Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question on refilling diff and trans fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:30 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Question on refilling diff and trans fluid??

So today I drained the diff and trans fluid in the beast. The steps I took include going for a drive to warm everything up. Once I got home I put the car on stands and let it sit for 15-20 min. I then drained the fluid in the trans and diff and then refilled until the fluid started to drop out of the fill holes.
After refilling both trans/diff and I went for a short drive to get everything warmed up. When I got home I put the car on stands again and removed the fill plugs in the trans and diff thinking I may need to top them off. To my surprise 3-4 ounces came out of both the diff and trans fill holes.
My question is should I have rechecked the fluid while it was still hot/warm?? Was that a mistake? Would it be more accurate to recheck when the car is cold say tomorrow morning??
Everything felt great on the drive after I was done tho. Thanks for any input
Old 08-29-2015, 02:46 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

I think the diff should be fine.. but check both... FWIW I checked my trans warm after a hour long drive and it was full... checked it the next day cold and it took another 1/2 quart or a bit more if that helps you out. My car needed a good 100 miles or so before the Redline D4 fluid worked itself in all the nooks and crannies and shifted nice and smooth..Cooler weather always makes it a bit notchy till it's warmed up. What brand oils did you use?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:51 AM
NVNO1
Pro

So how do you get an accurate fill in the diff and trans? Should it be checked after a drive when it's hot/ warm OR soulf they be checked the next day when the fluids are cold?
Old 08-29-2015, 11:50 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

You don't even need to drive it. Once you fill them, just run the car on jack stands for 2-5 minutes, just enough to get the transmission fluid fully circulated through the cooler. Then check both. Fluids expand when hot, so cool to lukewarm is a good check (except engine oil process which is to get the oil to 175*, then shut down and check 5-20 minutes later). On my engine (09 Z), the difference between engine oil level at 175* at middle hole grows to top hole at 260*.

After you change the dif fluid, make sure you go to a parking lot and do several tight figure-8's to work the new fluid into the dif clutches.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:53 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NVNO1
So how do you get an accurate fill in the diff and trans? Should it be checked after a drive when it's hot/ warm OR soulf they be checked the next day when the fluids are cold?
I check when fluids are cold. Make sure when you jack the car up to fill or check fluids the car is level. Obviously if you had the rear end a little lower than when you filled it the first time fluid is gonna run out.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Was definitely a mistake to check the levels when warm.

If it were my car, it would be back on the jack stands (level), adding both trans and diff fluids until at fill hole, all of this occurring when the fluids are cold.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:31 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Was definitely a mistake to check the levels when warm.

If it were my car, it would be back on the jack stands (level), adding both trans and diff fluids until at fill hole, all of this occurring when the fluids are cold.
thanks guys for the quick replies. This is my afternoon project
Old 08-29-2015, 01:42 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
You don't even need to drive it. Once you fill them, just run the car on jack stands for 2-5 minutes, just enough to get the transmission fluid fully circulated through the cooler. Then check both. Fluids expand when hot, so cool to lukewarm is a good check
After you change the dif fluid, make sure you go to a parking lot and do several tight figure-8's to work the new fluid into the dif clutches.

Run the car through the gears (at simple idle speed) for a couple of minutes, while on the stands.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:50 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Well that's 3 or 4 for checking fluids cold. Easy!
Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
I check when fluids are cold. Make sure when you jack the car up to fill or check fluids the car is level. Obviously if you had the rear end a little lower than when you filled it the first time fluid is gonna run out.
They fill them cold at the factory and the dealer does the same if you have them do a change.

Bill
Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM
NVNO1
Pro

I rechecked the trans and diff the next day before driving the car. It did take a tiny bit more fluid in both the diff and trans. I feel much better about it now. Thanks guys for the tips/advice! Always learning more about my car on the forum. Now onto the C5Z

Get notified of new replies

To Question on refilling diff and trans fluid??

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question on refilling diff and trans fluid??