Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just lost a vlave in cylinder #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 01:12 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jfreez
The car is up and running. now I just have to bolt all the plastics back on.
we did the non scientific wiggle test and a couple of the exhaust valves had noticeable movement.

I wound up with a Freon leak at the plastic connector where the two metal lines come together. Anybody ever deal with one of these? any advice on replacing this?
As far as charging and clearing the system, I can handle all of that.

BTW, if anybody has their engine out, put in the ZR1 clutch. We did this on my car and the initial test drive felt awesome. I will do a full report after a few hundred miles.
What........No pictures? Seeing is believing. It's not running yet
Old 08-31-2015, 01:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

What are the details on the replacement engine? Details on heads you decided to use on the new engine?
Old 08-31-2015, 01:31 PM
jfreez
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What are the details on the replacement engine? Details on heads you decided to use on the new engine?
Here is the info Chris sent me when he assembled it

New block
New lifters
Used crank, rods and pistons – all of which had been measured and checked out by my local machine shop
New stock piston rings
New stock rod and main bolts
New stock rod and main bearings
New oil pump
Used oil pan and pickup tube
Used front and rear cover
Used valley cover
Two stock LS7 heads with stock titanium intake valves and aftermarket stainless steel exhaust valves, both of which have had a valve job as well as aftermarket bronze valve guides installed
New timing chain and cam gear
New head gaskets
Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

In addition to the new clutch, this is what we installed:
  • Brand new block from GM
  • New lifters
  • Used crank, rods and pistons – all of which had been measured, cleans and inspected by a local machine shop
  • New stock piston rings
  • New stock rod and main bolts
  • New stock rod and main bearings
  • New oil pump
  • Used oil pan and pickup tube
  • Used front and rear cover
  • Used valley cover
  • Two stock LS7 heads with stock titanium intake valves and aftermarket stainless steel exhaust valves, both of which have had a valve job as well as aftermarket bronze valve guides installed by Rex Hutchison Racing Engines in Sacramento
  • New timing chain and cam gear
  • New oil pan gasket
  • New head gaskets
  • New rocker arms
  • New valve springs, seals and locks
  • New spark plugs
Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

New block
New lifters
Used crank, rods and pistons – all of which had been measured and checked out by my local machine shop
New stock piston rings
New oil pump
Used valley cover
Two stock LS7 heads with stock titanium intake valves and aftermarket stainless steel exhaust valves, both of which have had a valve job as well as aftermarket bronze valve guides installed
New head gaskets
Yeah, what he said!

Sorry, I posted this at the same time you did.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:01 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Great news OP..

I know it is asking a bit much, but if you could take a brief (< 10 second) cell phone video wiggling the tip of an exhaust valve with the spring off, that would be very helpful to the CF community.

I am glad you have her up and running - would you care to share the approximate costs?

Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:13 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Great news OP..

I know it is asking a bit much, but if you could take a brief (< 10 second) cell phone video wiggling the tip of an exhaust valve with the spring off, that would be very helpful to the CF community.

I am glad you have her up and running - would you care to share the approximate costs?

Thanks again.
At some point I will take the engine apart,(probably be a few weeks) I don't have a spring compression tool at home, but might be able to come up with one. It is bad enough that you can see it with the springs on.

I don't care if people know what I spent on it, but I will leave that up to Christopher, just because I don't know if he has other negotiations or past jobs to think about when talking about what he charges.

All I will say is I am very happy with the quality and price.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:01 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

At some point I will take the engine apart,(probably be a few weeks) I don't have a spring compression tool at home, but might be able to come up with one. It is bad enough that you can see it with the springs on.

I don't care if people know what I spent on it, but I will leave that up to Christopher, just because I don't know if he has other negotiations or past jobs to think about when talking about what he charges.

All I will say is I am very happy with the quality and price.
Sounds like a plan, and good news it will be back on the road so soon!

..and the whole video of the valve tip moving is more for key vocal CF members' benefit than anything else - we are still looking for that "flying unicorn" head with a failed exhaust valve and in-spec guides. The search continues..

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-31-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

New block
New lifters
New stock piston rings
New oil pump
Used valley cover
New head gaskets
Thanks!!!!

Looks as if you are staying with a stock engine(cam, pistons, heads, rocker arms, etc) other than the solid stem exhaust valves and the bronze guides.

Sure hope that the replacement engine stays together for you with no more problems with the valves destroying it.

Do you pan to keep the car, or dump it? If you are keeping it, what are your plans for further inspections of the heads after you start getting a few thousand miles on them?
Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks!!!!

Looks as if you are staying with a stock engine(cam, pistons, heads, rocker arms, etc) other than the solid stem exhaust valves and the bronze guides.

Sure hope that the replacement engine stays together for you with no more problems with the valves destroying it.

Do you pan to keep the car, or dump it? If you are keeping it, what are your plans for further inspections of the heads after you start getting a few thousand miles on them?
I plan on keeping it for at least a few years, if I get to where I can afford a C7 Z, I might change.
I figure I will have the heads checked at about 10-15K and see how things look, but that will probably take 2-3 years for me. For now I am just going to drive it and enjoy it.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 PM
jitsu10
Instructor

I plan on keeping it for at least a few years, if I get to where I can afford a C7 Z, I might change.
I figure I will have the heads checked at about 10-15K and see how things look, but that will probably take 2-3 years for me. For now I am just going to drive it and enjoy it.
Hope you have better luck with this motor.Sounds like you have a great team around you.Imop i would ditch the ss valves for a lighter coated valve while the heads are off.Good luck with the car.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by stefuel
What........No pictures? Seeing is believing. It's not running yet

Old 09-01-2015, 02:40 AM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Pulled my car out in the driveway this afternoon and a few minutes later I got my OnStar report. It says I am just over due for my 25K service LOL. I think a new engine about covers the service requirements.
I also kicked on the AC to see if I had lost all my freon from the oil I seen around the line. I must have lucked out, because its working great.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:46 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Just recharge it to get it up to parr, simple just get the automatic recharging kits 40 dollars set it to temperature outside and refill.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:54 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Pulled my car out in the driveway this afternoon and a few minutes later I got my OnStar report. It says I am just over due for my 25K service LOL. I think a new engine about covers the service requirements.
I also kicked on the AC to see if I had lost all my freon from the oil I seen around the line. I must have lucked out, because its working great.
You definitely lost some Freon but I had the same thing happen with my black car and as long as it's not actively leaking it seemed to be okay and hold pressure after I topped it up.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:51 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterDave
You most likely need a complete new engine. The dropped valves usually cause the block to crack. Sorry, is that your Z in your avatar?
Old 09-12-2015, 04:01 PM
tarik916
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you are up and running again. Christopher did my LS2 to LS7 conversion in 2010 and my car is still running strong, 46k miles later. The used heads already had valve work done.

Get notified of new replies

To Just lost a vlave in cylinder #1

Old 09-14-2015, 02:58 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

I pulled the heads off this weekend. looks like it was the exhaust valve that broke first, then it took out the intake valve and the piston, now the piston is wedged between the crank counter weight and the block. The block is also broke right next to the sleeve.

On the bright side, I have 200miles on the new engine, and it feels great. the only hick up I have had, was a spark plug wire coming off the other day. The battery problem I had has gone away for now, so I think I have a few months before I need to replace it. That will give me time to figure out if I want to go stock or put in an optima.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

I pulled the heads off this weekend. looks like it was the exhaust valve that broke first, then it took out the intake valve and the piston, now the piston is wedged between the crank counter weight and the block. The block is also broke right next to the sleeve.

On the bright side, I have 200miles on the new engine, and it feels great. the only hick up I have had, was a spark plug wire coming off the other day. The battery problem I had has gone away for now, so I think I have a few months before I need to replace it. That will give me time to figure out if I want to go stock or put in an optima.
Great news on the new motor..

You mind shooting and posting a quick video of one of the other exhaust valves / movement please? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:04 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Great news on the new motor..

You mind shooting and posting a quick video of one of the other exhaust valves / movement please? Thanks!
I just need to learn to post

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just lost a vlave in cylinder #1