Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2007 Torque Management vs. 2006

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default 2007 Torque Management vs. 2006

2006 Torque Management Limits

2007 Torque Management Limits

I'm not sure how this works out on the dyno or street, but there should be no more broken CV joints. These are both bone stock files read by LS2Edit.

Jim
Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 AM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow....they really made some changes there...
Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 AM
mickvk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody interpret the values or differences?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Without knowing what the actual values mean, it would appear obvious that there are lower values programmed before the torque mgmt. system cuts fuel and spark. That's what Jim meant by no more broken axles. It seems that "nanny has gotten stricter."
Old 09-17-2006, 01:40 AM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

It will be interesting to see what effect the more aggressive TM has on E.T.

Since TM has been cited as a limiting factor on the 2006, it would seem that it would be even more limiting on the 2007.

One question is how there can actually be 3 different torque limits - Axle, Driveshaft, and transmission. Also, on a Corvette, the torque limit output of the driveshaft (72609) would be the input torque seen by the transmission (limited to 2791) -- and the numbers just don't make a lot of sense in this case.

My guess is the TM system is a universal system for all GM cars, but is only looking at only one set of these number on the Corvette. The other values are probably "placeholders" and are not used in the actual torque limit computation.

Last edited by dgdoc; 09-17-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:30 PM
SBTuner
Tech Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
2006 Torque Management Limits

I'm not sure how this works out on the dyno or street, but there should be no more broken CV joints. These are both bone stock files read by LS2Edit.

Jim

Hi Jim, what do the "Torque by RPM" tables look like?

Regards,
Old 09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Foosh
Without knowing what the actual values mean, it would appear obvious that there are lower values programmed before the torque mgmt. system cuts fuel and spark. That's what Jim meant by no more broken axles. It seems that "nanny has gotten stricter."
Newton meters.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Jim,

How do the "Torque by RPM" tables in 1st, 2nd and 3rd compare?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:12 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Can someone explain when the TM programming kicks in? Any programmers want to comment? Jim Hall? Breathless? LPE?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Albino
Instructor

Interesting.

I feel somewhat vindicated now about when I commented a month or so ago about my '07 not feeling very "snappy" around town. Fortunately my tuner helped me out.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:04 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I wonder what will happen when we take our cars to the dealers for service. Will they upgrade our firmware and make the car more lame?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:42 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jim. Some of those 06 TM stats are the default maximum and I couldn't increase it, or by much. The numbers are so large, in N/M or Ft/Lb I wonder if I am correct anyway. I found the real limitations are TM limits in the gears 1-6. That's where the limitations are most controlling and where I increased them. I wonder if those changed in 07 also. Probably, since the basic shaft parameters were lowered. It is much more pleasant and drivable without TM limitations. I got the impression you did the same thing in your tuning programs, among many other things, but I may be mistaken.

Last edited by kelp; 09-18-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jim Shearer
Jim,

How do the "Torque by RPM" tables in 1st, 2nd and 3rd compare?
No change. I doubt that any of these parameters result in lost power but rather some additional safeguards when the drivetrain is pounded through the gears.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by vette6799
I wonder what will happen when we take our cars to the dealers for service. Will they upgrade our firmware and make the car more lame?

First of all, let me assure you that the car is still making full power. Second of all, the dealers cannot, and will not ever simply reprogram your car. They cannot do this without a service bulletin which addresses a specific problem you identify to them, which the SB will likely fix.

Additionally, there has been only one recalibration for the 2006 Z06s since January, and every single ECM I have tuned since the beginning of the year is identical to my calibration. Not one change.

The TIS2000 programming tool used by all dealers is identical to what I have and there are no changes to the 2006 that anyone could program or flash to your car, even if they wanted to. There are no other changes to the 2007 calibration that could affect power that I have seen.

My intention here was not to open a can of worms, but rather honestly show some drivetrain torque management changes that affect shifting and launching, not power.

There are many different areas of what is termed torque management. My programming, for instance recalibrates the extreme measures used to pull power made by the engine. Delivery to the rear wheels, must still be transferred safely to avoid drivetrain damage.

Jim
Old 09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Second
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgdoc
One question is how there can actually be 3 different torque limits - Axle, Driveshaft, and transmission. Also, on a Corvette, the torque limit output of the driveshaft (72609) would be the input torque seen by the transmission (limited to 2791) -- and the numbers just don't make a lot of sense in this case.
The transmission sees torque from the engine only. The driveshaft should see torque from the engine multiplied by the transmission gear. The axle should see driveshaft torque multiplied by your axle gear. So it makes sense to me the transmission limit < driveshaft limit < axle limit.

Problem is I don't see that pattern above. It seems they have the driveshaft torque limit being the highest which to me would make the axle TM value moot. Perhaps they do that on purpose b/c the breakage is happening somewhere before the axle torque sensor?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Second

Problem is I don't see that pattern above. It seems they have the driveshaft torque limit being the highest which to me would make the axle TM value moot. Perhaps they do that on purpose b/c the breakage is happening somewhere before the axle torque sensor?

I am not aware that there is a torque sensor. I always understood that the torque values are calculated from the RPM and fuel flow or Mass air flow values. As such they would not be accurate if one changed any internals (cam, crank, pistons, etc) as this would change the torque curve shape.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:55 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

The transmission sees torque from the engine only. The driveshaft should see torque from the engine multiplied by the transmission gear. The axle should see driveshaft torque multiplied by your axle gear. So it makes sense to me the transmission limit < driveshaft limit < axle limit.

The pattern seemed strange to me also. The only question I have is do they indeed have an axle torque sensor? I haven't heard of one on cars (doesn't mean they don't exist), but we do have shaft torque sensors on US Navy ships to provide input to the gas turbine engine computers to limit shaft torque to around 1,300,000 LB FT. (Yes, that is 1.3 million. ) The controllable pitch propellers can provide enough pitch if not calibrated correctly to overload the shaft before we get the full 41,000 HP per shaft to the water.

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Torque Management vs. 2006

Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by glass slipper
The pattern seemed strange to me also. The only question I have is do they indeed have an axle torque sensor? I haven't heard of one on cars (doesn't mean they don't exist), but we do have shaft torque sensors on US Navy ships to provide input to the gas turbine engine computers to limit shaft torque to around 1,300,000 LB FT. (Yes, that is 1.3 million. ) The controllable pitch propellers can provide enough pitch if not calibrated correctly to overload the shaft before we get the full 41,000 HP per shaft to the water.
Nope, no torque sensors. It's all done by ECU values...and it's surprisingly accurate when using a stock tune.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Second
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Verrückt
Nope, no torque sensors. It's all done by ECU values...and it's surprisingly accurate when using a stock tune.
Then theoretically one could mod the car enough that removing the torque mgmt would be unecessary. That is b/c the traction would give way and you'd need to let off the gas before the torque mgmt would kick in. Interesting. Of courese that assumes the car will spin the tires.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Then theoretically one could mod the car enough that removing the torque mgmt would be unecessary. That is b/c the traction would give way and you'd need to let off the gas before the torque mgmt would kick in. Interesting. Of courese that assumes the car will spin the tires.
Unless an owner is attempting timed acceleration runs at the drag strip, s/he can pretty much ignore Torque Management.

On a very well driven 1320' with excellent traction, TM will reduce the ET .25-.30. I write that based on studying my 36 passes. That said, there is a wide spectrum of driver skill behind the wheel of C6Z06s. At the drags last Sunday, four C6Zs were making passes. The ET spread was .80-1.0 seconds between the best passes of the drivers.

Finally, the sensors inputs and algorithms that govern TM are complicated enough that they're not easy to circumvent; I've been working to develop techniques through careful experiments and I'm not through yet.

Ranger

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2007 Torque Management vs. 2006