Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

How much is a c6 z worth that needs a motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 03:18 AM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is a c6 z worth that needs a motor?

I got a hell of a decision to make,I had a small cam and one piece valves and springs done and less than 500 miles later, boom drops a valve ofcourse the speed shop not standing behind this so I'm on my own.from what I can tell it going to be more than 12k to replace the engine and get it back to stock no more anything if i keep it.I've already had a rpm level 3 trans installed (after it wouldn’t go in reverse )a zr1 clutch done at the time.long story short I just had enough so I'm just putting a question out.what's a 2006 z06 worth with out it heart (engine)? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mind n mine; 10-13-2015 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:10 AM
dart.deanda
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Depends?

Originally Posted by mind n mine
I got a hell of a decision to make,I had a small cam and one piece valves and springs done and less than 500 miles later, boom drops a valve ofcourse the speed shop not standing behind this so I'm on my own.from what I can tell it going to be more than 12k to replace the engine and get it back to stock no more anything if i keep it.I've already had a rpm level 3 trans installed (after it wouldn’t go in reverse )a zr1 clutch done at the time.long story short I just had enough so I'm just putting a question out.what's a 2006 z06 worth with out it heart (engine)? Thanks in advance.
What is an 06 Z06 worth with a RPM Stage 3 trans, a ZR1 clutch, and a stock motor with the miles that are on the chassis? Then, subtract 16-18 thousand for motor, installation, loss of numbers matching prestige, and odds and ends... GLWS
Old 10-13-2015, 08:25 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Not to side step your question, but can you share the details of the work done (who did the heads, what parts were used, what cam) and provide a bit more detail about the failure?

Sorry for your loss.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:05 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Not to side step your question, but can you share the details of the work done (who did the heads, what parts were used, what cam) and provide a bit more detail about the failure?

Sorry for your loss.
Ain't that the truth..We all know that we're not guaranteed safety from a valve drop, but surely something was neglected or overlooked in the build process to lead to this. The whole point of working over the heads is to avoid random valve dropping.

Was it random?
Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Send me a PM with what you are looking to get maybe we can work something out.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:42 AM
mind n mine
Intermediate

1.61-Inch Stainless Steel Exhaust Valve, 1 101.99 101.99T
PRC650 Precision Race Component EHT .650" Spring Kit.
These are the components used on my heads,and the cam used was what they call "street grind" the shop was speed inc in Schaumburg il. I'm not interested in starting a fight about this just trying to get info to help me make a decision. I don't race just wanted a bad *** z but now I got paperweight with a balance. If I repair it it's going back to 100% stock engine.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

These are the components used on my heads,and the cam used was what they call "street grind" the shop was speed inc in Schaumburg il. I'm not interested in starting a fight about this just trying to get info to help me make a decision. I don't race just wanted a bad *** z but now I got paperweight with a balance. If I repair it it's going back to 100% stock engine.
How did it drop a valve if they replaced the exh valves?
Old 10-13-2015, 11:54 AM
MikeOC
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

The wording of the original post makes it sound like the valve guides were not replaced.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:14 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I might be interested in your RPM Transmission
Old 10-13-2015, 12:22 PM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZO ZICK
I might be interested in your RPM Transmission
Sorry guys I have no interest in parting out.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:33 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Assuming you can swap an engine yourself, you can slip a used 430hp LS3 in there for about $4K or a new 480hp LS3 from GMPP for $6.4K with a 2 year warranty. You'd actually have about 15hp more, since using the Z06 exhaust system. The crate motor would give you nearly the same power as a stock LS7 without the fear of a dropped valve.

After all, it's a 10 year old car and not a garage queen collector item. Installing a LS7 at twice the price of a crate motor, won't make the car any better to drive or that much more valuable when you decide to sell. I expect the purists will have a hissy, but they're not the ones with a broken car.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 PM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Assuming you can swap an engine yourself, you can slip a used 430hp LS3 in there for about $4K or a new 480hp LS3 from GMPP for $6.4K with a 2 year warranty. You'd actually have about 15hp more, since using the Z06 exhaust system. The crate motor would give you nearly the same power as a stock LS7 without the fear of a dropped valve.

After all, it's a 10 year old car and not a garage queen collector item. Installing a LS7 at twice the price of a crate motor, won't make the car any better to drive or that much more valuable when you decide to sell. I expect the purists will have a hissy, but they're not the ones with a broken car.
I like the ls3 idea,going to look much further into this .thanks
Old 10-13-2015, 01:36 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

I'd consider this route too. If I wanted more power later I'd just get a centrifugal charger for 600-700rwhp on a relatively safe, streetable setup.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Sorry to beat a dead horse.. But did the exhaust valve fail, or spring break, or retainer fail, or?

Stock rockers I assume? Over-rev the motor?

What did the shop have to say?
Old 10-13-2015, 03:22 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
I'd consider this route too. If I wanted more power later I'd just get a centrifugal charger for 600-700rwhp on a relatively safe, streetable setup.
BOOM!!! There you go a supercharged LS3 will make 650-700whp and will be more reliable than a very expensive and unreliable LS7
Old 10-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

the shop was speed inc in Schaumburg il
wow

did you try reaching out to straightline? Many of us have builds from them that have been very reliable.............
Old 10-13-2015, 04:38 PM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Update: I spoke with speed inc he says the push rod was bent due to over revving, we both had to laugh when I said I'm sure you heard this a million times but I didn't over rev it. Truth is I didn't I was in 6th gear about 65 mph,went down to fith and to pass a truck when it failed.but it's my word on a car that has 43,000, 10 from me,then 500 with a cam,then boom. But they are trying to work with me ,somewhat lol.

Get notified of new replies

To How much is a c6 z worth that needs a motor?

Old 10-13-2015, 04:38 PM
mind n mine
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Maligator;1590686496]wow

did you try reaching out to straightline? Many of us have builds from them that have been very reliable.............[/QUOTE
Thanks I'll give them a call.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Update: I spoke with speed inc he says the push rod was bent due to over revving, we both had to laugh when I said I'm sure you heard this a million times but I didn't over rev it. Truth is I didn't I was in 6th gear about 65 mph,went down to fith and to pass a truck when it failed.but it's my word on a car that has 43,000, 10 from me,then 500 with a cam,then boom. But they are trying to work with me ,somewhat lol.
Just FYI Hardened Pushrods dont just "bend" Rev limiter is there for a reason Also dont see how a valve would break and bend a push rod at the same time.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:49 PM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Just FYI Hardened Pushrods dont just "bend" Rev limiter is there for a reason Also dont see how a valve would break and bend a push rod at the same time.
Those are all excellent points, I'm going to ask those questions tomorrow so they can tell me nicely again to jump in a lake.

Quick Reply: How much is a c6 z worth that needs a motor?