Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tires and nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:44 PM
9t6t7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Tires and nitrogen

Have G2 Goodyears on my Z and had the tires filled with nitrogen.
Tire pressure 32# when starting out and parked in the shade/lawn at a car show for about 6 hrs no problems. After 15 minutes of driving home the fronts psi were 40/42 rears were 38/38. Problem?????
Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

I would try another gauge to be sure there is that much change. Even with air and not straight nitrogen, that is a pretty large change unless you are driving from Alaska to Vegas.

Last edited by 383vett; 06-10-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 PM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 9t6t7
Have G2 Goodyears on my Z and had the tires filled with nitrogen.
Tire pressure 32# when starting out and parked in the shade/lawn at a car show for about 6 hrs no problems. After 15 minutes of driving home the fronts psi were 40/42 rears were 38/38. Problem?????
I find it interesting --why do people put N in their tires?
- I thought for race cars the use of N was to better stabilize and predict changes in pressure as temp. change? which makes sense to me. But for the street or 99% of the people on this forum it makes no difference other than another way to waste money.
The earths atmosphere is almost 80% N as it is!
- Run Air in your tires and get a better gauge!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

If u r on a long road trip the tire pressure is likely to increase, which can cause instability.

This one time i was on an hour trip, doing about 140, pressure went from 36 to 52... i changed my air to nitrogen the next day. It is also better if once in a while u track.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 195 Posts

I never had a jump like that on my car with nitrogen
Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Chance42
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwmgr8
I find it interesting --why do people put N in their tires?
- I thought for race cars the use of N was to better stabilize and predict changes in pressure as temp. change? which makes sense to me. But for the street or 99% of the people on this forum it makes no difference other than another way to waste money.
The earths atmosphere is almost 80% N as it is!
- Run Air in your tires and get a better gauge!
The push for street cars, iirc, is with air and varying temperatures you could get condensation inside of the wheel, and the air will "leak out" quicker than nitrogen will. So it was a low maintenance marketing pitch. I run air, because nitrogen isn't easy to find in Louisiana, while staying local it wouldn't be a problem, but when going to the track and changing pressures, etc... Plus I have my own air compressors, I don't have my own nitrogen setup.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance42
The push for street cars, iirc, is with air and varying temperatures you could get condensation inside of the wheel, and the air will "leak out" quicker than nitrogen will. So it was a low maintenance marketing pitch. I run air, because nitrogen isn't easy to find in Louisiana, while staying local it wouldn't be a problem, but when going to the track and changing pressures, etc... Plus I have my own air compressors, I don't have my own nitrogen setup.
You can find nitrogen and the gauge at most welding supply stores. Not sure if it would ever pay for itself. I would add that some people think that avoiding moisture inside the tire slows dry rot.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 AM
KING_PIN6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No its not a problem..

Actually the tire pressure sensor doesnt read nitorgen very well thats why you see it randomly..

Try to fill it with air you will it reads better .
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Z06LINK
Instructor

Originally Posted by KING_PIN6
No its not a problem..

Actually the tire pressure sensor doesnt read nitorgen very well thats why you see it randomly..

Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 AM
KING_PIN6
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06LINK
Look.. tire pressure sensor in corvette when u fill it with nitrogen it will read it but you will see number fluctuating ...my car filled with nitrogen and my sensor never read it correctly
Old 06-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Johnjan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air we breath is 78% nitrogen already...
Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Nitrogen is the biggest waste of money EVER. I learned it the hard way. I did it because of the high temp swings in Chicago (40 degrees in AM and could be 80 by mid day). And guess what, same pressure swings as with regular air.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperX
Nitrogen is the biggest waste of money EVER. I learned it the hard way. I did it because of the high temp swings in Chicago (40 degrees in AM and could be 80 by mid day). And guess what, same pressure swings as with regular air.
Second that only I never paid for the Nitrogen. Had free access from a shop I worked with. laugh when its offered at the tire shops.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Paul Huizenga
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrogen tire fills are a tax on people who don't understand physics. As long as you're not filling your tires with a mist of rusty water from an ancient compressor that's never been drained, there's no difference.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by king_pin6
no its not a problem..

Really? apparently something is amiss with your readout...

Originally Posted by king_pin6
look.. Tire pressure sensor in corvette when u fill it with nitrogen it will read it but you will see number fluctuating ...my car filled with nitrogen and my sensor never read it correctly
Again Really?

I agree with many here....if Nitrogen is free, close and convenient...use it....If you have to pay and don't track it then pass....for me it is close and free and it doesn't do any harm..........
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM
KING_PIN6
Racer

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
Really? apparently something is amiss with your readout...

Again Really?

I agree with many here....if Nitrogen is free, close and convenient...use it....If you have to pay and don't track it then pass....for me it is close and free and it doesn't do any harm..........

check by your self then tell me ,,im waiting for your reply
Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Pure N2 will experience a ~1 PSIG change for every 10 degrees fahrenheit of temperature change (at temperatures normally encountered).

Just like dry air.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires and nitrogen

Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KING_PIN6
check by your self then tell me ,,im waiting for your reply
Had nitro almost from day one....mine is an 08.....no problems so far....30,000 miles....peace
Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,965 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Nitrogen is a gas and expands with temperature just like any other gas does. It also makes up about 80% of the air in the atmosphere. When it comes to using it to fill your tires its big advantage is being predicable as to the increase in pressure with temperature due to being dry. The disadvantage of using air is the percentage of moisture contained in the air when your tire was filled. Depending on the weather that percentage can vary all day long. One time I had my C5Z on the track and was checking tire pressures every so often. Everything was consistent except the left front tire. Its pressure was 45 psi the first time checked. We lowered it by 8 psi and I made a few more hot laps and when checked the pressure had gone back up to 45. Dropped another 8 and did more laps. This time the pressure reached 40 psi (we were trying to get 37 hot). Finally broke for lunch and let the tire cool and then pulled the valve stem letting out all of the air and then refilled the tire. That solved the problem. The tire had been filled on a very high humidity day and had too much moisture and when it was refilled the humidity had dropped considerably.

Dry air or nitrogen can reduce tire pressure sensor failures since a number of the failures seen are due to corrosion of the sensor due to moisture in the tire.

Bill
Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Lots of good and bad info in this trhread. But the ones who are telling you that N gives you problems are wrong. If they are seeing what they are seeing, it's due to something other than N.

Basically N, being 78% of the air we breath, is produced in a manner that dries the moisture out of it. That is the ONLY real benefit to using N. If the air compressor you get your air from has a dryer, then you will see the same pressure fluctuations as if you had pure N in your tire. AND, I would be willing to bet that those tires that were filled with N still have O, AR, and a few other components still in the gases in their tires. I have never seen a tire company pull a vacuum on a tire then fill it with N.

Smart move as noted is if it's free and handy, go ahead and use N, otherwise find a dry air source.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tires and nitrogen