C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are tunnel plates worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:54 AM
C7BlackRose
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are tunnel plates worth the effort?

I've been considering placing a tunnel plate on my 2005 C6 convertible, but am not sure it is worth the effort of attaching the plate. Two questions: 1) Does the plate really help reduce the chassis flex and the creaking noises we get with our convertibles? 2) If they do help, which company has the best tunnel plate? LG Motorsports or the TPS Motorsports plate with the thermal coating? Or is there another company I don't know about which has a good tunnel plate? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:57 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have coated one. Installed about 8 years ago and would do again. Less heat in the cockpit and the doors open fine when I jack one corner up.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I have coated one. Installed about 8 years ago and would do again. Less heat in the cockpit and the doors open fine when I jack one corner up.
Helped with heat most for me. I also added heat insulation under the inside console.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6montereyred
I've been considering placing a tunnel plate on my 2005 C6 convertible, but am not sure it is worth the effort of attaching the plate. Two questions: 1) Does the plate really help reduce the chassis flex and the creaking noises we get with our convertibles? 2) If they do help, which company has the best tunnel plate? LG Motorsports or the TPS Motorsports plate with the thermal coating? Or is there another company I don't know about which has a good tunnel plate? Thanks for your help.
U do know that you all ready have a tunnel plate in place right?

The aftermarket plates are thicker and some are insulated but all use the factory mounting bolts

Dave
Old 02-14-2016, 11:08 PM
C7BlackRose
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave; yes I know the C6 Corvette has a thin plate, but I was wondering if the aftermarket tunnel plates would improve the creaks and flex of our convertibles. Richard
Old 02-15-2016, 01:02 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 05C6montereyred
Dave; yes I know the C6 Corvette has a thin plate, but I was wondering if the aftermarket tunnel plates would improve the creaks and flex of our convertibles. Richard
Only marginally and probably not enough to notice. The attachment screws are less than 3/16" diameter and have a washer to keep them from falling through the nearly 1/2" holes. That's because the plate is right next to the exhaust pipes and it has to expand and contract quite a bit. That also means the flex limitation is related torsionally to the thickness and alloy. Doubling or tripling the thickness would help, but not a lot.
You might find it easier to simply use 2 tunnel plates and weld or bolt them together.
The following users liked this post:
Z5108 (02-15-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 09:57 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed Elite Engineering's 1/4" Aluminum Ceramic Coated Tunnel Plate with Thermal-Abs on my 2000 FRC. For the C5 platform, I did notice a huge difference in the amount of flex in the car, (in a good way).

I now have a 2007 coupe but I don't think there would be as great a benefit in changing it out this time.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:27 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
Is it really ok to jack just one corner of these cars up at a time? I've always lifted whole front or rear up at the same time I fear of damaging the removable top....
Old 02-28-2016, 02:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Is it really ok to jack just one corner of these cars up at a time? I've always lifted whole front or rear up at the same time I fear of damaging the removable top....
Yes. The frame is so stiff, that it's possible (I've done it) to have one corner supported (jack, jackstand, etc) and have all the weight on the opposite corner. You can then rock the car back and forth by hand to get the other two tires touching the ground. Kinda shocked me at first too.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:43 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

I got a heat shield and install it on the oem plate helped with the heat a lot on my 2011 gs I didn't see need to add weight as car is plenty stiff.

Get notified of new replies

To Are tunnel plates worth the effort?

Quick Reply: Are tunnel plates worth the effort?