Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Possible to quiet down the exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Synacks
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Possible to quiet down the exhaust?

I'm on the verge of buying a 2009 Z06 right now, the only "problem" that it has aftermarket headers and high flow cats. It appears to have the stock catback though.

For many people this wouldn't be a problem but I can't have a car that is insanely loud where I live, and I feel like that combination of exhaust would be pretty darn loud.

Is there anything I can do to quiet it down without losing the power benefits of the headers and cats?
Old 11-29-2015, 12:27 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,380 Likes on 796 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Remove the headers and put the stock system back on. If your stock otherwise you won't lose that much, you could likely trade with someone. You'd need a stock tune also.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I have migrated from the OEM muffs, to PRTs, to what I have now...Borla Touring. I must be in the minority, but I think cars loud as hell belong on the race track, not in residential areas. Plus, I just get tired of the noise when I'm driving. The Touring muffs aren't exactly quiet. Just right to me. Maybe a tad louder than the OEM at idle and WOT. Start up they are quieter than the OE's. No drone whatsoever at any rpm/speed. Well there is a wee bit at about 1600, but it's not the type to give you a headache.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,114 Likes on 591 Posts

Just headers and cats are not going to make the car loud. Lift the passenger side carpet and check to see of the exhaust flap fuse is pulled or an aftermarket switch has been installed.

Don't pull your headers!
The following users liked this post:
JSB Z16 (04-03-2024)
Old 11-29-2015, 03:02 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
Just headers and cats are not going to make the car loud. Lift the passenger side carpet and check to see of the exhaust flap fuse is pulled or an aftermarket switch has been installed.

Don't pull your headers!
this
Old 11-29-2015, 03:18 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

MD, you are not a minority or at least not alone. The days of loud street cars are over for me. You can still be fast AND quiet
Old 11-29-2015, 03:29 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

I have 2" kooks headers and no cats with modded stock 07 mufflers. on the quiet setting its not loud at all, friends dont even hear me pull up. on the loud setting , its loud on the outside of the car, but not so bad on the inside.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Synacks
Racer

I actually ended up buying Fartpipe's red 2009. It has American Racing headers and high flow cats. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ond-in-pa.html

I work at a small building and live in a close residential area and want to avoid letting everyone know every time I start the car up. The car does come with the mild wild switch. Worst comes to worst I'll find some stock cats and call it a day. I'd never remove those headers though!

BTW I just secured the car today and it will be delivered within a week for me to finally purchase. Can't wait.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:33 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy

Don't pull your headers!
Old 12-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

The OEM mufflers have a pretty good (loud) bark at start-up. With the absence of vacuum, the muffler flaps are open, so when it starts, the flaps are open. If you modify the mufflers, the start-up is even louder. This is why I ended up going with the quietest, non-flap type muffler I could find. My neighbors hated me at 5AM. When I had the OEM mufflers (modified), and also when I had the PRTs, my ears would be ringing after a 30-minute high rpm drive.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

Call me an old fart if you like... but quieter is better. I don't like to attract any extra attention when I'm driving. I already seem to be a police magnet.
Maybe I smell like donuts or something...
Old 12-01-2015, 12:24 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Synacks
I actually ended up buying Fartpipe's red 2009. It has American Racing headers and high flow cats. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ond-in-pa.html

I work at a small building and live in a close residential area and want to avoid letting everyone know every time I start the car up. The car does come with the mild wild switch. Worst comes to worst I'll find some stock cats and call it a day. I'd never remove those headers though!

BTW I just secured the car today and it will be delivered within a week for me to finally purchase. Can't wait.

Stock cats will only work if you go back to stock manifolds, so you're stuck unless you want to go completely back to stock.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Synacks
Racer

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Stock cats will only work if you go back to stock manifolds, so you're stuck unless you want to go completely back to stock.
I found out that catted X-pipes were put in. Still has stock catback.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Synacks
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael_D
The OEM mufflers have a pretty good (loud) bark at start-up. With the absence of vacuum, the muffler flaps are open, so when it starts, the flaps are open. If you modify the mufflers, the start-up is even louder. This is why I ended up going with the quietest, non-flap type muffler I could find. My neighbors hated me at 5AM. When I had the OEM mufflers (modified), and also when I had the PRTs, my ears would be ringing after a 30-minute high rpm drive.
So what are the quietest mufflers out there?

Last edited by Synacks; 12-01-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I dont think you're finding anyting quieter and the car has a mild to wild on it. Just flip the switch to closed after the car starts. It'll be super quiet boss
Old 12-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Synacks
Racer

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
I dont think you're finding anyting quieter and the car has a mild to wild on it. Just flip the switch to closed after the car starts. It'll be super quiet boss
You're awesome. How is the car on a cold start though?

BTW it'll be arriving Friday, can't wait man!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Synacks
So what are the quietest mufflers out there?
Aftermarket, the Borla Touring.

But the OEM are probably the quietest, as long as the valves are shut and they have not been 'modyfied'. They have a solenoid that uses engine vacuum to actuate them. So they will be open if the engine is off, and no vacuum present. They close after the engine starts. Now having said that; I'm quite certain that if I were to take the time to screw around with the actuators, I could figure out how to reverse their open/close sequence to fail closed, verse fail open. Heck, somebody probably already has.... I just didn't bother to dig into this, cause I prefer to tone of the Borla Touring muffs I have now.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible to quiet down the exhaust?

Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Synacks
Racer

Thanks guys
Old 12-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

Quiet is also an advantage at some tracks... I'm close to Laguna, but doubt I'd make their new 90db (89?) standard limit.
LG headers, cats, stock mufflers/no mod. The car is quite reasonable, doesn't draw undue attention.
I wrapped the headers to try to damp out some of the ringing, unknown effect. I might try some turn downs on the primary outlets, and wire the solenoid to close with a switch when I'm near the sound station...
Old 12-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Synacks
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Quiet is also an advantage at some tracks... I'm close to Laguna, but doubt I'd make their new 90db (89?) standard limit.
LG headers, cats, stock mufflers/no mod. The car is quite reasonable, doesn't draw undue attention.
I wrapped the headers to try to damp out some of the ringing, unknown effect. I might try some turn downs on the primary outlets, and wire the solenoid to close with a switch when I'm near the sound station...
Sounds to me like headers and stock exhaust works out pretty well.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Possible to quiet down the exhaust?