Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2007 Z06 build with HorsePowerAddicts, DE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 2007 Z06 build with HorsePowerAddicts, DE

Hi all,

I bought my 2007 Atomic Orange Z06, 2LZ/Nav, 12K miles, last Oct 31st and have been reading on here with what to do to it without "ruining" the car and the way it drives, but build the motor a bit. Really just LOVE this car!!!

My son is building a 1995 RX7 Twin Rotor Turbo car that will weigh around 1800#'s, we plan on running at Cecil County or MIR this year. Got alot to learn for the strip bc I have only run bikes down the quarter and never a car of any type. (Reading Ranger's threads). I may add a MGW shifter before spring, seems worthy.

Decided that the Katech K501 cam would be a good match for me. I looked at supercharging, but the price was a bit much, so staying NA with H,C,I and the normal bolt ons to put me in the 575HP range..... leaving the stock muffler bc I didn't want it obnoxiously loud or to drone while on the highway.

Here is what I did/am doing:
Kooks Coated LT, Catted X, MF108, ported stock TB and Intake, WCCH Stage 2 Heads .030, BTR rods, BTR sprinigs, 160 T stat, tune, etc. So, I installed the Headers, pipes and MF108 and took it (with stock tune) to Josh at HorsePowerAddicts for the motor work and tuning. He did a baseline run (with bolt ons) and here is what we got:

Then.... left it feeling totally comfortable with HPA doing the work and taking care of my car. You can tell that they enjoy their work and are knowledgeable with LS motors. Heads will ship out to WCCH next week. Now, wait. (Curious to see how the guides measure.)

Looks like I'm gonna need some wheels/tires to replace the Mich's on the rear just for the track..... gonna go with drag radials instead of slicks. Any ideas on tires/wheels would be great. Looking for used ones to slap on at the track wo spending too much money. Thanks for all the help thus far from the forum!

Bolt ons, stock tune.

Last edited by ratomicZ06; 03-01-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:54 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

FYI, you cannot have a build like this and leave stock mufflers lol... Very nice build, get yourself some mufflers or do the muffler mod
Old 02-09-2015, 08:14 PM
avijay
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Me too

ratomicZ06,

So go figure I just got my Atomic Orange Z06 back from HPA last Thursday and couldn't be happier with the outcome of the whole experience, my build is almost identical to yours but I left out LT's and kept stock exhaust manifolds with cats, I do have Corsa exhaust. I shipped the car there with just Halltech, Corsa, & Tune:

Dropped it off to HPA with this being the baseline

Josh & team did heads/cam package w tune and here's final outcome:

Post Heads/Cam & Tune

They took amazing care of the car and it returned back to me in the same condition that it left in. Not doing headers and X-pipe I know I left a bit of power on the table but that wasn't a major concern. It drives just like stock until you get on it then if flat out screams.

Good luck with your build, I think you'll be very happy.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Beautiful car..... love the rims and the chin spoiler! Glad it all worked out for you. What cam did you go with? My brain got dizzy trying to pick one.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 PM
avijay
Racer

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
Beautiful car..... love the rims and the chin spoiler! Glad it all worked out for you. What cam did you go with? My brain got dizzy trying to pick one.
Thanks man, right back at ya. I told Josh exactly what I was looking for and let him do the picking..

Competition Cams Camshaft Torquer 114LSA
Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by psp6158
FYI, you cannot have a build like this and leave stock mufflers lol... Very nice build, get yourself some mufflers or do the muffler mod
Yeah.... i was asked about the muffler mod.... think ill keep it quiet for awhile. Lol. Mufflers are pricey for little gains in HP.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:34 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by avijay
Thanks man, right back at ya. I told Josh exactly what I was looking for and let him do the picking..

Competition Cams Camshaft Torquer 114LSA
Hows the driveability in 6th at 70? Curious also fuel economy as opposed to stock? Really cool how the car can cruise and get 28mpg..... prolly lost that by a couple? Huh?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 PM
avijay
Racer

Hows the driveability in 6th at 70? Curious also fuel economy as opposed to stock? Really cool how the car can cruise and get 28mpg..... prolly lost that by a couple? Huh?
Cruising at 70mph in 6th is no different as far as I can tell, in regards to MPG's I haven't gotten enough time to assess, but just nothing that had concerned me from the get go. It's got a great idle with a decent but not crazy lope
Old 02-11-2015, 02:06 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Default What is single most noticeable dress up to do to the engine bay???

so.... HPA has my car apart and heads are shipped to WCCH.

Now.... need to have under the hood "LOOK" like something when its done.... Hmmmmm. At least one thing? without going crazy$.
What would you all do? I kinda was thinking about the painted (orange) stock rail covers??? Any ideas?
Thanks. Can't wait to get this back!

(trying to figure out how to get the pix up...too large)
Old 02-18-2015, 06:17 PM
avijay
Racer

car back yet?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:26 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by avijay
car back yet?
Heads are still at WCCH I think, but should be making their way back. My schedule is flexible so when its ready I'll be there, hopefully next week .... only thing is this damned weather. Gonna be 5 deg tonite and windy and another inch of white stuff. I'm gonna watch the tune on the day I pick it up.

If I had the car back, I'd stop spending money... keep ordering sh@t online. I want some black rims next.

Did you do anything to the engine bay, appearance wise? That would be a good topic to start.... "pics under the hood".
Old 02-18-2015, 07:36 PM
avijay
Racer

Heads are still at WCCH I think, but should be making their way back. My schedule is flexible so when its ready I'll be there, hopefully next week .... only thing is this damned weather. Gonna be 5 deg tonite and windy and another inch of white stuff. I'm gonna watch the tune on the day I pick it up.

If I had the car back, I'd stop spending money... keep ordering sh@t online. I want some black rims next.

Did you do anything to the engine bay, appearance wise? That would be a good topic to start.... "pics under the hood".
I hear ya, this damn weather is killing me too, snow on the ground and 7 degrees tonight, I've put about 15 miles on the car since I got it back and finally have new wheels on as well and can't drive it!

I left the engine compartment untouched, only addition was a catch can so it looks totally stock aside from that.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:33 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

So.... just got an update and apparently WCCH is very busy and it's gonna be another week until heads are back.

But they did forward to HPA the valve guide measurements:
2007 with 14k miles.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Rick M guide measurments.pdf (466.5 KB, 215 views)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

So.... just got an update and apparently WCCH is very busy and it's gonna be another week until heads are back.

But they did forward to HPA the valve guide measurements:
2007 with 14k miles.
Well your guides were done .................. what a surprise

DH
Old 02-26-2015, 05:01 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Well your guides were done .................. what a surprise

DH
So.... it looks pretty good, right?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

So.... it looks pretty good, right?
Uh ... NO!!

But your heads will be great when Richard gets done with them.

DH
Old 02-27-2015, 08:48 AM
bogdan_p
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had HPA do my car last year. Couldn't be happier with the result. Now, I have traction problems at 80mph.

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Z06 build with HorsePowerAddicts, DE

Old 02-28-2015, 06:58 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by bogdan_p
I had HPA do my car last year. Couldn't be happier with the result. Now, I have traction problems at 80mph.
What did you do component wise? Hp? Cam? Dont tell me ur car is orange too?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:20 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bogdan_p

They did mine last April & I know the feeling with respect to lack of traction. HPA
Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Update: Apparently WCCH is REAL busy .... they've had my heads for a LOOOOOOONG time, but shipped them out the other day, so in a week HPA should get them.

I was told the K501 cam is installed and just waiting on the heads to continue with putting it all back together. So.... another week and by next Friday...... I will get my car back!!!!

I actually miss that damned hunk of metal and frp. Can't wait to get it back with some good dyno results! and CLEAN it! I had to drive it up in road salt dust and was hating that, but I had to get it up there. When I get it home, I'm gonna wash the car and the undersides.

With any luck, I'll be driving the wheels off that car next weekend! Come on spring! It's been a record breaking cold winter here in MD.

Now I need to find some used rear wheels and slicks!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2007 Z06 build with HorsePowerAddicts, DE