Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help! My Z wont go into gear!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:22 PM
sbennett5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My Z wont go into gear!

I have an 06Z with 60xxx miles. Ive owner the car since new, and have had nothing but good things to say about it. It has not been abused or beat on, and ive never had any problems with it until today. I change the clutch fluid regularly using the Ranger method.

I drove home through some torrential rain today and parked in my driveway. I was unhappy with my parking job so I backed up a few feet and pulled forward once more, with no issues.

A few hours later, I got back in the car to run a few errands. It started right up but would not go into gear. I turned the car off, checked my clutch fluid, pumped the clutch for a few minutes, and started it back up but it still wouldnt go into gear. With the car turned off, the transmission will engage. I put it in reverse, depressed the clutch, and turned the engine on. The car immediately jolted into reverse, WITH THE CLUTCH ENGAGED.

Needless to say, the clutch is malfunctioning, but why? There were no issues prior to parking it earlier today. There was no particular event that occured to cause the problem. Any ideas as to what the issue is?

Last edited by sbennett5; 08-09-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Just a thought if clutch disk got wet maybe it stuck to the flywheel and pressure plate. If car was hot and allowed to cool down. Clutch master cylinder failure or slave cylinder.
z51vett
Old 08-10-2011, 12:05 AM
sbennett5
Instructor

Thanks for the response, the hot to cold theory sounds logical.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by sbennett5
Thanks for the response, the hot to cold theory sounds logical.
With the car off and the transmission in first stick your foot out the door and see if the car will roll backwards. Then depress the clutch and see if it will roll that tells if the clutch is releasing. Sounds like it is not releasing. If it is clear ahead then put it in first and crank it up This may unstick the clutch. You can shut it off or stall it with the e-brake. My guess is that the slave is gone but often the fluid will leak out with that. Might be time to give it a ride on a flatbed to the service man.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

with below. Same thing happened to me when my hydrallics failed on my '10 Z with approx 3k miles at the time.

The below info is the SAME thing Ranger had me do when this occured on my Z and he was gracious enough to speak with me on the phone taht Saturday morning.

Mine had been sitting in my shop for a few weeks at the time this past winter and I had got in it to move the Z so I could sweep floor. The pedal dropped to floor. He had me do the instructions above and long story short it was both the master cylinder and the actuator was leaking (GM tech term for slave)....

If this is the problem your looking at approx $1200 out the door parts/labor at the dealer. At least thats what mine came to this past Feb 2011....

Tim

Originally Posted by dollarbill
With the car off and the transmission in first stick your foot out the door and see if the car will roll backwards. Then depress the clutch and see if it will roll that tells if the clutch is releasing. Sounds like it is not releasing. If it is clear ahead then put it in first and crank it up This may unstick the clutch. You can shut it off or stall it with the e-brake. My guess is that the slave is gone but often the fluid will leak out with that. Might be time to give it a ride on a flatbed to the service man.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

That was replacing both mc and slave (actuator)
Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Larry T
Racer

...it may be as simple as a 'rebleed' of the system...sounds like air was induced into the system during bleed; this could preclude clutch from being disengaged...wouldn't hurt to try before looking at parts...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
with below. Same thing happened to me when my hydrallics failed on my '10 Z with approx 3k miles at the time.

The below info is the SAME thing Ranger had me do when this occured on my Z and he was gracious enough to speak with me on the phone taht Saturday morning.

Mine had been sitting in my shop for a few weeks at the time this past winter and I had got in it to move the Z so I could sweep floor. The pedal dropped to floor. He had me do the instructions above and long story short it was both the master cylinder and the actuator was leaking (GM tech term for slave)....

If this is the problem your looking at approx $1200 out the door parts/labor at the dealer. At least thats what mine came to this past Feb 2011....

Tim
I hope that was covered under warranty
Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
sbennett5
Instructor

I've checked for fluid leaks but havent found any. A master cylinder failure makes sense, but my pedal did not drop to the floor. I find it strange that this problem occured while it was sitting rather than driving and shifting aggressively.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've checked for fluid leaks but havent found any. A master cylinder failure makes sense, but my pedal did not drop to the floor. I find it strange that this problem occured while it was sitting rather than driving and shifting aggressively.
Yeah that is strange. My problem was the opposite. The clutch would perform fine until I would line up on the dragstrip and then boom, bang off the rev limiter and no shifting ability. Get off the track and drive with no problem. Line up again, launch off the line and bang off the limiter and no shift ability until I get off the track and drive home with no issues.....weird. Needless to say my car is in for a new clutch, flywheel and slave as we speak.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd try bleeding the clutch as that's a lot easier and cheaper than a new slave and master cylinder.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:09 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
I'd try bleeding the clutch as that's a lot easier and cheaper than a new slave and master cylinder.
have you seen where the bleed nut is?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I would check the master first as it is the easiest to get to, actually started to see a number of them fail here at the shop.

If the slave fails, from what I have seen here it typically drains out of the bellhousing.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRx
have you seen where the bleed nut is?
Lol good point. Maybe the OP has very tiny hands and arms with long fingers.

Anthony has a point with the MC.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Mine had been sitting when MC crapped out.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
I would check the master first as it is the easiest to get to, actually started to see a number of them fail here at the shop.

If the slave fails, from what I have seen here it typically drains out of the bellhousing.
Hey Anthony,

Yep, when my slave was leaking that is precisely where it was found and was not visible until it was opened up.

Mine was sitting in my shop (thankfully) when this happened and was able to raise it enough to check for leaks, which none were found.

After talking on phone with Ranger I told dealership it was slave (actuator) so they did that first and found fluid had been leaking. It was still mushy so the replaced mc then.

After those two items repld it was like new again. I think the vendor who makes OEM parts for our Z's has crappy QC. JMO....because my Z was only 7-8 months old with 3xxx miles when clutch hydrallics failed.
Tim
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tim414
Hey Anthony,

Yep, when my slave was leaking that is precisely where it was found and was not visible until it was opened up.

Mine was sitting in my shop (thankfully) when this happened and was able to raise it enough to check for leaks, which none were found.

After talking on phone with Ranger I told dealership it was slave (actuator) so they did that first and found fluid had been leaking. It was still mushy so the replaced mc then.

After those two items repld it was like new again. I think the vendor who makes OEM parts for our Z's has crappy QC. JMO....because my Z was only 7-8 months old with 3xxx miles when clutch hydrallics failed.
Tim

At least the slaves I have seen here that die generally leave a very small puddle on the ground under the bellhousing so for me that has been an easy one to spot. The master cylinders generally seem to just have an internal leak with no external signs of fluid leaking, they just do not make any pressure to release the clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! My Z wont go into gear!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
sbennett5
Instructor

Update Alert: It started out strange and only got stranger.

I had the car towed to the dealership yesterday. Prior to leaving my house, I repeatedly started the car in gear and stalled it out, in order to confirm my previous diagnosis. The service tech started it in gear with the clutch depressed, and the car immediately jolted forward, as it had been doing. This confirmed that the clutch was not disengaging. Supposedly the service department was swamped, and they were unable to start working on the car until this morning. When they started the car today, the issue vanished..... That's right, the clutch functioned normally, they never even put it on the lift.

So, what was the issue? Should this be something that should continute to concern me each time I need to use the car? Or was the issue simply a result of driving in the rain and through some puddles?
Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Update Alert: It started out strange and only got stranger.

I had the car towed to the dealership yesterday. Prior to leaving my house, I repeatedly started the car in gear and stalled it out, in order to confirm my previous diagnosis. The service tech started it in gear with the clutch depressed, and the car immediately jolted forward, as it had been doing. This confirmed that the clutch was not disengaging. Supposedly the service department was swamped, and they were unable to start working on the car until this morning. When they started the car today, the issue vanished..... That's right, the clutch functioned normally, they never even put it on the lift.

So, what was the issue? Should this be something that should continute to concern me each time I need to use the car? Or was the issue simply a result of driving in the rain and through some puddles?
I don't think that is from driving through water...my car has seen heavy rain, standing water, snow, ice...you name it.

Could have been the clutch was hot and the clutch stuck, but that generally only comes from a car sitting for years, or the clutch getting to hot and sitting engaged.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
I don't think that is from driving through water...my car has seen heavy rain, standing water, snow, ice...you name it.

Could have been the clutch was hot and the clutch stuck, but that generally only comes from a car sitting for years, or the clutch getting to hot and sitting engaged.
Are aftermarket clutches better suited to handle heat and slippage?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help! My Z wont go into gear!