Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vararam intake repair or replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 PM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vararam intake repair or replacement options

I've got a vararam intake (http://www.vararam.com/vr-sc1r.html) on my '06 Z06. The only other HP-affecting mods are a tune and SS exhaust valves (included some minor head polishing). It makes 480rwhp.

The vararam is slightly warped and the seals don't stay in so well anymore. In addition, the filter gets incredibly dirty, which is apparently because of how low the air pickup is.

I'd really rather not get the car returned, and spending more money on another intake isn't the most appealing option. But I also don't like having to frequently clean the filter and make sure the seal is good (re-gluing it when needed).

What are your suggestions?

If you suggest I get a new intake, do you expect I'll have any problems with my current tune, and what do you suggest I do with my cut shroud?
Old 05-20-2015, 06:28 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,381 Likes on 796 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

If you change intake brands you'll have to replace the shroud so you may want to just get another VR and hope they have improved them. Some on here should know about that, the fitting problems you describe were common at one time. My choice would be Halltech for several reasons, there are a few listed in the FS section. If you buy Halltech email Jim and ask him about the tune.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

The issues you mentioned are exactly why a Vararam only stayed on my C5 for a few weeks - sold it and switched to Callaway.

It's also the reason why I run a Callaway on my CE Z - the last thing I want to worry about is if the air filter is sealing properly.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:53 PM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll probably go with a higher quality intake if I don't need a retune. I'll research some more.

Thanks guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam intake repair or replacement options

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vararam intake repair or replacement options