C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Suspension bushing question

So my car is tilted from the right side front and rear. Installing wheels and brakes on the car and saw that the bushing pieces are gone. Completely wasted ripped rot dead.

These pieces. This is on the rear left and is still good.

I called three way chevrolet dealer in bakersfield and they had me go to their parts department to explain to them exactly what i was looking for. Im not sure what the bushing pieces are called but we managed to find it. Well they told me i would have to buy practically the whole suspension part for 600 bucks! And that was just the one front side. They couldn't sell me just the bushing. I ran out of there as fast as i can.
I tried searching on Google but i just can't find the name of the pieces.
Does anybody know what they are called and where to get them? I just need the front right and rear right. Please excuse my lack of knowledge im a noob to this.
Thank you

Last edited by Jaime-Corvette; 08-25-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:38 AM
george511
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly Urethane

not familiar with what you are showing in pic
on my 97 I replaced all the bushings with poly urethane
should not use GM
search for suspension poly urethane
Old 08-25-2016, 11:12 AM
DirtyOilMan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at this link
https://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?f...p=1951&ID=3476
Ride height is a bit lower than stock but it worked for me when my adjusting bolts were cut.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by DirtyOilMan
Look at this link
https://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?f...p=1951&ID=3476
Ride height is a bit lower than stock but it worked for me when my adjusting bolts were cut.
Are these really what i need? If i get these i would have to get all 4.

Last edited by Jaime-Corvette; 08-25-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:42 PM
DirtyOilMan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaime-Corvette
Are these really what i need? If i get these i would have to get all 4.
Not really necessary. I replaced only rear two. Front bolts are stock.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:51 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

I called three way chevrolet dealer in bakersfield and they had me go to their parts department to explain to them exactly what i was looking for. Im not sure what the bushing pieces are called but we managed to find it. Well they told me i would have to buy practically the whole suspension part for 600 bucks! And that was just the one front side. They couldn't sell me just the bushing. I ran out of there as fast as i can.
I tried searching on Google but i just can't find the name of the pieces.
Does anybody know what they are called and where to get them? I just need the front right and rear right. Please excuse my lack of knowledge im a noob to this.
Thank you
"Ride height trim adjuster bolts" or "lowering bolts". They do not have a part number and are not available separately. This has been true for three generations of Corvettes and no one knows why.

Mine were like yours. I replaced all four of mine with reproduction bolts from Corvette Central:

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50h&ukey=51135

These are the only OE reproductions I know of. Most aftermarket bolts are shorter, in order to facilitate lowering the car. Many aftermarket bolts are also known to wear out quickly.

The ones Corvette Central sells are clones of the rear bolts, which have a larger diameter, but they sell them for use in front or rear. I installed them a month or two ago. We'll see how they hold up, but so far so good.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:25 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by torquetube
"Ride height trim adjuster bolts" or "lowering bolts". They do not have a part number and are not available separately. This has been true for three generations of Corvettes and no one knows why.

Mine were like yours. I replaced all four of mine with reproduction bolts from Corvette Central:

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50h&ukey=51135

These are the only OE reproductions I know of. Most aftermarket bolts are shorter, in order to facilitate lowering the car. Many aftermarket bolts are also known to wear out quickly.

The ones Corvette Central sells are clones of the rear bolts, which have a larger diameter, but they sell them for use in front or rear. I installed them a month or two ago. We'll see how they hold up, but so far so good.
Wow thanks a lot man! I just ordered 2 pairs. Hopefully they don't take too long to get here as im in a tight situation. But i guess these are the ride adjusters too. Very nice. Ill install all 4 when i get them and im excited to do so. Thanks again and to everyone who helped me.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

My mind never seizes to be blown away with the great help from this forum. I would be lost without you all. Thanks guys.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,030 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Good thread when you are adjusting your ride heights.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

As for your plan of attack, take the time to pull the sway bar bushing to clean the insides of them, and uses some dielectric grease between the inside of the bushing and the out side of the bar when you bolt the bushing back on.

On the ride height adjusters, clean the A arm contact ares that the pad will make contact to, and just a hint of dielectrical gears on the bottom of the ride height adjuster pad.

Now when you are setting ride heights via the car on level ground, and measuring from the tips of the fenders, this will be your first adjustment, and let the suspension settle in for a week of driving. After a week, you move to the checking frame to ground, or 4 corner balancing via scales for your final adjustment of the ride height adjusters.

Hence since the fenders are bolts on to the frame, they may be the same as the frame to the ground for all 4 corners, so the fender lips to level ground are just your rough adjustments to start with.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:25 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Wow thanks a lot man! I just ordered 2 pairs. Hopefully they don't take too long to get here as im in a tight situation. But i guess these are the ride adjusters too. Very nice. Ill install all 4 when i get them and im excited to do so. Thanks again and to everyone who helped me.
You're welcome.

Regarding installation: if you're lifting one corner at a time with a floor jack, and using a separate bottle jack to lift the spring, I found it helpful to disconnect one roll bar end link. That increases the amount of suspension droop so you can get more clearance between the control arm and the spring.

Might as well leave the end links disconnected until you're all done so you can take ride height measurements without concern about preload from the roll bars.

It took about two rounds of adjustments to get mine dialed in. I'd drive around the neighborhood, over speed bumps and so on to settle the suspension, then return to my very level garage slab and take measurements from the floor to the top of each wheel arch.

I set it up for 26.5" front and 28" rear. The subframes were level left-to-right and the front-to-rear rake (measured at the frame rail lift points) was about 1/2". This was with a full tank of gas and new tires. It's repeatable to 1/16th" and hasn't budged. Later I had the car aligned because it had been a while.

A few people report that their adjustment bolts are frozen and won't turn. The usual advice is to soak the threads in penetrating oil. I didn't have that problem.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:21 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

I will take all of your tips into consideration and action thanks guys. And thanks for the thread Dano523.

Cant wait to get my car set up. Im doing this cause i baught new wheels for the car and powder coated them gloss black. They are wider than stock and are flush to the fenders so they look great and ate wrapped with Potenza s04 pole position rubber. 255 front and 305 on the rear. not only that, "upgraded" to full Z06 brakes too.
Ill have to get the heights right for the car in my liking. Plus im installing the zr1 front splitter and rocker side panels with mudflap. Cant wait to finish it. Its a good thing ill know how to adjust ride height by then

Last edited by Jaime-Corvette; 08-25-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Drive the car a bit between adjustments...it needs to settle.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension bushing question

Quick Reply: Suspension bushing question