Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best Coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Best Coil overs

Whats the best comfortable coil overs money can buy for a 07z..... and those of you who have them is the ride great...thanks..
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I guess if money is NO object...get the Penske 8300s.

I have them and most likely spent a total of 10K on them. After shock dynoing and setting them up twice now.

The difference between these and lets say LG GT2 is not very much as far as lap times go...the Penkses offer more adjustment but otherwise they both feel solid in the corner.

It's all about your set up really but if you don't want to mess around, get the Penske 8300's and have them built. TRUST ME

My ride is unreal and smooth...it's ALL ABOUT SUSPENSION.

I work with Porsche cup cars and most of them run Motons or Penskes...it's crazy when I can tell which car has Penskes just based on its movements in the corner.

GET THE PENSKES

PM me if you want me to point you in the right direction. I have the right Penske team...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pfadt double adjustable coil-overs, had them installed this summer before Katech Track Attack. Major differance in cornering and just all around drivibility. Plus its perfect for being able to adjust your ride height. Great people to work with. Cost was around 2200.00.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If comfort and ride height control is your main concern, you should really take a look at our FeatherLight Single Adjustable coilovers. We do have a double adjustable coilover package that works amazingly well on track, but if comfort is your ultimate goal the more street oriented spring rates of the FeatherLights is going to work better for you. The FeatherLight Singles will still be a significant improvement in suspension manners and control, but they're a more street oriented than our FeatherLight Doubles are.

You can certainly find ways to spend more money than our FeatherLight Singles, but given your goals I think they will be a fantastic fit for you. You're also not going to find another coilover on the market with as much Corvette specific engineering implemented. From our unique upper mounting and inverted shock design, to Corvette specific spring rates and valving, to the CIRC (concentric integrated remote canister) these are top to bottom designed to be the best coilovers we've ever manufactured, and the best available for your Corvette.

We do have them in stock and ready to ship. Let me know if you have any questions! We can be reached at 1-888-972-2644, or you can reach me personally at jarrett@pfadtracing.com if you have any questions.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are KW coilovers not popular with the Vette crowd?

I have a set of older Pfadt coilovers that are nice. I believe they are the pre-featherlight model. No complaints but wondering what can ride that gray area of street and track use the best for the money too.

Last edited by briancb1; 11-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by briancb1

I have a set of older Pfadt coilovers that are nice. I believe they are the pre-featherlight model. No complaints but wondering what can ride that gray area of street and track use the best for the money too.
If you liked the previous generation, the FeatherLights will blow you away. They are a 100% completely different design from top to bottom.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
If comfort and ride height control is your main concern, you should really take a look at our FeatherLight Single Adjustable coilovers. We do have a double adjustable coilover package that works amazingly well on track, but if comfort is your ultimate goal the more street oriented spring rates of the FeatherLights is going to work better for you. The FeatherLight Singles will still be a significant improvement in suspension manners and control, but they're a more street oriented than our FeatherLight Doubles are.

You can certainly find ways to spend more money than our FeatherLight Singles, but given your goals I think they will be a fantastic fit for you. You're also not going to find another coilover on the market with as much Corvette specific engineering implemented. From our unique upper mounting and inverted shock design, to Corvette specific spring rates and valving, to the CIRC (concentric integrated remote canister) these are top to bottom designed to be the best coilovers we've ever manufactured, and the best available for your Corvette.

We do have them in stock and ready to ship. Let me know if you have any questions! We can be reached at 1-888-972-2644, or you can reach me personally at jarrett@pfadtracing.com if you have any questions.

So what am I looking at here as weight and noise issues, I have read some the past threads there have been noise issues. These are a direct fit no fabricating correct.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Nice talking to you Jarrett. Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 12:50 AM
givemeurc6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't have them, but heard good things about Moton Coilovers.

Non Supporting Vendor link removed

Last edited by johnodrake; 11-20-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM
CGGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by briancb1

I second that. I have had KW V2's and V3's on the BMW 335i, M3, and my Infiniti G37S.

KW is awesome, they have excellent road manners, smooth yet at the same time sporty, and they are so well sorted out even in triple digit speeds.

My M3 with KW V3's at 150 felt like 60.

Although VERY uncommon in the Vette world, KW does make a direct shock (non-coil-over) for the Z06, they also make the full KW V3 if you want to go that far.

I did not know about the KW direct shock replacement for the Z06 before hand, otherwise I would have gone that route in the first place.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

I run the LG Motorsports non-adjustible coil overs. They are great and would highly recommend them.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I have the Pfadt Featherlights....Ride is great. People who ride in my car are always amazed that it rides so nice (due to the slammage), yet handles like a race car. Took a lot of adjustments to get it right, but once you're there...its the best mod I have done. I wouldn't a vette without them.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If money is not an issue, check out the Ohlins coilover. Mikymu just installed a set so he can give you some feedback on them.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 1st gen Pfadt's on my car. ( It was really low to the ground also) They worked great, really smooth over bumps and cornered great too. In the process of upgrading to their new Featherlights now. Easy to install and adjust.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
I have the Pfadt Featherlights....Ride is great. People who ride in my car are always amazed that it rides so nice (due to the slammage), yet handles like a race car. Took a lot of adjustments to get it right, but once you're there...its the best mod I have done. I wouldn't a vette without them.
Mind sharing your settings? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
J504 (12-03-2017)
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Mind sharing your settings? Thanks!
Everyday street setting:

-18 Clicks in the Front
-12 Clicks in the Rear

Light rate sways full soft on the front/full stiff on the rear.

Alignment is set to the max end of the settings for performance street-track use w/street tires. (2nd down on Pfadt's alignment list)

If it's going to be a serious ride, I'll turn the settings up 2-4 clicks harder.

If the ball and chain is riding with me...I just reach under and turn it softer 2 clicks so she can put her make up on comfortably.

And heres the ride height.

_DSC0043 by :LEEF:, on Flickr

Last edited by LFZ; 11-14-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
If money is not an issue, check out the Ohlins coilover. Mikymu just installed a set so he can give you some feedback on them.
Quality coilovers are expensive so the first thing to decide on is what your budget is for this change. Then imho you can break the coilovers down into 3 general categories:

1) Low cost, entry level/general purpose coilovers. These will work fine on the street and for track days/HPDE use and usually seem to fall under the $2.5k range. These would be non-adjustable, single adjustable (where one adjustments changes rebound and compression) or low cost double adjustable dampers generally without remote canisters. Common suppliers in the corvette world would be Pfadt & LG etc.

2) Mid range, street/track oriented coilovers. These are all double adjustable offering independent adjustment for compression and rebound with remote canisters. Dampers are usually supplied without springs (so factor in a minimum of around $80 extra per damper for whatever lbs rated spring that you choose to run for Eibach or Hypercoil springs (or more if you use helper springs also)). These will cover the needs of 90% of the users including serious track rats and common suppliers in the corvette world would be Moton with their club sports, Ohlins, Penske, Motion Control and usually run in the $5-$7k range.

3) High end, track oriented coilovers. There are double adjustable offerings but most are 3 way or 4 way adjustable (so high speed and low speed rebound & compression adjustments). Again dampers are supplied without springs so factor in extra money for those. These are for the hard core racers, you should probably be running telemetry to set these up properly for each track that you run on and you should probably have some advance suspension knowledge or access to a chassis engineer (as part of your race team). For the average Joe Blow they are too complicated and you are more likely to dial your self out than in. Common suppliers in the corvette world for these would be Moton with their motorsport line, Ohlins, Penske, Motion Control and a few other suppliers. These are basically the same shocks you will see on the pro race cars and run in the $9K to around $15/$16k.

For predominately street to limited track use the ones in the first group are just fine. If you are a more dedicated tracker and serious about performance then look into the second group. If you are a hardcore racer with a lot of knowledge then you are running the 3rd group and already know the answer to all of these questions Personally I have Moton Clubsports on my car and they are great. Remember just like anything else there is no best for all situations, there is only the best for what you intend to use them for. Figure that out first, then choose appropriately

Last edited by Werks; 11-14-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Coil overs

Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

in my personal z06 i just sold , i had the Pfadt feather lights with upgraded springs (stiffer more track oriented), and honestly i will say it rides better then a stock suspensions z06, it smooth over bumps and road transitions, yet it is much stiffer on the road course
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Werks
For predominately street to limited track use the ones in the first group are just fine. If you are a more dedicated tracker and serious about performance then look into the second group. If you are a hardcore racer with a lot of knowledge then you are running the 3rd group and already know the answer to all of these questions Personally I have Moton Clubsports on my car and they are great. Remember just like anything else there is no best for all situations, there is only the best for what you intend to use them for. Figure that out first, then choose appropriately

To make full work of the group 2 or 3 shocks that you have listed you are going to need data and a good suspension guy with you at the track to do so.

Our ALMS GT2 Corvette had 4 way Penske's on it and we were constantly on them but also you have to remember for these cars a shock change is a minor change in the grand scope of what all is going on with the car. Typically this is done with the driver(s) and the team's engineer. This is done after all alignment, spring, and bar changes for that particular track.

We do offer a high end double adjustable Bilstein shock for our G2 coil overs as well, and yes they start around $14k for the set. Same set used on our GrandAm GT Corvette
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
in my personal z06 i just sold , i had the Pfadt feather lights with upgraded springs (stiffer more track oriented), and honestly i will say it rides better then a stock suspensions z06, it smooth over bumps and road transitions, yet it is much stiffer on the road course
Ryne - how much stiffer? Is that a standard request you can make when ordering?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best Coil overs