Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Zora for 2017

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zora for 2017

Picked up C&D at the airport today, is an artical about mid engine 2017 Zora Vette.
I think this might be my next new car!!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:05 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm kinda thinking it isn't worth me upgrading to a c7 or c7z - until AWD, as more power won't do much good when leaving the line. So the zora would have awd I hope and do 0-60 in the 2's. Does the article say awd?
Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 PM
gearbox
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
I'm kinda thinking it isn't worth me upgrading to a c7 or c7z - until AWD, as more power won't do much good when leaving the line. So the zora would have awd I hope and do 0-60 in the 2's. Does the article say awd?
Very good point. I was hoping for awd in the new c7 z but obviously not
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awd is the next step,the Zs have so much power but unless u go backwards in time and put 15s on back u can't come close to getting to the ground if they went awd I'd be first in line ,right now I'm staying with C6Z.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:07 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Purely gossip, but....

A friend of mine, who's aunt works at the assembly plant, was telling me that they're talking about twin turbos.....

Last edited by erick_e; 09-05-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

I two read the article at the airport. Lol No mention of AWD but that would be awesome..
Old 09-17-2014, 10:45 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I just read the article, it did say that by 2020 a four wheel drive corvette hybrid is a distinct possibility...not awd but four wheel drive.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:34 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
I just read the article, it did say that by 2020 a four wheel drive corvette hybrid is a distinct possibility...not awd but four wheel drive.
Unless they're planning to put an extra set of wheels for a total of six, awd = four wheel drive.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:52 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EViL427
Unless they're planning to put an extra set of wheels for a total of six, awd = four wheel drive.
No, they are not the same thing my friend...similar, but different in application.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:10 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No, they are not the same thing my friend...similar, but different in application.
You're kidding, right? If you have four wheels assisting with pushing the car forward, that's four wheels driving. When you have a car with only four wheels, all wheels are capable of pushing the car forward.

Unless you're confusing it with four wheel steering.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's semantics but...

4WD usually means the vehicle has a transfer case and the system is in 2WD most of the time unless 4WD is activated by electronic or manual lever selection.

AWD is "on" all the time, is usually a combination of 3 differentials either mechanically or electronically actuated to send power to the front wheels when the rear wheel slip is detected by wheel speed sensors.

That's how I understand it anyway.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

No I'm not kidding, AWD is a more advanced form of 4WD. AWD is usually controlled and monitored by computers and is continuously on. AWD has the ability to send power to an individual wheel if it needs it or reduce power to an individual wheel if that wheel is losing traction. 4WD is usually controlled by the driver. By that I mean there would be a switch or lever in the car that the driver can engage and go from 2WD to 4WD or "4x4". This system is old technology and usually does not have the advantage of computer management or the ability to increase or reduce power delivery to an individual wheel. It's usually found on SUVs or trucks which is why I'm curious as to the reason they'd put it on the vette as apposed to AWD. I hope this helped. To your point yes, both systems deliver power to 4 wheels but the application is different, that's why I said they're similar but different in application.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:13 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No I'm not kidding, AWD is a more advanced form of 4WD. AWD is usually controlled and monitored by computers and is continuously on. AWD has the ability to send power to an individual wheel if it needs it or reduce power to an individual wheel if that wheel is losing traction. 4WD is usually controlled by the driver. By that I mean there would be a switch or lever in the car that the driver can engage and go from 2WD to 4WD or "4x4". This system is old technology and usually does not have the advantage of computer management or the ability to increase or reduce power delivery to an individual wheel. It's usually found on SUVs or trucks which is why I'm curious as to the reason they'd put it on the vette as apposed to AWD. I hope this helped. To your point yes, both systems deliver power to 4 wheels but the application is different, that's why I said they're similar but different in application.
I hear what you're saying, but AWD just means "All Wheel Drive". Putting a deeper meaning on it is purely a matter of opinion and, as mentioned, semantics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive

"Four-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, AWD, 4WD, or 4×4 ("four by four") is a four-wheeled http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle with a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powertrain that allows all four http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel to receive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine."
Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Seen this?

http://www.motoringexposure.com/2666...t-mule-spotted

Old 09-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

There's no way that's going to happen and here's why:

1.) A mid engined car would not be built off of the same platform as the current C7.
2.) Because of this, IF (which I doubt) a mid engined Corvette was in the works, it would have to be a new generation.
3.) If there is a new generation of Corvette slated for 2017, that would mean that the C7 had a lifespan of three years.

Because of this, the only conclusion that you can arrive at is that a mid engined Corvette won't arrive until quite a ways down the line, and then a ZR1 version of that would be even farther down then line.

That's all just my opinion, but I will post a video of me eating my hat (I'll need to buy a hat first ) if a mid-engined Zora comes out before 2020 (if it ever does).

Last edited by Crabbers; 09-18-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
new ctsv mule? Looks like a horrible plastic surgery gone wrong!

taillights look like ferrari 458 units
body chevy malibu
c7 rear wheels
c7 valence
and autozone ricer mufflers

Last edited by el es tu; 09-18-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by el es tu
new ctsv mule? Looks like a horrible plastic surgery gone wrong!

taillights look like ferrari 458 units
body chevy malibu
c7 rear wheels
c7 valence
and autozone ricer mufflers
Dunno.....

From the pic Jalopnik and Car and Driver posted...

Get notified of new replies

To Zora for 2017

Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Yes, AWD is 4WD but it is a lot more sophisticated than 4WD. The big difference is that AWD is always on while 4WD usually has to be selected through some sort of switch or handle. AWD usually has a standard setup with most torque going to the rear wheels but has the ability to transfer torque from one axle to the other. So if the rear axle starts to slip torque can be transfered to the front or vice versa if the front axle starts to slip. With a limited slip diff in the rear that means it can it can move even though the two front wheels and one rear wheel are spinning if there is some way to control the front brakes then it can move anytime one wheel has traction. 4WD provides usually provides equal amounts of torque to the front and rear axles. If the vehicle a large number of them are not ordered with limited slip diffs so have the potential of getting stuck when both wheels on one side of the vehicle are in low traction situations. Limited slip diffs can reduce the chances of getting stuck but the main problem with 4WD is there is no way to move torque betwen axles. I have owned 2 AWD trucks and 1 Automatic 4WD truck. My Olds Bravada has a power split of 35% front and 65% rear and had a limited slip diff. It could go just about anywhere. My 99 Tahoe had automatic 4WD with a limited slip diff. When traction got low it would automatically shift into 4WD mode and send power to the front wheels. My 03 Tahoe has AWD. I am not sure what the torque split is but it can transfer torque between axles, it doesn't have a limited slip diff but it does use traction control to apply the brakes at each wheel to transfer torque from the wheel that doesn't have traction to the one that does. It also does pretty well.

The one thing you can say about any of them is they all have the bad characteristics of both front and rear wheel drive vehicles. For example when towing the Vette with the 03 Tahoe if I am climbing a hill with a curve and the transmission decides to downshift the sudden torque surge forces a significant understeer which depending on where the vehicle is located in the lane can force me into the next lane. The first time it happened I wasn't ready for it and the guy next to me had very good reaction time and avoided my transgression into his lane. The Bravada wouldn't do that since it only had a 160 HP V6 without much torque so it was tapped out as soon as it hit a hill.

From a track standpoint I think they add weight to the front, they add understeer and I am not sure they provide that much of an advantage unless there are a bunch of traction management aids that allow the power to be put down properly. A human driver with only brake and gas pedals wouldn't be able to manage the power going to each wheel and keep the car going in the desired direction.

Bill
Old 09-18-2014, 04:55 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

So whats the difference between 4WD and AWD?

I kidddd....I kiddd
Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LFZ
So whats the difference between 4WD and AWD?

I kidddd....I kiddd
Apparently nothing, it's just all semantics...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Zora for 2017