Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM stage 2 cam vs GM stg3 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
UR2SLO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM stage 2 cam vs GM stg3 cam?

i am interested in doing a cam swap in my car, and was wondering which cam would better suite me. I drive the car a couple times a week and want some more midrange and topend but i dont want to lose too much bottom end power at the same time. I also want good drivability but i hear that the GM stage 3 cam gets a little rough. I havent heard many reviews about the stage 2 cam and dont really know much about cam specs to figure out what it would be like. any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Check out this thread. It sounds nasty. It seems borderline for your use though. There are some really nice choices that net big HP gains w/o sacrificing torque.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nasty-zo6.html
Old 10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This isn't UR2SLOW that used to have a 9@140mph+ EVO and moved to a Porsche is it?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:34 PM
blkz
Pro

That stage 3 is nasty . But what I think the poster needs to think of the trade off of streetablity and enjoyment .
Old 10-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Takumi
6th Gear

Hi new member here.

I have been eyeing for a 06 Z06 for a while now and decided to pick one up in the next few months.

I also been looking at a lot of aftermarket parts for this car.

I want to ask is, how does the GM performance stage 3 cams compare to LG Motorsports camshaft?

Which one is more reliable and what other support mods do I need for those camshaft?

Where can I pick up those GM peformance stage 3 cams? I love the sound of it when it idles.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Stage 3 is a little 'hairy' for the street. A TON of overlap, about 40degrees if I remember, and you will lose a 'bit' on the bottom. It loves to be over 3000rpm. It pulls like a son of a gun from there on up. It sounds fantastic @ idle.

(Note: my car came with this cam in it when I received it)

This is not my daily driver.

If I had to do it over again I would choose another cam. I would go with one that is a little 'milder' or at least on a wider lobe separation w/less overlap. I have also thought of eventually swapping it out for another grind.

Just my 2 cents. Hope I helped ya out!

Scott

Old 10-09-2009, 06:09 PM
UR2SLO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jasil
This isn't UR2SLOW that used to have a 9@140mph+ EVO and moved to a Porsche is it?
no sorry its not

Originally Posted by NASTY ZO6
The Stage 3 is a little 'hairy' for the street. A TON of overlap, about 40degrees if I remember, and you will lose a 'bit' on the bottom. It loves to be over 3000rpm. It pulls like a son of a gun from there on up. It sounds fantastic @ idle.

(Note: my car came with this cam in it when I received it)

This is not my daily driver.

If I had to do it over again I would choose another cam. I would go with one that is a little 'milder' or at least on a wider lobe separation w/less overlap. I have also thought of eventually swapping it out for another grind.

Just my 2 cents. Hope I helped ya out!

Scott

hmm so what do you think about the specs on the stage 2 cam? do you think it would be worth it? how do you think it would sound and perform?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Something you need to think about. When you just do a cam and springs; you'll still have the two piece hollow sodium filled exhaust valves.
Now with stock spring pressures at 90 lbs on the seat and stock cam ramps your fine. But with spring pressures at 130-140 lbs closed and aggressive ramps on the cam it puts a tremendous strain on those two piece valves as they slam shut, and they do fail from time to time. BY-BY motor. I've modded all my LS motors since 1999 and they all had the standard one piece steel valve, no worries. Even my stroker LS3 motor in my C6 had the one piece valve. When I do my cam in my 09 Z06, even though I don't want to I'm going to bite the bullitt and pull the heads do a mild port job on the exhaust side and replace the exhaust valves with one piece stainless steel valves. It cost more but I'ed rather be safe than sorry. The cost of a new motor is a hell of a lot more than the cost of pulling the heads. It's crap shoot and you don't want to come up snake eyes a few thousand miles down the road. Food for thought.

andreas g.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andreas g.
Something you need to think about. When you just do a cam and springs; you'll still have the two piece hollow sodium filled exhaust valves.
Now with stock spring pressures at 90 lbs on the seat and stock cam ramps your fine. But with spring pressures at 130-140 lbs closed and aggressive ramps on the cam it puts a tremendous strain on those two piece valves as they slam shut, and they do fail from time to time. BY-BY motor. I've modded all my LS motors since 1999 and they all had the standard one piece steel valve, no worries. Even my stroker LS3 motor in my C6 had the one piece valve. When I do my cam in my 09 Z06, even though I don't want to I'm going to bite the bullitt and pull the heads do a mild port job on the exhaust side and replace the exhaust valves with one piece stainless steel valves. It cost more but I'ed rather be safe than sorry. The cost of a new motor is a hell of a lot more than the cost of pulling the heads. It's crap shoot and you don't want to come up snake eyes a few thousand miles down the road. Food for thought.

andreas g.
Good advice.

Originally Posted by UR2SLO
no sorry its not

Hmm so what do you think about the specs on the stage 2 cam? do you think it would be worth it? how do you think it would sound and perform?

Check this out, it will help you out with facts/figures: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...no_charts.html

Hope we are helping you out with this major decision! Keep us posted and keep asking questions!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The battle of the advertising vendors and all their "convincing" words COMING SOON.

And for the OP. Look up

Lingenfelter GT-19 or GT-21. Or just google it.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by UR2SLO
i am interested in doing a cam swap in my car, and was wondering which cam would better suite me. I drive the car a couple times a week and want some more midrange and topend but i dont want to lose too much bottom end power at the same time. I also want good drivability but i hear that the GM stage 3 cam gets a little rough. I havent heard many reviews about the stage 2 cam and dont really know much about cam specs to figure out what it would be like. any help would be appreciated, thanks!
The GM Stage three cam will buck your teeth out Why not try Ragin Racings Lethal cam, I have got as much as 560 to the wheels with that little cam, it sounds nice, drives nice and will give out enough power for most mortal men, for the others that want more there are turbochargers and superchargers
Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
The GM Stage three cam will buck your teeth out Why not try Ragin Racings Lethal cam, I have got as much as 560 to the wheels with that little cam, it sounds nice, drives nice and will give out enough power for most mortal men, for the others that want more there are turbochargers and superchargers

Great top end pull.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:40 PM
UR2SLO
Advanced

thanks for all the help guys. By looking at the cam specs on the stage 2, do you all think that people would be able to hear it with the exhaust butterfly valves closed and stock cats? I wouldnt mind keepin stuff a little quiet and stealth, but then open the valves up when i want and let it sound nice with the exhaust mod.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:17 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

if its a gm cam would you be able to keep the factory warranty?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
UR2SLO
Advanced

i was told by the dealer that the stage2 would, but if i do it im going to get everything in writing.

Get notified of new replies

To GM stage 2 cam vs GM stg3 cam?

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM stage 2 cam vs GM stg3 cam?