Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] No available 'recommended' roller tip rocker?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Default No available 'recommended' roller tip rocker?

Seems that there isn't a 'good and recommended' simple bolt-down roller tip rocker available for the LS7 like so many available for my previous toys (Mustangs)

Harland Sharp seems to have one (about $1000) but requires you to measure and probably require shorter pushrods.

thoughts??
Old 04-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Seems that there isn't a 'good and recommended' simple bolt-down roller tip rocker available for the LS7 like so many available for my previous toys (Mustangs)

Harland Sharp seems to have one (about $1000) but requires you to measure and probably require shorter pushrods.

thoughts??
Yell Terra YT6670's are the answer here (assuming you don't go crazy with spring pressure - keep it around 400# open and you'll be fine). If you are a smart shopper, you can score them for under $600. No head modifications or aftermarket PR needed.

Yes, I know about the slight offset issue on the intake, yes, Chris and I are working with Roger Vinci / YT to correct this (they claim it is a head casting variance, and I can't dispute that at this time). My replacements with the corrected offset are being CNC'd as we speak, should be in the States and on my car in a few weeks.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:00 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

^^^^

thanks for the info - my PRC heads have dual springs so probably 400-low 400 spring pressures I'll assume and hate to assume. Did read that many don't like the YT though

Looking forward to reading more - keep us posted
Old 04-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

YTs went in the toilet WRT valve bounce in Katech's testing.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:50 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

No need...stock rockers work just fine unless you've got some crazy lift cam, then I would look into a real nice shaft mount rocker system (which obviously requires additional machining). Upgrade the trunions on the stockers if you like...Comp makes a kit as well as BTR and CHE.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:00 PM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yella Terra are garbage.. too many failures in the castings for one to ever consider as a viable option IMO.

If you want roller rockers do it right. Machine the pedastals and get some Jesel or Crower etc.

If not, the stock LS7 rockers are fine. If you are worried about needle bearings do the Comp cams or BTR trunion upgrade or simply buy a brand new set of LS7 rockers manufactured in the later years.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:03 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yella terras are fine for me, and i have enough spring to use them properly. I run a .660 lift cam and appx 390 lbs over the nose
Old 04-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Undy
YTs went in the toilet WRT valve bounce in Katech's testing.
What, the last Spintron test? If so, A: those were NOT YT's (they were HS IIRC), B: that was a silly test, using the stock springs - of course it wasn't stellar.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by djfury05
Yella Terra are garbage.. too many failures in the castings for one to ever consider as a viable option IMO.

If you want roller rockers do it right. Machine the pedastals and get some Jesel or Crower etc.

If not, the stock LS7 rockers are fine. If you are worried about needle bearings do the Comp cams or BTR trunion upgrade or simply buy a brand new set of LS7 rockers manufactured in the later years.
Please stop spreading rumors and misinformation - Just say you don't prefer them, no need to bash and make up crap.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
: that was a silly test, using the stock springs - of course it wasn't stellar.
That silly test was intentional, to show to effects of valve side of pivot, mass-moi changes can make. Not to sell anything, but to be educational.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
No need...stock rockers work just fine unless you've got some crazy lift cam, then I would look into a real nice shaft mount rocker system (which obviously requires additional machining). Upgrade the trunions on the stockers if you like...Comp makes a kit as well as BTR and CHE.
^^^

I have 650 lift cam and did do the Trunion upgrade on my stockers too
Old 04-08-2015, 04:31 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
^^^

I have 650 lift cam and did do the Trunion upgrade on my stockers too
Then IMO, you've done all you can without going to shaft mount rockers...Crower and Jessel is where I would look. Both are real nice, I prefer the Jessels but Crowers are equally as nice and a bit easier on the wallet. If I was running that much lift (or more), I would have shaft mount rockers as part of my set up.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael_D
That silly test was intentional, to show to effects of valve side of pivot, mass-moi changes can make. Not to sell anything, but to be educational.
Fair enough.. If I had been on the ground floor of the last test, and had purchased my YT set already, and could convince folks to run a test with them and the PSI springs, I would have volunteered a pair and I bet we would have seen a decent outcome, and YT would be selling a lot of LS7 rockers..

Oh well!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I tried like hell to get a pair of YT's, as well as have more tests ran. YT refused to sell me a pair. As far as more tests, I would have had to pay for them. My generosity only goes so far...... this is a sore subject for me.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I tried like hell to get a pair of YT's, as well as have more tests ran. YT refused to sell me a pair. As far as more tests, I would have had to pay for them. My generosity only goes so far...... this is a sore subject for me.
No doubt, in consideration of how things went down..
Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

What, the last Spintron test? If so, A: those were NOT YT's (they were HS IIRC), B: that was a silly test, using the stock springs - of course it wasn't stellar.
You're correct, went back and checked the test results. I guess my powers of recollection are waning.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:14 PM
djfury05
Pro

Please stop spreading rumors and misinformation - Just say you don't prefer them, no need to bash and make up crap.
Rumors? Maybe you should do some research. Go on LS1tech and you'll find plenty of threads with yella terras breaking completely off at the pushrod cup. Then you can see for yourself how much "crap" you think I'm making up. Don't like my post? Move past it, I'll say what I think fits the subject.

Get notified of new replies

To No available 'recommended' roller tip rocker?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 PM
ZZMike
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
Rumors? Maybe you should do some research. Go on LS1tech and you'll find plenty of threads with yella terras breaking completely off at the pushrod cup. Then you can see for yourself how much "crap" you think I'm making up. Don't like my post? Move past it, I'll say what I think fits the subject.
So, I admit, curiosity got the best of me and I went over to LS1Tech to get a look at how many sets of YT6670 LS7 rocker arms had broken.

Come to find out, not one single issue.

As a matter of fact, it would appear that once YT got their **** together in regard to the LS1 UltraLite stuff back in 2010, the issues with the LS1 stuff breaking seemed to have disappeared as well, unless people were running a set with an older design

Looking over on LS1Tech at what YT customer service did for folks that did experience breakage, I'd run them.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:48 PM
djfury05
Pro

Originally Posted by ZZMike
So, I admit, curiosity got the best of me and I went over to LS1Tech to get a look at how many sets of YT6670 LS7 rocker arms had broken.

Come to find out, not one single issue.

As a matter of fact, it would appear that once YT got their **** together in regard to the LS1 UltraLite stuff back in 2010, the issues with the LS1 stuff breaking seemed to have disappeared as well, unless people were running a set with an older design

Looking over on LS1Tech at what YT customer service did for folks that did experience breakage, I'd run them.
Did I state in my post the specific part numbers that were breaking? I think not. The fact that they had a long run of customers consistently breaking their rockers was enough to convince me to stay away for good. Once again this is all IMO with regards to Yella Terra being garbage. Seems like Dan got butthurt that I bashed his decision on a product and took it personal.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Yell Terra YT6670's are the answer here (assuming you don't go crazy with spring pressure - keep it around 400# open and you'll be fine). If you are a smart shopper, you can score them for under $600. No head modifications or aftermarket PR needed.

Yes, I know about the slight offset issue on the intake, yes, Chris and I are working with Roger Vinci / YT to correct this (they claim it is a head casting variance, and I can't dispute that at this time). My replacements with the corrected offset are being CNC'd as we speak, should be in the States and on my car in a few weeks.
Dan
I had a different experience with these YT's. Had 2 rollers go bad, at the middle of the day we ended up having to mill the rocker stands on the heads for clearance. 625 lift. At the end of the day they were removed and I installed the CHE rockers and all my problems were solved. As far as the warranty goes for the bad tips I had to send them back on my dime and they installed new rollers in the old rockers and I had to pay the return shipping. Good luck with YT, not for me ever again.

Quick Reply: [Z06] No available 'recommended' roller tip rocker?