Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Coolant Temps with this HOT weather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM
outbackfarmer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
If you're supercharged then you have a big intercooler blocking the radiator. It's going to run hotter than an NA car without such obstruction.
You are exactly right...Just seems like the 220+ range is to much. What temps does the timing begin to retard and loose power?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

230ish
Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 PM
MallettTodd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C2C6Z06
I must have a problem then....

I reach 220 - 230 in 20mph traffic at 103 degrees....It takes quite awhile to go back down to 214 or so at 65mph..... I'm suspecting an air bubble or a bad Tstat? In cooler weather, below 200 is regular...

PS I am running a vararam, 160 Tstat and CoW tune
I have those same Mods, well except being Mallett tuned, and we are running the same temps. Are ur headers uncoated? Maybe its the Vararam after all
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 AM
C2C6Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by MallettTodd
I have those same Mods, well except being Mallett tuned, and we are running the same temps. Are ur headers uncoated? Maybe its the Vararam after all
No headers, stock exhaust...And from what I have heard about Jason, he knows his stuff!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM
VETTEZ06CR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After Reading all the post, thinking that there is nothing wrong with my car, i have 700whp sts twin turbo set up, well crusing i see 186-188 in trafic with a/c on 205 deg. but if i use it in high boost oil and wáter get up to 238 deg. tops so i lift and goes down while cruse again into 208-215 in a 82 deg day. i always use a/c , could be the reason !!

what do you think about my case !!

jeffrey
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 160* stat plus a manual switch for the fan.

Highway = 180*
Around town = depends on when I switch the fan on but I CAN keep it under 190* in stop and go if I want

Track days = 220* to 230*
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Just drop in a bottle of water wetter or royal purple and you will be very happy with the drop in coolant temps.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

This thread is 3 years old...not sure why it got resurrected ...should start a new one.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,537 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
Mine got up to 238 a couple weekends ago with ambient "feels like" temps well over 100. The temp gauge read 104-106 the whole time. Naturally, I was driving "spirited" with a few others. A/C running, uncoated headers (ARH), Vararam, 160 deg T-stat, decked heads - car held up exceptionally well, I thought.

But I am ditching the Vararam for a Callaway so it's not blocking the radiator (step 1). Step 2 is a DeWitts radiator. If it's still slightly elevated in the summer heat, a vented hood is next. When I upgrade the sump tank, I'll also upgrade the oil cooler. That should pretty much solve any extreme ambient heat issues.
I'd suggest when you go to the DeWitts radiator, that you get the one with the oil cooler in it and use the Z51 oil lines. That way you will get the oil to warm up more quickly (a good thing) and the water/oil cooler is more efficient so the max oil temperature will be lower. That way you won't be running around in the winter with only 150-160* oil temps.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Kurvet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MallettTodd
I got the Vararam also, never thought about it till now blocking cool air. Makes sense tho. I see alot of u guys are upgrading the oil sump, whats that about. I have a 07.
I know this problem is probably solved for you now, but I live in a very trafficy town and with even a 160T my Vette with Dewitts radiator would get up to 210, when I had the Vararam. This year I got a LG air intake and its alot cooler in traffic and on track. Vararam is not good for hot climates.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:58 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default We can make a calibration change.....

Originally Posted by outbackfarmer
That is strange. I am seeing the same type of temps I am not running a vararam but I am supercharged. I have a 180 tstat and a CoW tune.

Wonder if Chucks tunes just run hotter. I bet he will chime in.

Hey there. Just saw this.....

In the last MANY years of C6 calibration and all of the different combinations and climates I've had to deal with

I've modified my fan controls over the years and come up with some fan calibrations that seem to work very well

all over the world.

YES, more recently, when I look at your shipping address and the "usage" of the vehicle I sometimes

make changes to the fan profile and we can't really use a "one size fits all" setting for all C6s or all ZO6s.

Many factors go into my decisions at the time of calibration, but nothing says we can't change them....

Those with AutoCals can call up and request a review/change while others can simply send in the ecm for a

(CoW BOOSTER!) and fan change.... free of charge.

Another thing to consider is that the fan wiring and plugs in the C6 system are safe for "normal stock usage"

but when you ask the fans to work much harder in a warmer climate....You're asking for trouble.

Even up here in NY, we've had to "patch" the fan system as the pcm explicitly limits excessive fan speeds and even

though it's still possible to melt your fan controller or burn up the wiring.

You should inspect the connector at the controller and at the harness junction for heat or melting.

If you permet/or command the fan to run harder you stand the chance of melting either connector which will surely effect cooling

or better yet.....get you stuck.....

If you live down south, CH?ECK THAT WIRING or you could be next!

Corvettes of Westchester ONLY uses 160 stats that are proven while other vendors sell 180 stats thay don;t do the job.

Use a 16o/ aclibrate the fans cirrectly. anmd check your wires....and yer good!

Call me if you need help.

Chuck coW

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Coolant Temps with this HOT weather?