dano523
The J55 HD brake pads helped with this number as well.
The 3' difference was between the base with JL9 brakes (not J55/Z51 equipped) and Z06. It's possible the Z51 optioned car was equal or better than the Z06, but if you were in advertising, you'd never tell anyone that.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:40 PM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just curious, why not just park your car on jack stands, and take your calipers apart and get them powder coated?

Maybe you can find a set of used calipers from someone who has changed them out. I am sure there are some out there. Unless you plan to only powder coat the calipers, You would also need another set of brackets.

Having powder coated my own, I know it shouldn't take too long to get them powder coated and back on the car. Also, some shops may have cores, calipers and brackets, available in the color you want, they just need a core charge, and your parts in exchange for your core charge.

In this photo, both the caliper and the bracket have been powder coated.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:18 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rado63
Just curious, why not just park your car on jack stands, and take your calipers apart and get them powder coated?

Welp..Simple answer, my Corvette is my daily driver, my work and pleasure vehicle. My job (I'm AM retired, but)...my specialty is still in high demand, so I travel a lot, and many times, on an hour's notice. I simply cannot afford to have my car tied up for 2 or 3 days.

Maybe you can find a set of used calipers from someone who has changed them out. I am sure there are some out there. Unless you plan to only powder coat the calipers, You would also need another set of brackets.

I already have a pair of rears, all I need now are the fronts. And the brackets for all 4 brakes. Cores for Corvette brakes are not in great supply...I tried finding them already. I can buy rebuilt fronts for $130.00 but would still have to buy new rebuild kits after I break them apart to powder coat them.

Having powder coated my own, I know it shouldn't take too long to get them powder coated and back on the car. Also, some shops may have cores, calipers and brackets, available in the color you want, they just need a core charge, and your parts in exchange for your core charge.

In this photo, both the caliper and the bracket have been powder coated.
Your calipers look nice. As I said, I am getting tired of repainting mine every year.

Too short? Hell, I just typed 5 words! LOL

Joe
Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 AM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I painted my daughters calipers on her new Camaro. Used the special caliper paint. Duplicolor I think. Hard to tell difference between powder coat and painted. And you don't have to take anything apart.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:28 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

That is what I used, Duplicolor caliper paint. (Blue) Have to repaint every year. It darkens with age. (Heat?)
Old 07-09-2015, 11:58 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
I painted my daughters calipers on her new Camaro. Used the special caliper paint. Duplicolor I think. Hard to tell difference between powder coat and painted. And you don't have to take anything apart.
Originally Posted by MCharlie
That is what I used, Duplicolor caliper paint. (Blue) Have to repaint every year. It darkens with age. (Heat?)
It's not necessary to use "caliper paint", since ordinary rattle can paint (temperature range starts at 350*) will easily stand up to the temperatures of calipers.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:15 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

If your looking at powder coating your calipers we have sets that are predone, rebuilt and have colors available... We can make them any color you want and have cores alot of times

Here's a link of colors we have pre-done and samples of what we have done...

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/corvet...alipers-3.html

Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Calipers

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers