C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey guys...newbie question here...Harmonic Balancer related

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:44 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Hey guys...newbie question here...Harmonic Balancer related

It was confirmed today the source of my vibration is a failing harmonic balancer on my '07 C6 LS2 automatic. Suggestions on replacement brand and should I do an underdrive to gain a few RWHp? Thanks in advance for the advice...not just links to other past threads. Technology changes as do brands...

Last edited by AL_Jazz; 07-26-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:39 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

You are right about technology changing however, the story has been the same for our cars for years. Most high end builds will be fitted with Ati unit. Jason from Katech usually pushes stock oem components and even he will push the Ati. I think innovate makes one as well. I have an Ati on mine. Not sure the Hp gains are worth even mentioning but it's nice to put a part on you know you don't have to worry about ever. I have swapped many in the last few years. If you plan on doing it yourself you'll need the following.
-pulley removal tool for GenIII-up/Chrysler (blue point has a nice one)
-pulley install tool, Hawk makes a great one
-flywheel lock tool, got mine from Kent-moore (oe tool)
-new crank bolt from GM
-torque wrench capable of 250lbs+ and can measure degrees (or equivalent)
Old 07-27-2016, 02:30 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default this

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
It was confirmed today the source of my vibration is a failing harmonic balancer on my '07 C6 LS2 automatic. Suggestions on replacement brand and should I do an underdrive to gain a few RWHp? Thanks in advance for the advice...not just links to other past threads. Technology changes as do brands...
stock size ATI and be done with it.a lot of the cheap hb replacements are not machined for the factory DEW washer.if you use one of them it would be a good idea to pin the crank to prevent it from spinning on the crank snout
Old 07-27-2016, 08:20 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I like Powerbond. No opinion on the underdrive. Definitely do not replace with another stock GM unit. Very big job if you're DIYing.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:26 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Comment only on the underdrive choice, if you are using the car as stock and or DD without mods, I would suggest not to use it.
The problem could arise from keeping the alternator charging voltage high enough when idling and running most all of the electrical components on the car because it will spin slower than the design.
You can offset this issue if you do decide to go with the UD HB with using a Billet Tech alternator that will supply the lost charging power.

Last edited by extrapilot; 07-30-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Thanks guys for the input and advice. I purchased a PowerBond HB and since it will be mostly stock I decided against the underdrive. I don't have the time nor do I have a lift anymore...so I am not performing the install. It will be done next week my a reputable shop which does a lot of the more major work on my vehicles. Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:58 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Back to the drawing board...that was not the source of my issue...
Old 07-30-2016, 06:33 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Back to the drawing board...that was not the source of my issue...
You are having engine vibrations, while the car is traveling or standing still?
Background history, mileage, any mods now?
Edit; read your other thread about your issue. There are couplers that are in the torque tube drive shaft that I would suspect have gone bad, hence the smelling of burn rubber.
bad;
Attached Images  

Last edited by extrapilot; 07-30-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:03 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by extrapilot
You are having engine vibrations, while the car is traveling or standing still?
Background history, mileage, any mods now?
Edit; read your other thread about your issue. There are couplers that are in the torque tube drive shaft that I would suspect have gone bad, hence the smelling of burn rubber.
I suspect that is the only other thing it could be. Car is an '07 LS2 with 75k miles. No mods (yet) and the problem is 3300-4k RPM regardless of speed or transmission selection.

Any suggestions on where to purchase the torque tube couplers? I will be having the trans dropped and the tube removed this coming week...
Old 07-30-2016, 06:03 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

I suspect that is the only other thing it could be. Car is an '07 LS2 with 75k miles. No mods (yet) and the problem is 3300-4k RPM regardless of speed or transmission selection.

Any suggestions on where to purchase the torque tube couplers? I will be having the trans dropped and the tube removed this coming week...
Other than OEM parts, I'm not sure, there could be a aftermarket manufactured that could be a better solution.
You may want to start a new thread asking about upgraded driveshaft yoke couplers.
EDIT; after doing a little google search, there are a few aftermarket brands on the market, which one is the best maybe a good question to ask.

Last edited by extrapilot; 07-30-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hey guys...newbie question here...Harmonic Balancer related

Quick Reply: Hey guys...newbie question here...Harmonic Balancer related