Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Viper feels safer and better than the new Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
JimmyCrackcorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ivan111
Yeah now i remember your impressions of the new Z!!!!!

Is Willow Springs were R&T tested the Z a bumpy track like Grattan?

No, its smooth and has one bump exiting turn 6 thats about it
Old 11-09-2005, 12:03 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazerwolfe
OK, I saw in Car and Driver where they mention snap oversteer.
My guess is the Z06's suspension tuning was done so that it worked its best in concert with AH/TC. A car like the Viper that has no AH/TC will have different settings and should be more neutral and forgiving because it has no electric nannies. Just a guess.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Mostly smooth as a baby's behind, except for some washboard on the inside of turn 8 (high speed right-hand sweeper).
Wolfkill told me he was getting A/H activated in T2, T8 and T9.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:28 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
My guess is the Z06's suspension tuning was done so that it worked its best in concert with AH/TC. A car like the Viper that has no AH/TC will have different settings and should be more neutral and forgiving because it has no electric nannies. Just a guess.
The "electric nannies" actually work very well at PREVENTING that kind of behavior. My guess is that it may have happened one time somewhere on the track due to a slick spot or whatever and then they determined that was typical behavior. I sincerely doubt that any C6 ever had "snap oversteer" unless they were doing something stupid. The C5 and C6 cars are amazingly neutral even at 10/10ths and I truly doubt that any shock tuning alone would screw that up. Sounds more like a 911 trait.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:58 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles in Michigan
First:
Then:

There's a pic of a Viper right there, and I've been under my C5 plenty, and I don't know what you are talking about. What are "the two arms of the A-arms"? The upper and lower a-arm? Or the legs (arms?) of the A in one of the A-arms, that go from the frame to the wheel hub?

It is hard to visualize. You're on the right track with the arms of the a-arms that go to the frame. On the vette, they are parallel with the frame (or ground/horizontal), on the viper, they are canted at about a 30 degree angle. So - the vettes wheel travels straight up and down, whereas the viper wheel travels up-and-back as it travels up. Helps to plant the power better from a dig. Clear as mud?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:15 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
It is hard to visualize. You're on the right track with the arms of the a-arms that go to the frame. On the vette, they are parallel with the frame (or ground/horizontal), on the viper, they are canted at about a 30 degree angle. So - the vettes wheel travels straight up and down, whereas the viper wheel travels up-and-back as it travels up. Helps to plant the power better from a dig. Clear as mud?
First, the Viper rear lower control arms do not appear to be canted at 30 degrees by looking at the picture, more like 10 degrees at the most. Secondly, the C5 rear lower control arms are canted about the same amount, I haven't looked at the C6 but I think it's very similar. Maybe somebody can take an actual measurement of the two.
...Also the Corvette front upper control arms are not parallel to the ground meaning the C5/6 front and rear tires do not travel straight up and down. All part of the anti-dive (front) and anti-squat (rear) suspension geometry philosophy that started with the C4s. To really get a good launch, you would need to go to a 4-link solid axle and play with the instant centers of the upper/lower links to "plant the power". Not trying to muddy the waters...
Old 11-09-2005, 08:08 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by markbrown.com
not really saying any car is better than the other but anyone can interpret especially when it's this close anything they want the outcome to be.
Mark, let me give you some facts to help interpret the data and move past the "denial" phase and on to the road to recovery:

..........................Z06........... Viper SRT-10
Curb Weight........3,147.............3,470
RWHP...................453.............. .447 (MT same day dyno test at Wheel to Wheel Powertrain in Michigan)
Readline.............7,000.............6 ,000
Final Gear Ratio.....3.42..............3.07
0-150 MPH............17.9.............20.2

Less weight, >= power, broader powerband, better gearing = faster car.

It's really not that close. The gap between the cars widens the faster you go...look at the 0-150 times above.

The past few years the Viper has always tested faster than the Vette in MT, RT and CD, until now. So, please put the magazine conspiracy theories to bed.

My name is Cliff. I am here to help.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:42 PM
JimmyCrackcorn
Instructor

Originally Posted by CliffB-99
Mark, let me give you some facts to help interpret the data and move past the "denial" phase and on to the road to recovery:

..........................Z06........... Viper SRT-10
Curb Weight........3,147.............3,470
RWHP...................453.............. .447 (MT same day dyno test at Wheel to Wheel Powertrain in Michigan)
Readline.............7,000.............6 ,000
Final Gear Ratio.....3.42..............3.07
0-150 MPH............17.9.............20.2

Less weight, >= power, broader powerband, better gearing = faster car.

It's really not that close. The gap between the cars widens the faster you go...look at the 0-150 times above.

The past few years the Viper has always tested faster than the Vette in MT, RT and CD, until now. So, please put the magazine conspiracy theories to bed.

My name is Cliff. I am here to help.

The Viper had always tested faster than the Vipers in the last 4 magazine comparisons with the Z06, wheres the 11.7 runs and 97ft 60-0 braking?? http://motortrend.com/features/scene...est/index.html
Old 11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
I sincerely doubt that any C6 ever had "snap oversteer" unless they were doing something stupid. The C5 and C6 cars are amazingly neutral even at 10/10ths and I truly doubt that any shock tuning alone would screw that up. Sounds more like a 911 trait.
….. except that when a 911 exhibits oversteer, the magazines fall all over themselves with praise for this "endearing character trait." Then go on to praise Porsche for building a "real driver's car" that it takes genuine skill to extract all the performance out of. When a Vette seems to exhibit similar behavior, it gets trashed by C/D. Remember, journalists don't necessarily know a thing about the topic they are discussing, they can merely write well (-enough). And, being human, they have biases. Remember the recent C/D comparison of convertible sports cars, where the new C6 scored best in performance, but the Boxster won based on C/D's "Gotta have it" factor? A brand new C6 convertible with a low "Gotta have it" quotient, compared to a several-years-old Boxster? Not out here in Reality World. Relax, most auto journalism is entertainment, not information.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
….. except that when a 911 exhibits oversteer, the magazines fall all over themselves with praise for this "endearing character trait." Then go on to praise Porsche for building a "real driver's car" that it takes genuine skill to extract all the performance out of. When a Vette seems to exhibit similar behavior, it gets trashed by C/D. Remember, journalists don't necessarily know a thing about the topic they are discussing, they can merely write well (-enough). And, being human, they have biases. Remember the recent C/D comparison of convertible sports cars, where the new C6 scored best in performance, but the Boxster won based on C/D's "Gotta have it" factor? A brand new C6 convertible with a low "Gotta have it" quotient, compared to a several-years-old Boxster? Not out here in Reality World. Relax, most auto journalism is entertainment, not information.
And when those (auto expert)journalist leave their jobs with the auto rags they will become experts at comparing recipes at their new positions with Better Homes and Gardens and Good Housekeeping.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM
crand002
Racer

The Z is faster than the SRT in a straight line and around a track with the same drivers. But, why can't you guys take criticism? These particular drivers felt that the SRT was more compliant. I will tell you right now what is wrong with my SRT. Stock for stock there is ABSOLUTELY no comparison, the Z is superior and a better buy. We knew going into the purchase that the new Z was coming out and whoop on the SRT. That did not steer me away because I mod all of my cars extensively and enjoy the Viper experience. Anyways, the Z is a great car and there are some issues as with all first year redesigned cars. Once these issues have been taken care of this car will be a menace. I personally feel the SRT looks better, has better seats, and has better brakes under track conditions but that is as far as I will go. Every other category in every magazine favors the Z. With being said, the SRT has been out for a few years (bugs are mostly worked out) and shares many charcteristics of the production race car. It is not hard to believe that they favored the overall feel of the SRT. I also think the extra weight of the SRT made the ride feel more compliant but at an ovbious price.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:39 PM
crand002
Racer

Originally Posted by JimmyCrackcorn
The Viper had always tested faster than the Vipers in the last 4 magazine comparisons with the Z06, wheres the 11.7 runs and 97ft 60-0 braking?? http://motortrend.com/features/scene...est/index.html

I agree. I think It may have something to do with all the recent comparisons being SRT Coupes. The SRT was designed as a conv. where the vette was designed to a coupe. I think it would be an interesting shootout between the SRT conv. vs. SRT Coupe. I honestly think the vert would win most tests. I am by no means trying to find a way to get the SRT to top the Vette. I simply saying that it would be an interesting test because no coupes in the mags have ever broken into the 11's, but many verts have.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:09 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by crand002
I agree. I think It may have something to do with all the recent comparisons being SRT Coupes. The SRT was designed as a conv. where the vette was designed to a coupe. I think it would be an interesting shootout between the SRT conv. vs. SRT Coupe. I honestly think the vert would win most tests. I am by no means trying to find a way to get the SRT to top the Vette. I simply saying that it would be an interesting test because no coupes in the mags have ever broken into the 11's, but many verts have.

Hey fellows,I have read this whole thread.It sounds the same as the viper forum.I currently own an 04 Srt and love it.It currently the best sports car I have ever owned and driven.I can't compare it to the zo6,but I am sure I will love it the same when it comes in.I do believe there is a lot of hair being split between the two.when it comes down to it on the street or on the track any of us non proffesionals will never see the difference in the max potential of these two GREAT AMERICAN world class sports cars. so who really cares.I say drive what you like.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:59 PM
lost
Drifting

The test quoted in motor trend was a 2004 ZO6, 06 hadn't even been built yet. Personal experience if the SRT-10 is more comfortable than the new ZO6, I don't want one.Although I was only the passenger the one I rode in[SRT-!0 viper] was the most uncomfortable so called street sport car I have ever ridden in.45 minutes and I was begging to be taken back to my C5-z51 which I have taken on several over 1000 mile trips, not a chance in the Viper, my body couldn't stand it.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=LS6v]After reading two reviews in (car and driver, motor trend?) I was surprised to see that. Would you guys say the car is prone to snap over steer when you're pushing it through a turn? Or, was something out of wack on the test cars ( Like Tire pressures, toe, camber... )?

Yes. Yes I would.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Bill Oxley
Racer

As a consumer, not a racer, I'll take Larry's comments any day. He is a car enthusiast, and tells it like he sees it. I've read his articles for years. He compliments what he likes and criticizes what he doesn't like. I believe him to be a straight shooter and quite knowledgeable.

Originally Posted by Andi
This trait might have been there on the old Z06.. but now, the trait *IS* fixed... PERIOD. Larry Webster is dead wrong. I wish C&D would've let Csaba Csere do the C6 Z06 test/review. This was too high-profile a test to let Larry have, and he botched it with these comments.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:06 PM
lost
Drifting

I went and reread his article and could find no reference to "snap oversteer". In fact he said he basically took it easy and never turned off active handling, and he absolutely loved the car.C&D has done two articles on the car and the 1st one was just informational, with no driving and car shown was a yellow test mule. The second article was authored by Larry Webster, although the car also was yellow..http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=9991 Motor Trend did mention some glitches which they attributed to the fact that the car they tested was a 40k test mule, although the first car they had was off the assembly line, it was recalled before they could test with it.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:23 PM
undercooked chicken
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ClayZ06Vette
^ if that's a neon, I want one
ME TOO!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Viper feels safer and better than the new Z06?