Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 is ok

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:29 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Z06 is ok

Drove the '07 bone stock Z at freeway speeds for 13 hours today (except for gas/pee breaks) and the pistons/valves all stayed in the holes they started in. Got another 13 hour day tomorrow. I know at 80 mph the tach doesn't even go past 2K rpm, but we need some good news once in awhile, right?
Old 05-27-2015, 01:18 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Interestingly enough, you might do yourself (specifically your engine) a favor and make sure you don't cruise for hours in 6th with the tack around or below 1500 RPMs..

Just one of many possible (but alas probable) theories contributing to our wonderful guide wear issue has to do with fairly high loads at low RPMs, with the engine running on the lean side, as it would be cruising in 6th between 60 and 80'ish.

I try to make it rule that anything under 75'ish gets 5th gear and / or I don't let it lug around or below 1500 RPMs on the freeway at any speed.

Every little bit helps I suppose (or should I say couldn't hurt).

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-27-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:19 AM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

Sounds like my 67yo dad who drove one back from Florida to Fargo, ND a couple months ago. He said his second leg was 20hrs straight. He is an insomniac. I bought it from him a week ago and gave him my C6. It runs good. I hope its okay after reading the previous post!

Did you think you wouldn't make it?

Last edited by SPDKLZ1; 05-27-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 AM
John Pearson
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went from Kansas city to Seattle with no problems. It was not really a fun trip because it was just transporting the car so I could ship it to alaska.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:34 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

just curious. What are you getting for gas mileage?
Old 05-27-2015, 06:07 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by MasterDave
Drove the '07 bone stock Z at freeway speeds for 13 hours today (except for gas/pee breaks) and the pistons/valves all stayed in the holes they started in. Got another 13 hour day tomorrow. I know at 80 mph the tach doesn't even go past 2K rpm, but we need some good news once in awhile, right?
Sure is better than reading I dropped a valve or my heads/valve guides are shot.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 AM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by stefuel
Well, I didn't buy the car for mileage but I averaged 26.8. It helps when traveling thru california where gas is almost double that of arizona.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 AM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Interestingly enough, you might do yourself (specifically your engine) a favor and make sure you don't cruise for hours in 6th with the tack around or below 1500 RPMs..

Just one of many possible (but alas probable) theories contributing to our wonderful guide wear issue has to do with fairly high loads at low RPMs, with the engine running on the lean side, as it would be cruising in 6th between 60 and 80'ish.

I try to make it rule that anything under 75'ish gets 5th gear and / or I don't let it lug around or below 1500 RPMs on the freeway at any speed.

My rule of thumb is not to be in 6th below 60mph, but that is mainly for the big end, not the valves.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:44 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man

That will not affect anything since the engine is producing such a low HP number. The engine produces about 40 HP at part throttle operation to drive the car down the road at that speed and operate all of the accessories. That is roughly 30% of the total energy being consumed by the engine. Wide open throttle at full load and peak HP rpm produces 505 HP which is 30% of the total energy being consumed by the engine at that point. That means there is about 93 HP of waste heat being produced at 80 mph Vs 1178 HP of waste heat being produced at max power operation. It is obvious to the most casual observer that less than 2000 rpm extended operation at 80 mph in cruise does little to bring the temps up close to a danger point. Even if a lean mixture doubles the combustion temperature it doesn't add anywhere near the maximum heat being produced at full power. Now if you are running at 199 mph with the throttle wide open in 5th gear for extended periods of time you might get into a temperature problem.

Bill
Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Good news, yes!!! What a great engine/car, if only GM would have taken care of known issues it would be nearly perfect.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 AM
JonSnow
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going on a 13 hour ride as well. I 'll let you know how I make out
Old 05-27-2015, 11:50 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Any day the LS7 makes it back into the garage unscathed, is a good day
Old 05-27-2015, 12:29 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a great GT car with plenty of luggage space, power, and economy. I always wished for cloth seats though. The fake leather gets so hot and sweaty no matter the temp outside (after several hours of driving). Sticky back, swamp ***, sweaty bawls. Those are the reasons I went 130+ when I had to drive from Dallas to Denver.

If you're wearing shorts you can kind of prop your left leg up and get that AC blowing directly up one leg which helps a little.

I hate leather.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:34 PM
TwoSmoke
Team Owner

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by erichg1000
It's a great GT car with plenty of luggage space, power, and economy. I always wished for cloth seats though. The fake leather gets so hot and sweaty no matter the temp outside (after several hours of driving). Sticky back, swamp ***, sweaty bawls. Those are the reasons I went 130+ when I had to drive from Dallas to Denver.

If you're wearing shorts you can kind of prop your left leg up and get that AC blowing directly up one leg which helps a little.

I hate leather.
Well you just reduced the resale value of your car by a huge margin.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedDriver
Well you just reduced the resale value of your car by a huge margin.
lol.

Well, I actually sold my car a couple weeks ago. It was a sad day.

Now I just hang out to troll MyLastCorvette :p
Old 05-27-2015, 04:52 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That will not affect anything since the engine is producing such a low HP number. The engine produces about 40 HP at part throttle operation to drive the car down the road at that speed and operate all of the accessories. That is roughly 30% of the total energy being consumed by the engine. Wide open throttle at full load and peak HP rpm produces 505 HP which is 30% of the total energy being consumed by the engine at that point. That means there is about 93 HP of waste heat being produced at 80 mph Vs 1178 HP of waste heat being produced at max power operation. It is obvious to the most casual observer that less than 2000 rpm extended operation at 80 mph in cruise does little to bring the temps up close to a danger point. Even if a lean mixture doubles the combustion temperature it doesn't add anywhere near the maximum heat being produced at full power. Now if you are running at 199 mph with the throttle wide open in 5th gear for extended periods of time you might get into a temperature problem.

Bill
If you ever scanned your car while driving, you'd be amazed at the throttle position, ignition timing values (and sometimes KR) when "lugging" these motors in the way I am suggesting.

In many cases, most of our cars spend the VAST majority of their time running freeway and in-town speeds, not racetrack wide open pulls..

Remember Bill, many, many, many Z06's have bad guides that were pampered, street only vehicles.

Who knows, there may be a harmonic component to this as well..
It has at least as much merit of consideration than blaming everything on weak valve springs..

But as others have posted above me, whatever the potential negative outcome may be, it is still (IMO) a bad idea to run the engine at those low RPM's and relatively high loads.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-27-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by stefuel
Well, I didn't buy the car for mileage but I averaged 26.8. It helps when traveling thru california where gas is almost double that of arizona.
I've driven my Z06s ('06 and now '11) many times from CA to VA, IL, or FL. Usually average about 700-800 miles per day for 3 days straight, 12-14 hours at a wack. Never had a problem and the cars have run flawlessly. Got to my destination feeling pretty good. Speaking of gas mileage, I noticed that mine would jump by about 2 MPG after leaving CA and it's crap gas behind. Here's a pic of my average after filling the tank in Kingman, AZ and checking just as I had passed Flagstaff on my way to Gallup, NM enroute to ABQ for the night in Oct 2013. Also you can see the oil pressure is up there so no problems at that RPM as the engine load is very low and no sign of lugging it at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 is ok

Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 PM
MasterDave

Welp, did a 14 hour day yesterday and arrived in Seattle with no issues whatever. Fun car to drive long distances. Not fun to try to drive in the deep asphalt semi truck induced grooves with 13" wide tires tho. I do have Nitto Invo tires (non run-flats) and did not worry about it. They have about 20K on them and still look new.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:28 PM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Welp, did a 14 hour day yesterday and arrived in Seattle with no issues whatever. Fun car to drive long distances. Not fun to try to drive in the deep asphalt semi truck induced grooves with 13" wide tires tho. I do have Nitto Invo tires (non run-flats) and did not worry about it. They have about 20K on them and still look new.
MasterDave, STOP being so positive!!!

Don't you know where you are? This is the Corvette C6 Z06 forum, where positive attitudes, fun and any sustained excitement are forbidden!!!

In all seriousness, nice work, and its good to see another happy C6 Z06 owner, like myself.

Last edited by RobsVette04; 05-28-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:47 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RobsVette04
MasterDave, STOP being so positive!!!

Don't you know where you are? This is the Corvette C6 Z06 forums, where positive attitudes, fun and any sustained excitement are forbidden!!!

In all seriousness, nice work, and its good to see a happy C6 Z06 owner

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-28-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 is ok