Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Possible New Wheel Design.. Collaboration with our fellow Corvette enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:01 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Possible New Wheel Design.. Collaboration with our fellow Corvette enthusiasts

We are excited to announce our recent wheel project which is fully focused on the Corvette chassis. Being part of the automobile wheel industry for over 15 years has given our team many amazing experiences and also the chance to work with many different yet awesome enthusiasts. Our mission, our goal is to translate all of our experiences and knowledge into a specifically designed and manufactured wheel for our fellow Corvette owners/enthusiasts.

Construction wise we have plans to produce a spun forged construction which will reduce unsprung weight and also increase the strength. We will design the wheel specifically around the Corvette platform to ensure it is hub-centric and also is able to clear the larger brake calipers without any spacers or adapters. We will also be working very closely with the engineers in the designing process to achieve as deep of a concave as possible.

We are currently presenting four different styles that we would use as just a starting point or inspiration to create a new design. Our intention is not to produce a replica wheel, however we truly think that that these four styles are some of the nicest designs that Corvette engineers and designers have created. With all due respect, we would like to use those current designs as "inspirations" for the new wheels we will create together with the Corvette community.

Technical Highlights

- Exclusively Designed for the Chevy Corvette Platform
- Spun Forged Technology
- Reduce unsprung weight and increase strength over cast wheels
- Hub-centric design
- Compatible with factory center caps

We look forward in receiving the feedback of the community in which style you would like to see us use as a starting inspirational point. Thank you in advance. =)

Style 1 Multi-Spoke Design

Style 2 Mesh Design

Style 3 Split 5 Spoke Design

Style 4 5 Spoke Design

Email: osvic@n4sm.com | Phone: 818-547-5474 Cell: 323-440-3532
438 W Cypress St. Glendale, CA 91204 Website: www.n4sm.com www.Project6GR.com

Last edited by need4speedmotors; 08-16-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

So you're going to make high quality reproductions of GM designs? The GM wheels are already pretty lightweight, strong and affordable. Perhaps I missed what you're suggesting?
The following users liked this post:
need4speedmotors (08-17-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 11:35 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I think they are looking for a starting point.

I love my stock wheels (ZR-1 pattern), I suppose the C7 Z wheels would be next. Even though I own a set of Cup wheels (track tires) they are a "fail" in the beauty department, and the GS wheels -

IMO, the best looking wheels I've ever seen on our cars are the (IIRC) BBS racing wheels on the race cars, which are somewhat similar to the ZR-1 design (this may not be too helpful, as I realize there have been multiple designs used over the years).

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-16-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:57 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Spyders look so much nicer than GS wheels.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 AM
Z2Z
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I really like spyders and would get a set if they were available in 18/19.

I'd also really like to see a simple 6 spoke design similar to VOLK TE-37's. Just please don't make a direct copy. There are enough fake VOLK wheels out there already.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Tech
So you're going to make high quality reproductions of GM designs? The GM wheels are already pretty lightweight, strong and affordable. Perhaps I missed what you're suggesting?
Thank you sir, but we are in no way trying to built a replica of any sort, these are just the well know Corvette wheels, we would like to built a set up that all members can join in with us as options, colors, sizes..

We would love to see and hear back from everyone..

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I think they are looking for a starting point.

I love my stock wheels (ZR-1 pattern), I suppose the C7 Z wheels would be next. Even though I own a set of Cup wheels (track tires) they are a "fail" in the beauty department, and the GS wheels -

IMO, the best looking wheels I've ever seen on our cars are the (IIRC) BBS racing wheels on the race cars, which are somewhat similar to the ZR-1 design (this may not be too helpful, as I realize there have been multiple designs used over the years).
Thank you, we where like you mention sir a starting point first steps to start the thread and having everyone join ideas together.

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Spyders look so much nicer than GS wheels.
Thank you,
Originally Posted by Z2Z
I really like spyders and would get a set if they were available in 18/19.

I'd also really like to see a simple 6 spoke design similar to VOLK TE-37's. Just please don't make a direct copy. There are enough fake VOLK wheels out there already.
Thank you for the feed back a 6 spoke design is not bad idea, Love the Volk TE37 which i currently have on my 98' Toyota Supra TT but like you mention there is to many fakes heavy cast wheels out there already..

What about a 6 Spoke Deep Concave Front & Deep Concave Rear?

We have currently just developed a 7 Spoke Design for the Mustang Community which was intended for Ford Mustang GT350.

Here are the links to see what so far we have developed with everyone

Website
https://project6gr.com/

Where and how it was born: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36511
Old 08-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Tech
Safety Car

I just did quite a bit of shopping of other forged wheel manufacturers. Many of the designs are copies from one manufacturer to another. I really liked the spyder-like and split 8-spoke versions (more like ZR1) in both dished and concave. The problem is, everyone makes them. So it really comes down to price, quality, availability and, for me, the stability of the company making them. FAAARRRRR too many wheel manufacturers come and go in the night. For someone that is spending big money on wheels, they need to know that if a wheel is damaged in a year or two or five, they can get a replacement. All of the wheel companies that ultimately failed, told their customers there was nothing to worry about.

Anybody can make a wheel.. give a few away at cost.. take some pretty pictures.. and get orders. Far fewer companies can meet demand, provide a quality product and make good financial decisions. In my opinion, THOSE are the things that would make me personally want to buy an expensive set of wheels.

To answer your question... the best looking wheels for a widebody C6 are the HRE P40SC in brushed tinted clear. HRE makes a more affordable flow-forged version of it, but they only make them in base C6 styles. Some wide-body versions of those would be a good starting point from my POV.

Last edited by Tech; 08-17-2016 at 03:13 PM.
need4speedmotors (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

To answer your question... the best looking wheels for a widebody C6 are the HRE P40SC in brushed tinted clear. HRE makes a more affordable flow-forged version of it, but they only make them in base C6 styles. Some wide-body versions of those would be a good starting point from my POV.
I like that pattern as well.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

d make me personally want to buy an expensive set of wheels.

I love that wheel!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:04 AM
carlvr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been following your 350R wheel project from inception. You guys killed it! Great job! Glad you are now focusing on Corvettes.. I think weight savings should be of paramount importance! Do you think you will be able to keep the weight of the wheels at or below those of the OEM Speedline wheels?

If you ask me, the original C6Z06 5 spoke wheels which were very light would look awesome with some some serious concavity and some minor design tweaks.. When you remove the center hub on those wheels, you can see some serious design potential there.. Also, the spyder wheels will look 100x better with more concavity.. I personally cannot imagine the mesh and miltispke oem designs ever looking too aggressive but still interested to see how that goes for you. I do know there are a lot of them showing up on ebay as original takeoffs.. Have you thought about the Z28 style wheel as an inspiration for the corvette offsets? I think those wheels also have some serious potential especially on a Corvette!

Last edited by carlvr; 08-18-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

I just did quite a bit of shopping of other forged wheel manufacturers. Many of the designs are copies from one manufacturer to another. I really liked the spyder-like and split 8-spoke versions (more like ZR1) in both dished and concave. The problem is, everyone makes them. So it really comes down to price, quality, availability and, for me, the stability of the company making them. FAAARRRRR too many wheel manufacturers come and go in the night. For someone that is spending big money on wheels, they need to know that if a wheel is damaged in a year or two or five, they can get a replacement. All of the wheel companies that ultimately failed, told their customers there was nothing to worry about.

Anybody can make a wheel.. give a few away at cost.. take some pretty pictures.. and get orders. Far fewer companies can meet demand, provide a quality product and make good financial decisions. In my opinion, THOSE are the things that would make me personally want to buy an expensive set of wheels.

Those HRE P40SC are one the nicest from HRE for a Vette, We been working with many manufacture to develop some nice wheel for other companies and model of vehicle such as the Camaro Z28 wheels, Ford Mustang Design. We been having great result so its the reason why we want to bring something any corvette member would love. Pricing, Quality and Availability we are completely aware of that's why we rather take our time and do it the correct way the first time... We really do appreciate the info and thoughts.

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I like that pattern as well.
Thank you for the thoughts sir,

Originally Posted by Da Z06
I love that wheel!

Originally Posted by carlvr
I have been following your 350R wheel project from inception. You guys killed it! Great job! Glad you are now focusing on Corvettes.. I think weight savings should be of paramount importance! Do you think you will be able to keep the weight of the wheels at or below those of the OEM Speedline wheels?

If you ask me, the original C6Z06 5 spoke wheels which were very light would look awesome with some some serious concavity and some minor design tweaks.. When you remove the center hub on those wheels, you can see some serious design potential there.. Also, the spyder wheels will look 100x better with more concavity.. I personally cannot imagine the mesh and miltispke oem designs ever looking too aggressive but still interested to see how that goes for you. I do know there are a lot of them showing up on ebay as original takeoffs.. Have you thought about the Z28 style wheel as an inspiration for the corvette offsets? I think those wheels also have some serious potential especially on a Corvette!
Thank you for the reply and thank you for following of the 350R, we have been working with the Mustang community and have had success not with one but two models products for them, and also the Camaro Z28 wheels.

We will take everyone's opinion and thoughts to produce a light weight spun forged wheels with the most possible concavity in mind...

Old 08-19-2016, 12:40 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Make the price reasonable 1500 ish and make them in 18/18 and the track guys like myself will buy them up. As far as the style- c7r above is nice.
need4speedmotors (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Tech
Safety Car

$1500 is pretty cheap for any kind of forged wheel. I think that's a bit optimistic but you're right, they'd sell a ton if they could pull it off.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:09 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

$1500 is pretty cheap for any kind of forged wheel. I think that's a bit optimistic but you're right, they'd sell a ton if they could pull it off.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:08 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Make the price reasonable 1500 ish and make them in 18/18 and the track guys like myself will buy them up. As far as the style- c7r above is nice.
We have been thinking in hit the target for a Rotary Forged set up in 18x10 & 18x12 or 18x10 & 19x12, keep in mind most Vette owners might like to be able to use their OEM Tires

Thank you for the reply and opinion

Last edited by need4speedmotors; 08-20-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:15 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

In the 18/18 set up I would pony up for 2k. I guess it depends on the profit margin. Lots of sets selling vs a few sets moving at a higher price point. C5 and c6 are old platforms and are being used for many different things.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:16 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by c5racr1
In the 18/18 set up I would pony up for 2k. I guess it depends on the profit margin. Lots of sets selling vs a few sets moving at a higher price point. C5 and c6 are old platforms and are being used for many different things.
Older Corvettes will be added in the near future for the moment moment only C6 Z06/GS/ZR1 will be the target for the street/Track or Shows.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible New Wheel Design.. Collaboration with our fellow Corvette enthusiasts

Old 08-22-2016, 07:22 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

The HRE P40SC is iconic. I love it, but at more than $7000 for a set, not likely that I will be pounding them on the track. They also are only available in 19", 20" and 21". HRE makes a quality product, but their market is more of the well heeled cars & coffee set.

A quality 18x10, 18x12.5 and 19x12.5 would cover a lot of bases. Guys like me wanting a set of track wheels would go with 18/18 setup and more street oriented guys would opt for the 18/19 combination.

How hard is it to put a knurled bead on it? Just go ahead and make them all with this feature. (Can you knurl existing wheels?)

Weight and strength are really important. For reference the C6 Z06 split 5-spoke is 21.5 lbs front and 26 lbs rear.

If I could wave a magic wand and have any wheel on my Z06 what would it be? The Volk Racing ZE 40 in 18/18 Matt Blue Gunmetal to go with my Atomic Orange Z, and a set of 18/19 Dark Diamond Gunmetal for the street. For reference, an 18x9.5 concave ZE40 weighs 19.5 lbs. These wheels are net shape forged meaning the spokes and most of the barrel are formed in a single forging operation, then the barrel and bead lips are finished by cold roll forming. Volk Racing forged are about as strong as you can get and very light. They also come standard with knurled bead seats. Not exactly a cheap wheel but at ~$800 to $900.00 each, represents a bargain for the weekend track warrior with a BMW, GTR, BRZ, etc. Anything but a Corvette.

Group buy anyone?

need4speedmotors (08-23-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Z2Z
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
The HRE P40SC is iconic. I love it, but at more than $7000 for a set, not likely that I will be pounding them on the track. They also are only available in 19", 20" and 21". HRE makes a quality product, but their market is more of the well heeled cars & coffee set.

A quality 18x10, 18x12.5 and 19x12.5 would cover a lot of bases. Guys like me wanting a set of track wheels would go with 18/18 setup and more street oriented guys would opt for the 18/19 combination.

How hard is it to put a knurled bead on it? Just go ahead and make them all with this feature. (Can you knurl existing wheels?)

Weight and strength are really important. For reference the C6 Z06 split 5-spoke is 21.5 lbs front and 26 lbs rear.

If I could wave a magic wand and have any wheel on my Z06 what would it be? The Volk Racing ZE 40 in 18/18 Matt Blue Gunmetal to go with my Atomic Orange Z, and a set of 18/19 Dark Diamond Gunmetal for the street. For reference, an 18x9.5 concave ZE40 weighs 19.5 lbs. These wheels are net shape forged meaning the spokes and most of the barrel are formed in a single forging operation, then the barrel and bead lips are finished by cold roll forming. Volk Racing forged are about as strong as you can get and very light. They also come standard with knurled bead seats. Not exactly a cheap wheel but at ~$800 to $900.00 each, represents a bargain for the weekend track warrior with a BMW, GTR, BRZ, etc. Anything but a Corvette.

Group buy anyone?

I'm right there with you. I love VOLK wheels. I'd be interested in a group by for sure. But, I'd really prefer CE28s.

need4speedmotors (08-23-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:12 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

[QUOTE=Z2Z;1592903939]I'm right there with you. I love VOLK wheels. I'd be interested in a group by for sure. But, I'd really prefer CE28s.

The CE28 is a fantastic wheel. Unfortunately the rim width maxes out at 10.5 inches. In the ZE40 18 inch diameter, the rim width is available in 12 inches, so there is at least a chance of getting a correct fit provided the manufacturer will cut the right offset, bolt pattern and hub diameter.
Z2Z (08-22-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Possible New Wheel Design.. Collaboration with our fellow Corvette enthusiasts