Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GTM vs. C6Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:51 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Default GTM vs. C6Z

if this was a weekend car which would you choose? Obviously the Z is more practical, but the GTM would be faster on all accounts...especially looking for opinions from those that have owned/driven both.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

GTM? do you mean GTR?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
GTM? do you mean GTR?
Probably GTM (by Factory Five).

I too made this choice and went with the Z06. The GTM would be fun to build, but I had more instant gratification by buying the Z06 and less headaches. Probably a lot less cost by the time it was all done too.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
The New Black
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTM? do you mean GTR?
No he means the kit super car by Factory Five. It's pretty sweet, for weekends only I might say yeah.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting comment Jason, I too went through a similar analysis and came to the same conclusion.

While I think FF has some great products the GTM seems like an awful lot of work/expense to save at most 500 lbs, and there's no way it can be as 'sorted out', refined or practical as the Z06.

OTOH a friend of mine is building an Ultima. While it'll end up being considerably more expensive than a GTM it will also end up being about a 500 lbs less (that's a 1000 less than a Z06). I also believe Ultima has a far more 'sorted out' package than FF. I figure (as does my friend) if you're gunna build something less refined and less practical than a Z06 it had better end up being WAY faster

Cheers, Paul.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I considered this option as well before purchasing the Z06 earlier this week. The FF GTM is a lot of work. There is considerable time in just acquiring the parts needed to start fabrication. It would be many months of long days and weekends just getting to a finished driveable car. I'd figured I would need 2 empty garage stalls at least to handle all the parts. I wouldn't consider having someone build it for me as I really want to go through the process...I'll do a kit car at some point but not now. My real job takes to much time. Now if your retired already or have plenty of time and space for the project and can drive something as fun as the Z06 concurrent with that project go for it. It's not an either or for me just couldn't wait.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

GTM? do you mean GTR?
No...he means this...

I've been thinking a lot about one as well. I know someone who built their own GT40, and he has so much fun with it, and knows every inch of the car. Sure, they aren't as exotic as Everette's Mosler...BUT they are still Corvette at heart (actually, more than just the heart...see the list below...)

Here's the build cost on the car shown above:

GTM (LS6) Build Cost Sheet

Kit Price:
Base kit price________________________$19,900
Seat track__________________________.$69

Donor Corvette:
2001 Corvette Z06 24,000 miles_________$10,500
Replacement radiator__________________$160
Replacement front upper control arm_____$157
Replacement front lower control arm_____$208

Drivetrain:
1991 Porsche 911 transaxle w/ starter___$2,400
Replacement clutch__________________ $380
CV joints___________________________ $80

Exterior:
Paint Job____________________________$7,000
Wheels_____________________________ $900
Tires_______________________________ $875

Interior:
Stereo______________________________$280
Speakers____________________________$135

Total:______________________________ $43,044.00

Not bad for a "Z06" that's a little more exotic...

Here's what you need from the "donor car"...

Major Components/Parts 1997-2004 Corvette C5

Engine, computer and exhaust manifolds
Front and rear suspension components (minus leaf springs and shocks)
Front and rear brakes, hubs, calipers and rotors (outer CV joints on rear)
Fuel tanks with pump(s) and flexible lines uncut
Radiator w/fans and plastic shroud
Wiring harness w/engine, throttle control, & ignition sections
Wheels and tires

Minor Components/Parts 1997-2004 Corvette C5

Tilt steering column w/stalks and Ignition switch
Flexible brake lines- calipers
Radiator fill tank
Wiper motor
Oxygen sensors (4)
Side & rear view mirrors
Exterior door handles and door window mechanisms
Seat belts
Vehicle speed sensor
E-brake handle/cables, Gas pedal
Hood latches w/ cable actuator

I think that qualifies as "more Corvette" than the Mosler...(not knocking the Mosler at all...BEAUTIFUL craftsmanship and a real exotic car...If I won the lotto I'd have one in my garage).

There are salvage yards that will remove all the required parts and ship you the stuff on pallets. Then you don't need to figure out what to do with the shell of the wrecked car after you strip it down.

I'd send the engine directly to Jason...

If you want something that is rare...AND have the time and funds to build one...the GTM is gonna get you more looks and will always be more rare than a Z06 at a car show or cruise-in.

Last edited by 1991Z07; 02-18-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

GTM? do you mean GTR?
Duh, my bad, considering we took the 100 mile drive to Factory Five this past summer to look at the Shelby cars, well they had a GTM in Black w/bronze stripes and wheels that was getting shipped to SEMA. Incredible Machine for the $55k invested.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like this kit car http://www.race-car-replicas.com/rcrp.html Here with beautiful finish http://www.breathlessperformance.com/Superlite/ aka Predator Superlite
GTM looks too "homemade" imho.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:55 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Me2d
GTM looks too "homemade" imho.
SEMA usually doesn't give "Best of Show" awards to kit cars...but they did it in 2007...this one has the roof-mounted air snorkel on it.

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/...heney/gtm.html

To each their own...but I like it

Last edited by 1991Z07; 02-18-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are right, that one is beautiful.
I ment more "common" like this http://www.autabuy.com/Photos/169767...8_Original.jpg
Everyone can make some miracle if spends lot of money and a lot of time
Old 02-18-2010, 02:45 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
if this was a weekend car which would you choose? Obviously the Z is more practical, but the GTM would be faster on all accounts...especially looking for opinions from those that have owned/driven both.
Hey Chris leave your car alone.... LOL

Joe
Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

I ment more "common" like this http://www.autabuy.com/Photos/169767...8_Original.jpg
With the GTM...color is EVERYTHING. It looks sharp in black, bright red, etc. but I've seen some colors that just don't do it for me.

There's a yellow one out there and it is just

Same car in bronze and it is a different animal.

I also think the wing really makes the stance of the car.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Definitely meant GTM not GTR...it's all a pipe dream right now, but has anyone actually driven one and can comment on how balanced they are at the limit?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:13 AM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Definitely meant GTM not GTR...it's all a pipe dream right now, but has anyone actually driven one and can comment on how balanced they are at the limit?
I've ridden in one that was for sale in Dallas. I wasn't there to buy but when i contacted the guy to come take pictures he offered a ride.

Hands down if I had the time and space I would take it over a C6Z or C6ZR1 for a weekend toy.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Well human nature is... We cherish something that is hard to getor dong have. If building the GTM takes time and rnergy, then you will cherish it that much more... It's almost like comparing a prostitute who you can pay now n have your way and leave when you are done vs. Working your magic with a girl next door and enjoying the fruit of it down the road... By no means Im saying the Z is bad, I have one and love it but given the opportunity and time I would go with the GTM since it takes much more than just handing a check or siging a loan to get one!!
Old 02-19-2010, 07:18 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
It's almost like comparing a prostitute who you can pay now n have your way and leave when you are done vs. Working your magic with a girl next door and enjoying the fruit of it down the road...
Well if the Z is a hooker, she's the $5K/night variety, not the $50 (or will-work-on-my-knees-for-crack) kind...

I considered a GTM for quite some time. I've been a forum member over at ffcobra for several years. In the end, to do a GTM right, IMO, would require a lot more than $50 or $60K. Probably closer to $80 or $90K... There's some question as to how aerodynamically safe they are at high speeds (like over 140). I also have some issues with the styling and finish, that while fixable, would require a MAJOR rework that I don't think would be worth it in the end. At this point, I'd much rather build a GT40...

Get notified of new replies

To GTM vs. C6Z

Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Common??????.....

Hmmmm.....I wouldn't mind putting a spot in my garage for that beast.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Go to http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42 and join their forum, then ask there.

Looking at the map of owners...there are 3 in your area...2 in the DFW area and one in Abilene. See if you can contact one of them and see it, ride in it and experience it for yourself. I've followed their forum for a while. They seem like the same kind of guys that are here...(some primadonna's but the rest are just average gear-heads wanting to help each other out).

If you decide to take the plunge, it will be nice to have others in your area that have already done one to use for help...getting to know them now will pay huge rewards in the future.

Like I said earlier...even IF you spent as much on one as a Z06, you'd STILL have something more exotic than a Corvette. And I don't think the Corvette guys would give you much grief when they look inside the back hatch and see that LS7 inside.

Anyone see their performance numbers? Here they are... http://www.factoryfive.com/gtm/perfo...perfchart.html

Last edited by 1991Z07; 02-19-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have spoken to a local guy who built one, and apparently he had to modify a lot of stuff and even fabricate some of his own because parts of the kit didn't fit. The overall fit and finish just seems poor. They are very cool, but I could never justify the cost involved with doing one given the final product.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GTM vs. C6Z