Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Thanks MTI RACING new personal best

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 AM
sky1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks MTI RACING new personal best

Had a great weekend at RA and turned my best lap of 1.32.6 in the heat of the day with sport cup 2 tires. The car ran flawless all weekend and then drove it home. Looking at the data I know what I need to do to get into the 29's. Thanks to MTI RACING for the track support and coaching from Reese *** the owner, I had a blast!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Old 05-03-2016, 03:12 AM
sky1
Racer

Thanks Dan.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:02 PM
sky1
Racer

Oh yea and it did 161mph down the back stretch before braking for turn 10a. I can't believe how good the new hood and wing work, and the mag ride that I converted into coil overs worked awesome! I have a solo dl data logger and getting the info out of that made me alot better driver.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:43 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry I didn't make it out. Surprise high school track event for my step daughter is the reason. yea yea I know.....
Sounds like you had a blast. How did you handle cresting the hill going into turn 12?
Whew 161 on back straight is not playing. Life changes at that speed.
Congrats man!
Old 05-05-2016, 05:52 PM
sky1
Racer

Thanks, I was doing ok but need to do better thru 12. My data said I was doing around 100mph thru 12 but I need to be 10-15mph faster. Made some big gains, but most of all know what to do to get alot faster. Like I said I know with the right setup I can get into the 29's.
Plus I had fun playing with a modded gtr with a wing and a couple new gt3 rs.

Last edited by sky1; 05-05-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:44 AM
olddragger
Pro

Turn 12 is a very famous turn. I am glad the dip is not there anymore.
I broke that 100 mph barrier and started entering turn 12 at 110 or so by concentrating on looking ahead once I got the cresting the hill line up ok. I was loosing time by not accelerating going down the hill. Too busy settling the chassis and lining it all up. Had to trust the car and not look at the walls. I was appexing too early too.
Turn one was another learning challenge.....but it got to be my favorite turn at RA after I got it.
A few years of driving momentum cars helps. Was able to get in the 1:36 to 1:38 times with almost a 11/1 car. I sure had have to relearn throttle with this platform.
Great job

Last edited by olddragger; 05-06-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:13 PM
sky1
Racer

Your right going up the hill and down thru turn 12 is a challenge, and i'm doing better now thru there but must do better. If you blow it there the concrete wall is the only thing to stop you, ouch! With Reese *** the owner of MTI RACING helping me my learning curve is strait up. That man has a crazy amount of laps there, I think Reese fast lap there at ra is a 1.22 , crazy!
Old 05-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Quicker10u
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nicely done....That's boogeying out there...I have yet to run it with my Z06, but I have run a ton of MX5 Cup laps there...The first few times I came under the bridge and down the hill it took my breath away...And that was in a a car with 180 hp. Hope to see you out there sometime.

Ken
Old 05-08-2016, 04:09 PM
sky1
Racer

Thanks Ken, yea I am still in awe of that down hill drop and corner.
Got a video of one of my sessions,please excuse have not had time to edit it yet,but my fast lap starts at 7min mark if you want to just watch it. Hope everyone likes it

Old 05-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Nice lines, good engine and equipment management (didn't tac out to 7,200 on the back straight for no good reason), smooth inputs, and the best part, waxing the over-powered VW Beetle.

All around great job!
Old 05-08-2016, 06:38 PM
sky1
Racer

Thanks alot Dan, I try to shift around 6500 to keep the heat and wear down on the motor.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Quicker10u
Advanced

Originally Posted by sky1
Thanks alot Dan, I try to shift around 6500 to keep the heat and wear down on the motor.
Same for me. I Iiked your video on YouTube. I have some of mine on there as well as Adamsk97. I think there might be a little more time in 6 as the banking gives more grip then you might think. You know how slick it is putting down the power in 7. On your best lap carried more speed through the esses and the short chute from 5-6. Nicely done!

Ken
Old 05-09-2016, 08:05 AM
olddragger
Pro

Things happen quickly doesn't it!
If I may ?
Try getting into 5th gear before turn 12. My reasoning is this.
The higher the rpms of your engine as you approach a turn makes the engine more capable of upsetting the chassis during acceleration AND most importively for that turn, deceleration!
You can get the dreaded lift throttle oversteer tendency muche easier with the higher rpms and even if you are just breathing off the throttle approaching turn 12 that can be bad.
With the torque we have available you will find the speed going down the front straight will not be affected if you short shift into 5th after you crease the hill. Down shift to 4th approaching turn 1
Concentrate of improving one turn only per session.
Are you running r compound tires? I am assuming you are?
If so you can enter turn one at 100-- 105 easily! It's a beatiful turn , it catches you like a roller coaster. Approach a little wider and apex a little later.
That turn has won or lost many a race. Two ways of doing it ... Enter slow and accellerate a lot, or enter fast ( triple digits) and accelerate more slowly, either way you have to jump the curb at the top to line up for the next turn
Be careful of the esses! I have seen more crashes there than anywhere.
You do have a full roll cage??
If not don't worry a bout getting any faster .... Just enjoy man.
You are pretty smooth, work on downshifting, straightening out the track more and exploring other lines....like not going so far inside as you crest the hill approaching 12.
Don't mean to be critical or a know it all...I just have been running that track since the first
Panoz days and trying to share a little stuff I have learned.
Sweet ride... Level headed driver and you are going to have a blast man!

Last edited by olddragger; 05-09-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 AM
sky1
Racer

Thanks olddragger, I agree I know I can drop my time by doing better from 12 thru turn 1. I am going to try those things you suggested next time I go. I have Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and no I don't have a cage. I have full race seats with a harness bar and 6pt belts,but no cage. I am looking into adding some safety in the near future,but have to be careful as its still a street car not a full race car( I drove it home afterwards,lol) I am NOT to good to take advice just want to be a better driver,I am sure someone like Reese *** (owner of MTI) could go faster in my car cause he has logged crazy amount of miles at RA,and I know there is more there in the car,its just me catching up to the ability of the car. Like you said the main thing is I was having a blast. Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 12:42 PM
olddragger
Pro

thanks sky--totally agree --with out a full cage no need in going any faster. Relax and have fun. Just be smooth and fast will come on its own. I sure enjoyed the video....thank you for that. nice set up and your car sure sounds sweet.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

I resisted chiming in again, but a few posts later I feel the mood has changed in the direction I wanted to take it, which is;

Track days are not race events, there are no winners or losers, no trophies or hot (hopefully) women presenting them.

The unfortunate reality is these are (relatively) heavy cars, especially when you consider the weight to grip ratio. Momentum is a biotch, and when it goes, you may or may not be able to save it (we've all seen the videos).

Especially at a track like Road Atlanta, little run off, lots of walls, it's the last place I would encourage someone to continue to push until they hit the ragged edge.

I am fairly sure S.'s attitude is one of "the most successful track days I ever had were the ones I drove home from", and in that context he's going quicker than most of his peers and bringing it home in one piece, which is just how I like it.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-09-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Quicker10u
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I resisted chiming in again, but a few posts later I feel the mood has changed in the direction I wanted to take it, which is;

Track days are not race events, there are no winners or losers, no trophies or hot (hopefully) women presenting them.

The unfortunate reality is these are (relatively) heavy cars, especially when you consider the weight to grip ratio. Momentum is a biotch, and when it goes, you may or may not be able to save it (we've all seen the videos).

Especially at a track like Road Atlanta, little run off, lots of walls, it's the last place I would encourage someone to continue to push until they hit the ragged edge.

I am fairly sure S.'s attitude is one of "the most successful track days I ever had were the ones I drove home from", and in that context he's going quicker than most of his peers and bringing it home in one piece, which is just how I like it.

I am all about bringing it home in once piece, but the thread title is 'new personal best' meaning that he is pushing and trying to improve. If people who have done hundreds, if not thousands of laps around Road Atlanta want to give him tips to become faster, don't make us seem as if we are encouraging recklessness. In fact it's the opposite. We all know the inherent risks of what we do the moment we set tire to racetrack.

Ken
Old 05-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Quicker10u
I am all about bringing it home in once piece, but the thread title is 'new personal best' meaning that he is pushing and trying to improve. If people who have done hundreds, if not thousands of laps around Road Atlanta want to give him tips to become faster, don't make us seem as if we are encouraging recklessness. In fact it's the opposite. We all know the inherent risks of what we do the moment we set tire to racetrack.

Ken
Point taken and a fair reply, and I am speaking from personal experience (plenty of laps at RA and many other tracks on this and the Left coast) as well as I'm sure you are.

Probably more about my personal hang-up of going through 12 on a two wheel Superbike more than anything else..

So allow me re-phrase my advice - haul-a$$ everywhere but 12, lose a bunch of time there bringing it home in one piece.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-10-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thanks MTI RACING new personal best

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thanks MTI RACING new personal best