Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??

This is NO JOKE !!!!!!!!!!

I have a black EE Catch Can. When I empty the can and look at the residual oil clinging to the bottom of the can there is a very fine GOLD GLITTER floating within it. You cannot see it if there is any depth of oil in the can. You cannot see it if oil is transferred to clear container. The oil had 3500 street miles. You have to hold the can in sunlight or use a flash light to view.

Here are some points to consider:
1. This is the same EE can used on my previous raced motor and my current not raced motor.
2. I have the same fairy dust then and now, been monitoring this for over a year.
3. Same for the stock and WCCH heads
4. Buddy has same EE can on modified motor and has the same but MORE fairy dust.
5. I used a strong magenet against the outside of the can and could not detect movement of the fairy dust. But maybe not strong enough.
6. Sorry did not try to get picture. Maybe somone else will or I will try in a couple thosand miles.

I think its the iron that we all see on our magnetic plugs. It looks fine enough to get through bearing space or any other part of the motor. The material could be alum, iron, bronze or titanium and it would likely look goldish due to color of the oil against the black can.

It is possible the the fairy dust could be comming from the EE can filter medium. I will try and contact them but the medium is shaved metal.

So I woud like to see if others can confirm fairy dust in their catch cans, any brand. It might be hard to see if your can is not black bottomed so maybe some one can confirm viewing on different color.

Opinions ?????????

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 03-06-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:44 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

I would shake it up to insure the stuff in question is suspended in the oil.
Dump it into a clean container and send it out to be analyzed. If it's bearing material it won't be magnetic.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stefuel
I would shake it up to insure the stuff in question is suspended in the oil.
Dump it into a clean container and send it out to be analyzed. If it's bearing material it won't be magnetic.
Shaking up won't solve anything.I have tested this many times, always completely cleaning the can. Wiping with clean clothe and rinsing with brake cleaner. You can not see it in suspension of any depth as the oil is too dark. You can only see it in the the remaining oil film on the can bottom after emptying the can.

The whole point is that I have had it on my last two LS7 motor and the only other guy that I checked also has it. So the question is ... "Does Everyone have it and just don't know it? Maybe its related to guide wear!

DH
Old 02-22-2015, 07:41 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Shaking up won't solve anything.I have tested this many times, always completely cleaning the can. Wiping with clean clothe and rinsing with brake cleaner. You can not see it in suspension of any depth as the oil is too dark. You can only see it in the the remaining oil film on the can bottom after emptying the can.

The whole point is that I have had it on my last two LS7 motor and the only other guy that I checked also has it. So the question is ... "Does Everyone have it and just don't know it? Maybe its related to guide wear!

DH
I fully understand what you are saying but having the oil analyzed will identify the fairy dust
Old 02-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Gizmo5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed an EE can on my car today, brand new top end for the car as well. I'll give my input as miles add up with pics if I see anything.

I beat the **** out of my car as well, redline it about once a day if not more, so if something isnt right, it will show.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gizmo5
Just installed an EE can on my car today, brand new top end for the car as well. I'll give my input as miles add up with pics if I see anything.

I beat the **** out of my car as well, redline it about once a day if not more, so if something isnt right, it will show.
Great!

Is your can Black?

You have to look close and put your reading glasses on if you need them otherwise you may not see it beacuse its so fine.

DH
Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

It's NOT coming from the filter media.

As others have suggested, if you REALLY want to know what it is, send a sample to Blackstone Labs.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stefuel
I fully understand what you are saying but having the oil analyzed will identify the fairy dust
How much do you think that would cost?

DH
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
It's NOT coming from the filter media.

As others have suggested, if you REALLY want to know what it is, send a sample to Blackstone Labs.
Dan I doubt it too as that mesh is not coming apart.

But since the 3 motors I have checked have I thought other members would want to check their catch cans too.

DH
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Gizmo5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great!

Is your can Black?

You have to look close and put your reading glasses on if you need them otherwise you may not see it beacuse its so fine.

DH
Indeed, I have black can. I dont think its the material either as thats just lathe spin off stainless from what I saw, or something of the like

Old 02-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gizmo5
Indeed, I have black can. I dont think its the material either as thats just lathe spin off stainless from what I saw, or something of the like

Thats correct on the filter medium.

How long till you get a couple thousand miles? If you have cam or track it you obviously will catch enough oil sooner.

DH
Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

DH
its fairly cheap to have an analysis done..and they are quick
Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pewter99
its fairly cheap to have an analysis done..and they are quick
Where ?

Do you have a catch can?

DH
Old 02-22-2015, 09:41 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

DH
Its 20 or 25 dollars at Blackstone labs. Request a kit and after you get it send it back in their kit.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by seamus2154
Its 20 or 25 dollars at Blackstone labs. Request a kit and after you get it send it back in their kit.
I use Blackstone.

I asked them and they said they could NOT analyse metal particles big enough to see suspended in the oil.

Do you have a catch can?

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 02-22-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:52 PM
4vettezo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed
Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would do an oil change and send your oil to blackstone.

Get notified of new replies

To ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??

Old 02-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Late at night, a faint voice is heard in Howie's garage.

"Hello...anybody there!? I'm my name is Tinker Bell and I'm trapped inside this engine...been here for months. I keep putting dust in the hose that goes to the catch can but nobody comes to rescue me."
Old 02-22-2015, 11:28 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Late at night, a faint voice is heard in Howie's garage.

"Hello...anybody there!? I'm my name is Tinker Bell and I'm trapped inside this engine...been here for months. I keep putting dust in the hose that goes to the catch can but nobody comes to rescue me."
But Hib, I am trying to save Tink

And I know she has been in at least 3 motors.

Do you have a black EE can ??

We can check my can on wednesday but I will only have a couple hundred miles sonce cleaning it out.

DH
Old 02-22-2015, 11:28 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is NO JOKE !!!!!!!!!!

I have a black EE Catch Can. When I empty the can and look at the residual oil clinging to the bottom of the can there is a very fine GOLD GLITTER floating within it. You cannot see it if there is any depth of oil in the can. You cannot see it if oil is transferred to clear container. The oil had 3500 street miles. You have to hold the can in sunlight or use a flash light to view.

Here are some points to consider:
1. This is the same EE can used on my previous raced motor and my current not raced motor.
2. I have the same fairy dust then and now, been monitoring this for over a year.
3. Same for the stock and WCCH heads
4. Buddy has same EE can on modified motor and has the same but MORE fairy dust.
5. I used a strong magenet against the outside of the can and could not detect movement of the fairy dust. But maybe not strong enough.
6. Sorry did not try to get picture. Maybe somone else will or I will try in a couple thosand miles.

I think its the iron that we all see on our magnetic plugs. It looks fine enough to get through bearing space or any other part of the motor. The material could be alum, iron, bronze or titanium and it would likely look goldish due to color of the oil against the black can.

It is possible the the fairy dust could be comming from the EE can filter medium. I will try and contact them but the medium is shaved metal.

So I woud like to see if others can confirm fairy dust in their catch cans, any brand. It might be hard to see if your can is not black bottomed so maybe some one can confirm viewing on different color.

Opinions ?????????

DH
I'm the other guy with fairy dust.
Mine had about 10x more than Howie's. His trapped oil had 3500 miles on it, mine had 2x the volume, 1 track day and about 500 street miles.
Doesn't bother me as much as it does Howie. I would just figure it was the bronze valve guides but Howie has powder metal type.
I have 75,000 miles on the lower end and 15,000 on the WCCH, in 25,000 I'm going to pull it apart and freshen everything up.
This motor runs like a 'Raped Ape' (we know raped apes are fast because no has ever seen one) puts down 545 RWHP.
I'm not too concerned with the motor it's everything else that breaks.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??