C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer blew my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 03:02 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Looks nice. I've always liked the Grand Sports
Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Looks nice. I've always liked the Grand Sports
Thank you. I saw the year, 2010 and was thinking it probably had 40k or 50k miles on it but when I got the fob from Jim, 20,950 on the clock. And you could tell it hadn't been driven much. The usual paint issues from wide tires were not there and the seats look barely sat in. Even Dwayne Lanes said they thought another track car with a blown engine until they walked out and saw the condition of the car, then they got the story from Rairdons and it all clicked. All the stars aligned for us on this car and Bing, bang, boom we were driving it home. I just kick myself for not changing the oil myself before I took it in for the PDI. I was stressing about that all week as I watched the oil life go to 8% and I really didn't want anyone else messing with it for the exact reason of what happened. Hinde site is 20/20 though, huh? Dang it.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

It was with the same original owner for 4 years, then sold, then traded in. Then the last owner traded it in after only a month of ownership. I found out he was 6'8" and 400#. He said he could not fit in it comfortably. He got a scat pack challenger which you could have a disco party in one of those complete with the ball hanging from the dome light. Lol
Old 05-04-2016, 03:31 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah, 6'8" is definitely not a good fit for one of these.. hopefully it serves you well for a long time.
The following users liked this post:
Rjhctrapp (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:42 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Beautiful car. When do you get to bring it home?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:40 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rjhctrapp
...The seat gave me a big ole hug and I was hooked.
I know the feeling!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:37 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by jashmore1234
They can't do an oil change, what are the odds they will get an engine swap right.
OP said the car was damaged at a Dodge dealer, not a Chevy dealer.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:09 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
and the point is ?
Old 05-05-2016, 01:09 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by walleyejack
and the point is ?
The point is I quoted some one who said: "They can't do an oil change, what are the odds they will get an engine swap right." I merely pointed out that the Chevy dealer didn't cause the issue, the Dodge dealer did. It's the Chevy dealer doing the engine change, not the Dodge dealer.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
The point is I quoted some one who said: "They can't do an oil change, what are the odds they will get an engine swap right." I merely pointed out that the Chevy dealer didn't cause the issue, the Dodge dealer did. It's the Chevy dealer doing the engine change, not the Dodge dealer.
right on,,I misunderstood
Old 05-05-2016, 02:08 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by walleyejack
right on,,I misunderstood
no harm, no foul.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Beautiful car. When do you get to bring it home?
They ordered the engine Monday 5/2 and the service manager said it will take 5-7 days to get the engine, and another 5-7 to replace it. I told him no hurry, take their time. Flat rate only gives him 24 hours to r&r. But I'd rather the tech take his time and not hurry just so he can be thorough.
So my understanding is they place the order for the engine, GM performance hand builds the engine, serializes to my vin, ships out. So I'll receive a signed LS3 by the builder just like the engine previous to it. What I'm surprised at is the 3/100k warranty. Pretty crazy.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by 3X2
If the Dodge dealer would have insisted on replacing the engine, I'm confident I can say I would have walked away, just on the no competence in the service department.if they can't change the oil properly, how the hell can they r&r the engine, and would they try to do a junk yard engine? Who knows.
Maybe I have a false sense of security now that a Chevrolet dealer has it, just have to see when I get it back. Squeaks and rattles bug the **** out of me so I hope they are thorough.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:34 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

So my understanding is they place the order for the engine, GM performance hand builds the engine, serializes to my vin, ships out. So I'll receive a signed LS3 by the builder just like the engine previous to it. What I'm surprised at is the 3/100k warranty. Pretty crazy.
It will be an LS3 crate motor, not specific to any VIN.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by erick_e
It will be an LS3 crate motor, not specific to any VIN.
We will have to see. The service manager said it will be serialized to my car. I've never had this done before so it will be a lesson for me when the paperwork arrives with the crate engine.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:07 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

I suggest you have these replaced: oil cooler pipes, oil cooler, both hoses to the dry sump tank. Also have the tank disassembled and cleaned. I would also replace the clutch and slave and add a remote bleeder, even if you have to pay for these. There is also a special policy for replacing the clutch master, I'd have them do that also. ****important**** make sure the trans fluid gets refilled. It will drain out from the open cooler pipes enough to cause damage if not refilled.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:04 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

They ordered the engine Monday 5/2 and the service manager said it will take 5-7 days to get the engine, and another 5-7 to replace it. I told him no hurry, take their time. Flat rate only gives him 24 hours to r&r. But I'd rather the tech take his time and not hurry just so he can be thorough.
Chances are that the engine is in stock somewhere (the Wixom PBC closed a couple years ago) and the shipping by common carrier will take the 5-7 days they generously estimated. It's possible that the Wixom facility built a number of spare engines before they closed and are just in storage in MI. It's not likely they will use the Bowling Green plant to build new LS3 engines unless all the spares get used up. You might ask to see the shipping documents (BOL) to see the point of origin. You'll also get to check the plate to see if by chance that it was the same builder who attached his name to the engine.

I've never seen a method that allows verification of engine serial numbers to be attached to a VIN. Maybe the dealer will just take off the bar code labels from your current engine and glue them on the new one. GM performance gives a 2/50 warranty on standard crank crate motors, so apparently someone is picking up the difference on your's.

I'm glad this is all working out to make you happy. You'll have fun when it's all in the past.
The following users liked this post:
Rjhctrapp (05-06-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer blew my engine.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:22 AM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by spdkilz911
This. There are plenty out there.

Last edited by Ron'sGS; 05-06-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:21 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Chances are that the engine is in stock somewhere (the Wixom PBC closed a couple years ago) and the shipping by common carrier will take the 5-7 days they generously estimated. It's possible that the Wixom facility built a number of spare engines before they closed and are just in storage in MI. It's not likely they will use the Bowling Green plant to build new LS3 engines unless all the spares get used up. You might ask to see the shipping documents (BOL) to see the point of origin. You'll also get to check the plate to see if by chance that it was the same builder who attached his name to the engine.

I've never seen a method that allows verification of engine serial numbers to be attached to a VIN. Maybe the dealer will just take off the bar code labels from your current engine and glue them on the new one. GM performance gives a 2/50 warranty on standard crank crate motors, so apparently someone is picking up the difference on your's.

I'm glad this is all working out to make you happy. You'll have fun when it's all in the past.
I won't be heart broke if it's not all the fan fare of signed and hand built, Yada, Yada Yada, but I just hope when I get it back that the car is done right. That's the big ? Waiting sucks though!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

OMG take your money and RUN! Go find another car to fall in love with. There are TONS of C6s of all types, all colors, all options that have low miles and been well maintained (don't know why people don't enjoy their purchases more, but I digress...) you'll have no problem finding one again.

Quick Reply: Dealer blew my engine.