Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Battery Replacement Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:15 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Replacement Advice

So, my '10 Z06 (Project Crystal) on this Forum, sits dead in my garage with it's second Delco Battery. I do use a trickle charger on this car, but not 100% of the time.

Along with all of the power and handling mods I have done, I have been putting the car on a modest weight reduction plan, and it is now at 3090 lbs, even with gaining a few pounds when I added the Apsis custom leather/alcantera seats to replace the former folding chairs. I figure that I am now at about 425 lbs lighter that the dreadnought C7 Z with power levels very close.

So making lemonade out of lemons, perhaps I could knock off a few more lbs with the new battery, old battery is 36 lbs.

I have narrowed down my choices based upon my review of the excellent spreadsheet in this Forum that documents comparative weights. My primary concerns are not $$$, but weight, and decent reliable startability for a recreational toy.

Candidates are:

1. Autozone Gold - 29.7 lbs
2. Odyssey - 26 lbs
3. Braille 2015c - 15 lbs.

Opinions?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I am running a Shorai in mine with nice results. Right around 5 pounds.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:16 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
How long have you had it installed, do you use a charger/maintainer? What is the CCA and reserve, also cost?

I'm thinking lithium next time for the weight savings. Just kinda nervous how it will hold up. The Braille I would like is over a grand, with a short warranty period.
Shorai LFX36L3. Shorai makes a specific charger for these batteries and I do use it. I killed the first shorai, I should say, my alternator killed the first shorai. That is the weakness of them, once full discharged it must be sent back to have the chemical makeup restored. My alternator's voltage regulator drained the first one completely and killed it.

It seems to be fine. Other members on here have/are running it. It is super small and very light(less than 5 lbs). I used Katech's braille battery foam support to secure it, but you could easily cut pieces out of foam to secure it yourself.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I have been trying to find out a replacement battery for about a week, I will share what I have learned:

1. If your battery is an enclosed battery you need a vented battery.
The Duralast is vented....( I have a GS that is enclosed in the rear battery so it calls for the same Z06 battery which is vented)
The Optma and Odyssey claim you don't need venting but read their website and they can still create hydrogen gas in uncommon situations. Worth the risk...? Probably not,,,
Here is a link in the forum with discussion on this topic..Post #1 and Post #7 ...: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-options.html

2. 3 companies make all the major batteries for example Johnson control makes a ton of different batteries.
Here is a list of the batteries they make....
http://bestbatterytips.com/best-bran...nson-controls/
Many people use this as a reason to buy the cheapest at Walmart, however, Chevrolet makes a bunch of cars just like Johnson makes a ton of batteries, the most expensive cars at Chevrolet (like our corvette) are better than the lower cost ones. So surely although Johnson makes many brands they are not created equal?...Or maybe its like generic prescriptions and they are all the same? I don't know and I don't think, based on reviews I have read, it makes a big enough difference to matter. Some of the best name batteries last no longer in some cases than the cheapest...

3. Nonetheless, with our cars you will be replacing them sooner than later so I have gone to looking at only the Cold cranking amps, cranking amps, reserve time, vented or not , and weight....the Duralast was my final decision. http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...96492&cmpid=cj

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Cor430vette; 05-17-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:28 PM
SuperchargedTundra
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced the stock one with the autozone gold. Gets the job done...10lbs lighter...less damage on the wallet also
Old 04-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SuperchargedTundra
I replaced the stock one with the autozone gold. Gets the job done...10lbs lighter...less damage on the wallet also
I believe the Duralast gold exceeds all of the AC Delco from the factory specs. I know my Delco had CCA of 590 versus the CCA of 650 from Duralast. I know some people will argue CCA is not important but CCA, CA and reserve time are all used by The Battery Council International and I quote "as standardized tests that allow all battery manufacturers to list specifications for their batteries, based on the outcome of those standardized tests. One of the measurements that can be determined from those standardized tests is how many cold cranking amps (CCA) a battery can generate." So collectively all the standards can be weighted against each other as a way to generate at least an idea of how good a battery is relative to its competition.

Here is more information also on the venting dilema straight from optima's web page....if you type in "venting" on their webpage there are allot of comments from them stating that it needs to be vented from a safety stand point...
http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us...tima-mailbox5/
http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us...ries-trailers/

Last edited by Cor430vette; 05-17-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:29 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperchargedTundra
Same here, and a good warranty with it
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 PM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odyssey if you want the best (does require an Odyssey specific battery maintainer/charger though):

Mil-Spec batteries that won't die....
Old 04-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wrh3
Odyssey if you want the best (does require an Odyssey specific battery maintainer/charger though):

Mil-Spec batteries that won't die....
I really like the stats on Odyssey but it is like the Optima battery and is not vented and it has the risk in certain situations of producing hydrogen gas .. although probably a low probability. I am unsure if I am willing to take a risk of explosion for any battery. Especially when the Duralast gold will do the job is vented so no risk, costs around 100 dollars less and weights over 10lbs less. Odyssey weights 40lbs....

Here is a quote:

Originally Posted by leres
The Optima and the Odyssey are both Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) mat batteries and both have the potential to vent hydrogen gas.

The Odyssey has a vent (aka valve):

And according to the MSDS, it may produce hydrogen:

The Odyssey looks nice WRT physical size and positive terminal orientation but their application guide does not even list specific vehicles and I'll bet you can't get them to say any of their batteries are a replacement for the OEM Z06 battery.

Last edited by Cor430vette; 04-05-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
Of course you know that the battery was behind the drivers seat in the C-3 Corvettes. The batteries weren't even sealed like some of the ones today. (well almost anyway)
Did not know that. I wonder if they were not aware of the risk back then? Nonetheless, even if risk is low we actually have the option to not take the risk at all....unlike back then ....if the Optima and Odyssey were so astronomically better it may be worth the risk but I have read about them going dead also...

Last edited by Cor430vette; 04-05-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:03 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am a bit confused by comments on the Odyssey battery since I thought it was quite a bit lighter than the stock unit, not heavier...
Old 04-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Odyssey is not lighter, it's a tiny bit heavier, but it has much greater "pulse cranking" power which is what you need to start an LS7, especially a modified one. The reason the Odyssey is a bit heavier is the virgin lead plates. There's a lot of info on Odyssey's web site.

One of the first things I did with my '12 Z is put an Odyssey in place of the OE Delco.

In theory, yes, the Odyssey might make hydrogen, but I don't think that's an issue unless you constantly run a high charge rate. The battery is not vented so it's going to be hard for the H2 to get out.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:29 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

My original battery lasted 5 years, and most of the time I didn't have a charger on it. I replaced it for a warm fuzzy feeling, and it was from Auto Zone.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:30 PM
wrh3
Pro

My original Odyssey battery lasted 10+ years and was still in it's second car when I sold it.....I have not been able to kill one yet. I did run that one in the ground a few times and the Odyssey charger brought it back to life every time. If you use a regular charger/maintainer they might be damaged, but other than that can handle a lot more total discharge cycles than OE.
Odyssey PC1200 weight in specs is 38 lbs, AutoZone/Advance OE replacements weight in spec is 32 lbs, so not a huge difference. Of course there are smaller Odyssey batteries that weigh less but might require some type of mounting solution, the PC1200 fits perfect.

Odyssey PC1200MJT vs OE size (you can also see the double-duct-taped-handle method of extraction used):

Hib Halverson has a review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/review/RC63...SIN=B002496GK8

The Technical Manual may answer other questions: http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...1_0411_000.pdf

FWIW, some of the DieHard Platinum batteries are/were rebadged Odyssey batteries at a lower cost.

The Odyssey in my 427 was originally in my GS, to date I have not had any issues with any of the Odyssey batteries I have owned......maybe I'll have this car/battery long enough to replace one.

Last edited by wrh3; 04-06-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:32 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
So, my '10 Z06 (Project Crystal) on this Forum, sits dead in my garage with it's second Delco Battery. I do use a trickle charger on this car, but not 100% of the time.
2 Batteries in 5 years should have been 100% covered under the standard 30 month full replacement for AC Delco...
Old 04-06-2015, 03:33 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Just installed the new interstate battery works perfect.. More cranking amps starts right up with my heads and cam..

Yes it does have the vent for the battery..
Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

The Odyssey I was originally referring to was Part PC925MJT, listed in the Sticky spreadsheet itemizing weights of various parts, as 26 lbs. Clearly, this must be a different model than the one referenced in Hib's response....

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Replacement Advice

Old 04-06-2015, 04:34 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
2 Batteries in 5 years should have been 100% covered under the standard 30 month full replacement for AC Delco...
Well....probably not...You see, bought this '10 3LZ (one of two left in the country) brand new off of the showroom floor at a RI dealership in the summer of '11, at an extremely serious discount from MSRP Just before I picked it up, they had replaced the original battery with another Delco, said the original went dead. Car had about 30 miles on it when I bought it.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Robert_M
Instructor

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Well....probably not...You see, bought this '10 3LZ (one of two left in the country) brand new off of the showroom floor at a RI dealership in the summer of '11, at an extremely serious discount from MSRP Just before I picked it up, they had replaced the original battery with another Delco, said the original went dead. Car had about 30 miles on it when I bought it.
Anyone have any easy trick for lifting out the old battery and lowering the new one back in? Looks very tight for fingers in there!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:06 PM
wrh3
Pro

Originally Posted by Robert_M
Anyone have any easy trick for lifting out the old battery and lowering the new one back in? Looks very tight for fingers in there!
If you look at one of my photos on page 1 of this thread, I found the easiest way was to make a duct tape handle, run from the bottom of one side of the battery to the bottom of the other side so that it has a lot of surface area to stick to, doubled up for strength. You will still have to maneuver a bit to get it out (kind of like that old game operation but with a heavy organ) but it does the job.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Battery Replacement Advice