C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help figuring out if heads are not stock

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:48 AM
xowhitegenxo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help figuring out if heads are not stock

There is a stamp you can visibly see, it actually says MTI 183. Also to the left of the black sheath you can see another stamp on front of the head and it reads something like MTI 448 or MTI 148. It's hard to tell
Just the 8452 cast number.
I got this C6Z a few months back from a dealer. I've been deployed overseas and had my wife pick it up cause it was a good price for a 2008 with decent miles. Turns out if has a nice cam, Pfadt long tubes, Calloway intake, MTI plug wires and the heads have a MTI? Stamp on them. Just trying to figure out if these could possibly be heads from them or are they just stock units? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:02 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

IDK, but it'd be a simple email to MTI to find out if the number is theirs. Good luck. If someone sees your thread today, I'm sure they'll comment.

Last edited by AORoads; 11-24-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:08 AM
xowhitegenxo
Instructor

I sent one but didnt get a response. Although i just found them on here and sent a PM. Thanks
Old 11-24-2016, 09:54 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
IDK, but it'd be a simple email to MTI to find out if the number is theirs. Good luck. If someone sees your thread today, I'm sure they'll comment.
my God how dare you even suggest that he do his own research! at least that's what you tell me.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:14 AM
xowhitegenxo
Instructor

See my above comment. Also, I'm very computer savvy and I've searched. Their site doesn't list anything I'm inquiring about. Go shitpost somewhere else, and happy Thanksgiving.
The following users liked this post:
DubsAndSubs (11-25-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by xowhitegenxo
See my above comment. Also, I'm very computer savvy and I've searched. Their site doesn't list anything I'm inquiring about. Go shitpost somewhere else, and happy Thanksgiving.
wasn't talking too you anyway, but there's no way you could have done ANY research and not come up with anything, your phone broken? you would call them? you thought their website would explain the casting marks?
Old 11-26-2016, 07:35 PM
xowhitegenxo
Instructor

Your poor excuse for passive aggressive humor isn't needed though. Or is it sarcasm? Can't really tell, either way you aren't any help. You got a reply so keep on punching that keyboard, guy 👍
The following users liked this post:
OneMoreVet (12-03-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 08:43 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here is your answer.

http://www.mtiracing.com/engines/cylinder-heads.html
Old 11-26-2016, 10:03 PM
xowhitegenxo
Instructor

Right........ None of those match what mine say. I know you guys are looking for some kind of self assurance and you just want to make someone feel dumb by saying "search" or posting links to stuff I already stated that I looked at, but I just asked for an answer, not for some trolls to come out. I already said I searched. It's funny I have to keep explaining myself. If you don't have a decent answer it's not hard to just not reply. You just clutter the thread up with shitposts. I emailed them and PM them a few days ago so I'll wait. I'll call when the weekend is over. 👍👍👍👍
Old 11-27-2016, 01:50 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There is a stamp you can visibly see, it actually says MTI 183. Also to the left of the black sheath you can see another stamp on front of the head and it reads something like MTI 448 or MTI 148. It's hard to tell
Just the 8452 cast number.
I got this C6Z a few months back from a dealer. I've been deployed overseas and had my wife pick it up cause it was a good price for a 2008 with decent miles. Turns out if has a nice cam, Pfadt long tubes, Calloway intake, MTI plug wires and the heads have a MTI? Stamp on them. Just trying to figure out if these could possibly be heads from them or are they just stock units? Thanks.
Pretty obvious they are not stock, since stock ones aren't stamped MTI. If your question is "Are these aftermarket heads or are they stock LS7 heads that may be modified?", then you'd have more luck to ask that on the Z06 forum, than here. The answer will reveal itself by the 4 digit embossed number, not the stamped MTI number.

I'd guess modded OEM heads, based on what appears to be a dot matrix alphanumeric imbedded on the machined surface just below the 4 digit number, since that would be a normal GM method to ID the part. Try tracing it to read what it says.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:45 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

The mti-X83 is on the block isn't it?

The heads are definitely a gm casting, but have most likely been passed through MTI's porting program. I think it's possible you purchased a car with an MTI build longblock package. It definitely matches their naming conventions.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Medicdiver
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

That does appear to be stamped on the block not the head. There are also wrench marks on the head bolts indicating they have probably been removed and reused. I would agree with sevinn that it's probably a long lock from MTI
Old 11-30-2016, 08:29 AM
xowhitegenxo
Instructor

Originally Posted by sevinn
The mti-X83 is on the block isn't it?

The heads are definitely a gm casting, but have most likely been passed through MTI's porting program. I think it's possible you purchased a car with an MTI build longblock package. It definitely matches their naming conventions.
Yes the block says MTI-x83... The head has a stamp and some number after the MTI on it too but I cant make it out. The car runs very strong. I'm assuming i got more for my money than I planned when I bought it. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:10 PM
2012widebody
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes the block says MTI-x83... The head has a stamp and some number after the MTI on it too but I cant make it out. The car runs very strong. I'm assuming i got more for my money than I planned when I bought it. Thanks for the info.
congratulations!! MTI is a very big supporter of LS engines. I would sure like to see a dyno sheet for your car.
Thanks for your service!!!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:44 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

8452 is an LS7 head. That's a GM head. It may have been modified by MTI but is started life as a GM LS 7 casting
Old 12-05-2016, 05:16 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Take some dark colored grease and wipe it into the dot matrix. It will make it readable. When you are done, just spray it off with brake kleen.

Get notified of new replies

To Help figuring out if heads are not stock

Quick Reply: Help figuring out if heads are not stock