Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is 2900lbs too radical for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

My 08 Z was at 3063 lbs.....simple mods: coilovers, sways, Akra exhaust, sucked out windshield fluid, >1/4 tank gas, OEM Speedline Splitspokes on R888 (stock sizes). You can easily drop weight on these things....but it is expensive to shed it off where it counts.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree. But it is worth it. Freeing up weight makes an obvious difference. To the guy who says its a waste unless I'm trying to knock off tenths, if I can feel a difference with 50lbs of stuff in my trunk dropping 150 off the entire car is definitely something I will notice. It's like saying adding 40rwhp won't be noticed, of course it will.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
I agree. But it is worth it. Freeing up weight makes an obvious difference. To the guy who says its a waste unless I'm trying to knock off tenths, if I can feel a difference with 50lbs of stuff in my trunk dropping 150 off the entire car is definitely something I will notice. It's like saying adding 40rwhp won't be noticed, of course it will.
check out post #376 here
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-list-19.html
Old 03-03-2015, 10:13 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383
Too radical for me. There are some good ideas in there though.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Weight loss

For a street car I think you have to weigh the balance of what is practical and what actually is going to make a difference and factor in is it better/easier to make the car more powerful. I understand road racing the weight is key especially if done correctly or you are trying to go for some kind of record. However, for street or entry level drag racing (say 10.0 et and above) there is a balance. There are plenty of guys running low 10s with the car off pretty much the same as off the showroom floor but with exhaust and clutch mods specifically lowering the weight (the cam, intake and heads mods do not change the weight). In fact does getting a lithium battery and a lighter mufflers hurt in a drag race situation as even though are taking 50 pounds off the car but where it needs it most - over the tires. The big easy items are clutch, exhaust, battery, seats and a few other items. After that trying to get another 100 pounds is tough and makes the car not a lot of fun to drive or look at. Are you going to regret taking out radio or AC just to save a few pounds (once again this is for a street car). A 100 pounds is about 3% in weight so another 15-20 hp or so should cover that assuming you are in the 500-650 hp zone. So the answer is 2,900 pounds is not too light for street, just are you going to like what you are left with.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Butt dyno... gotta love it.

No you cant feel 50lbs other than in your mind... You will barely feel 150.

There is a huge difference between 40rwhp and shedding 50-150lbs. What a silly comparison. Shaving 150lb your going to gain a theoretical 25hp. That HP. Not WHP. That's not even considering some of your weight saving is in rotational mass which changes that calculation a bit.

You want to shed weight for the street. You will barely notice the difference. Its your money though. Personally I would just add power. Its much cheaper and the return is much greater. You don't start shaving weight until you have pretty much exhausted all your HP gainers.

Now as LEJ pointed out there are some cheap methods to shaving weight. Removing things without replacement. Remove the passenger seat. Remove the stereo equipment. Take the sound dampening material out. The carpets, the floor mats. ect ect. If your looking for a street car this is not something you would enjoy for long.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:35 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by propain

There is a huge difference between 40rwhp and shedding 50-150lbs. What a silly comparison. Shaving 150lb your going to gain a theoretical 25hp. That HP. Not WHP. That's not even considering some of your weight saving is in rotational mass which changes that calculation a bit.

You want to shed weight for the street. You will barely notice the difference. Its your money though. Personally I would just add power. Its much cheaper and the return is much greater. You don't start shaving weight until you have pretty much exhausted all your HP gainers.

Now as LEJ pointed out there are some cheap methods to shaving weight. Removing things without replacement. Remove the passenger seat. Remove the stereo equipment. Take the sound dampening material out. The carpets, the floor mats. ect ect. If your looking for a street car this is not something you would enjoy for long.
I've always heard the old drag racing rule of thumb that 100lb reduction = 10hp = 1/10 of a second and 1 mph in the 1/4 mile. I'm sure that's very crude math though.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
How noticeable is a 100 lbs weight loss on a C6 Z06 when it comes to tracking it? On an average 2:00 min laptime does it help shave just a tenth off or multiple seconds?

I often times see posts about extreme measures to lose weight and always wondered does it even make a noticeable performance difference?

Or is it just more for bragging rights? My car weighs 29XX. Kinda like comparing HP dyno numbers.
My CMC race car was a converted 93 Camaro AutoX car. I ran the first season without the interior with a full cage but left in the AC, radio etc., as I didn't really expect to be podium competitive the first year out being new to all the West Coast Tracks. True enough I ran in the back of the pack consistently in 20-25 car fields with weight control and rwhp control (230 rwhp max). I was weighing 3350-3400 with me in the car and remaining fuel at the end of a race. Over the winter I had the car on a weight diet to get down to the end of race weight limit of 3250 with remaining fuel and driver and gear in the car. So a 100-150 lb weight reduction. Same driver with slightly more experience track to track. First race out was at Fontana (Auto Club Roval) and I got my first podium finish in a 22 car field. The weight reduction was likely worth 2 sec a lap (well the year's experience may have been half that) but the real difference was in a 25-30 min session at 10/10ths the last few minutes I still had brakes and tires. With the heavier car, my brakes were gone and the tires were very greasy after 20 minutes. So that was worth 10 positions in and of itself. Go light, go fast.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I've always heard the old drag racing rule of thumb that 100lb reduction = 10hp = 1/10 of a second and 1 mph in the 1/4 mile. I'm sure that's very crude math though.

Pretty much. Its all about power to weight ratios. 505HP at 3100lbs is approx. 0.163 hp per 1 lb of weight. So saving 150lbs is a theoretical gain of 25hp. Which should translate to about .15 in the 1/4. You barely feel .15 in the 1/4.

If the OP wanted to feel the same gain as 40whp as he stated above he would need to shed about 350lbs.

Last edited by propain; 03-04-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by pkincy
My CMC race car was a converted 93 Camaro AutoX car. I ran the first season without the interior with a full cage but left in the AC, radio etc., as I didn't really expect to be podium competitive the first year out being new to all the West Coast Tracks. True enough I ran in the back of the pack consistently in 20-25 car fields with weight control and rwhp control (230 rwhp max). I was weighing 3350-3400 with me in the car and remaining fuel at the end of a race. Over the winter I had the car on a weight diet to get down to the end of race weight limit of 3250 with remaining fuel and driver and gear in the car. So a 100-150 lb weight reduction. Same driver with slightly more experience track to track. First race out was at Fontana (Auto Club Roval) and I got my first podium finish in a 22 car field. The weight reduction was likely worth 2 sec a lap (well the year's experience may have been half that) but the real difference was in a 25-30 min session at 10/10ths the last few minutes I still had brakes and tires. With the heavier car, my brakes were gone and the tires were very greasy after 20 minutes. So that was worth 10 positions in and of itself. Go light, go fast.

Nice. Yes on the road course small changes in weight can go a long way. The small gains compounded over a long period of time add up for sure.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Throw 3 bags of kitty litter in your car and tell me you don't feel that. It's obvious to me.

Car is at 540rwhp/550rwtq. Besides a port and polish there isn't much else to do. I'm not going FI and its a street car so I'm not going to add a more aggressive cam (it already needs to be semi launched as is).

Pretty much. Its all about power to weight ratios. 505HP at 3100lbs is approx. 0.163 hp per 1 lb of weight. So saving 150lbs is a theoretical gain of 25hp. Which should translate to about .15 in the 1/4. You barely feel .15 in the 1/4.

If the OP wanted to feel the same gain as 40whp as he stated above he would need to shed about 350lbs.
Stock weight 3140 rhwp 540 ptw .1719
Reduced weight 2900 rwhp 540 ptw .1862
Stock weight 3140 rwhp 580 ptw .1847

I don't know what your agenda is here but plain old math says your wrong.

Last edited by gatti-man; 03-04-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Shedding unsprung weight is what counts IMO and that can be felt. I know when I had 360 forged wheels on the Z...the car felt like a sluggish brick compared to running OE wheels with R888s. Swapping to 2 piece rotors makes a noticeable difference that can be felt as well.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:40 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LFZ
Shedding unsprung weight is what counts IMO and that can be felt. I know when I had 360 forged wheels on the Z...the car felt like a sluggish brick compared to running OE wheels with R888s. Swapping to 2 piece rotors makes a noticeable difference that can be felt as well.
I plan to. But stock wheels aren't very heavy. It's not going to make a huge difference by itself.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:58 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Throw 3 bags of kitty litter in your car and tell me you don't feel that. It's obvious to me.

Car is at 540rwhp/550rwtq. Besides a port and polish there isn't much else to do. I'm not going FI and its a street car so I'm not going to add a more aggressive cam (it already needs to be semi launched as is).

Stock weight 3140 rhwp 540 ptw .1719
Reduced weight 2900 rwhp 540 ptw .1862
Stock weight 3140 rwhp 580 ptw .1847

I don't know what your agenda is here but plain old math says your wrong.

My math is going by stock weight and stock power. Duhhhh... Going by your power you will still only be gaining a theoretical 25-30HP. Again HP. Not WHP. The unsprung weight will make the biggest difference. Again.... 100's of seconds. Nothing that will knock your socks off and be noticeable.

No agenda. Your wasting your money if its just a street car but its yours to waste. You will barely feel 150lbs at that power level. You cant launch it now at full power on the street making it lighter wont help with that either.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:10 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

My math is going by stock weight and stock power. Duhhhh... Going by your power you will still only be gaining a theoretical 25-30HP. Again HP. Not WHP. The unsprung weight will make the biggest difference. Again.... 100's of seconds. Nothing that will knock your socks off and be noticeable.

No agenda. Your wasting your money if its just a street car but its yours to waste. You will barely feel 150lbs at that power level. You cant launch it now at full power on the street making it lighter wont help with that either.

Good luck.
Read the math. It speaks for itself. Your clearly drive by crap posting here as the math I posted shows it's more than 40rwhp at my power levels. I never asked what's your opinion on my money spending for weight loss goals. Quit trolling.

Last edited by gatti-man; 03-04-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:18 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Read the math. It speaks for itself. I never asked what's your opinion on my money spending for weight loss goals. Quit trolling.
Ahh same old Gatti.......

Not trolling. Just giving you my opinion and waking you up from your wet dream. Like I said, its yours to spend. If you said you were tracking it I would understand. You would see some gains from losing 150lbs because you would be shaving 10ths here and there. On the street its a waste and I know from your history on this forum your a bang for your buck kinda guy.

Good luck with your kitty litter calculations.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Ahh same old Gatti.......

Not trolling. Just giving you my opinion and waking you up from your wet dream. Like I said, its yours to spend. If you said you were tracking it I would understand. You would see some gains from losing 150lbs because you would be shaving 10ths here and there. On the street its a waste and I know from your history on this forum your a bang for your buck kinda guy.

Good luck with your kitty litter calculations.
How in the world can you add engine Hp by shedding weight, assuming the weight reduction is not coming off the Tq generated at the wheels..

Reducing weight increases the delta v/delta t which is acceleration. The result is a car that is faster.

Get notified of new replies

To Is 2900lbs too radical for the street?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:48 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

You must have a lot of cats.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Is 2900lbs wet unachievable without major sacrifices? This is my list so far of places I can cut that won't bother me for a weekend street car/hpde car
Weight loss chart starting at 3140
Michelin ps2 Tires 5lbs
Battery 21lbs Braille b2015c
Cooks Headers 25lbs
LG G2 Coil overs 5lbs
Cf Roof and halo 12lbs
Sparco Evo 2 12lb
Seat mounts 40lbs
Window fluid ~5lbs?
Wheels 22lbs hre r40
Spectre werkes gtr cf hood 12lbs
Radio is 20lbs Id like to keep this but maybe put in something lighter if possible.

Besides these mods (some of which are already in the car) im coming up blank as where to cut weight without really compromising it's street carness so to speak.

Is 2950-3000lbs pretty much it?
Our G2 coil overs will remove 16lbs from the car over the factory setup.
our pin on W.C. hood takes off 20lbs
ForgeLine one piece GA1R wheels should pull another 18 lbs
two piece rotors another 20lbs? approx or you can go carbon
Our headers remove 27lbs
Our GT4 cat back removes 24.4lbs
go to a Sparco seat and mount and pull 20-25lbs a side with fixed mounts
Centerforce DYAD clutch will pull 16lbs, a Tilton carbon will remove almost 40 lbs

Tons of different ways to pull weight off the car.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

you guys saying you won't feel 150 LB are fn kidding me right? Are you numb? Maybe too much coke the night before...
Put a passenger in your car and tell me you don't feel a difference? Even a 110 lb woman and I feel the difference. Put the crack pipe down and enjoy that TQ

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is 2900lbs too radical for the street?