Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mamo Motorsports Build: MMS Heads, Solid Roller, MSD, Factory Shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
The emblems were made by our friends in Jyna. I bought them on eBay for $9.95 for the set....or 4 million yen.
I "heard" Donald Trump say that as I read your post.....LOL

(Me and a buddy always got a kick out of his pronunciation of that one word!)

How is the quality....got any up close pics?

I would have you email me but this thread has soooo much in it what's another small derailment in hood emblems.....LOL

Also guys....a 454 is only 6% larger than a 427....some of you were acting like it will have the newfound appetite of Godzilla right after he woke up (and directly before he ate Japan....LOL).

This isn't a 500+ cubic inch tall-deck smallblock....the move to 454 CID is not going to effect parts requirements (and peak numbers) much if any.....it will fatten (and flatten) the usable torque curve....it will add to peak torque....it will improve throttle response even more....and it will "hit" a little harder from a roll when you mash the throttle. It will make the choice of tires certainly more of a consideration with the extra midrange grunt wanting to spin even easier. When the smoke clears the best thing it will do is give Josh more of the "goodness" he was looking for in the combination he was/is aiming to build...this isn't a game changer...its a nice upgrade to an already good plan we had in place.

Is it a good value?....that can be argued but at this level good value becomes increasingly more difficult to find (aka getting non existent)....everything from here moving forward is big money for small moves on power assuming we are staying naturally aspirated which IMO is the perfect style engine in a sports car this light. Keeping in mind Josh can sell his stock shortblock for a decent buck its not that bad a play looking at cost versus gains (and keeping in mind the other perks not just associated with peak numbers). It will make a 3000 lb car feel like its 2800 lbs and that's a good thing.

We will likely uptick the cam some (a few degrees to help feed the slightly larger appetite of the 454), so if any of you are thinking about working with me in the future on a similar SR set-up (that's stock displacement), you may want to PM Josh for a deal on a new cam that's better suited to moderately aggressive combination that is 427 cubic inches!

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-12-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:17 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
I "heard" Donald Trump say that as I read your post.....LOL

(Me and a buddy always got a kick out of his pronunciation of thabt one word!)

How is the quality....got any up close pics?

I would have you email me but this thread has soooo much in it what's another small derailment in hood emblems.....LOL

Also guys....a 454 is only 6% larger than a 427....some of you were acting like it will have the newfound appetite of Godzilla right after he woke up (and directly before he ate Japan....LOL).

This isn't a 500+ cubic inch tall-deck smallblock....the move to 454 CID is not going to effect parts requirements (and peak numbers) much if any.....it will fatten (and flatten) the usable torque curve....it will add to peak torque....it will improve throttle response even more....and it will "hit" a little harder from a roll when you mash the throttle. It will make the choice of tires certainly more of a consideration with the extra midrange grunt wanting to spin even easier. When the smoke clears the best thing it will do is give Josh more of the "goodness" he was looking for in the combination he was/is aiming to build...this isn't a game changer...its a nice upgrade to an already good plan we had in place.

Is it a good value?....that can be argued but at this level good value becomes increasingly more difficult to find (aka getting non existent)....everything from here moving forward is big money for small moves on power assuming we are staying naturally aspirated which IMO is the perfect style engine in a sports car this light. Keeping in mind Josh can sell his stock shortblock for a decent buck its not that bad a play looking at cost versus gains (and keeping in mind the other perks not just associated with peak numbers). It will make a 3000 lb car feel like its 2800 lbs and that's a good thing.

We will likely uptick the cam some (a few degrees to help feed the slightly larger appetite of the 454), so if any of you are thinking about working with me in the future on a similar SR set-up (that's stock displacement), you may want to PM Josh for a deal on a new cam that's better suited to moderately aggressive combination that is 427 cubic inches!

Cheers,
Tony
Tony, you really drove the nail in with one swing. There is just so much to consider with an N/A build in a street car. I'm very excited with the ERL 454 and I can't wait to assembly it all and get this thing on the dyno. The new cam will be awesome, just what the larger engine needs. I think this bottom end will enhance every goal we set out to achieve. ERL is at the top of a handful of shops I would even consider purchasing a short block from. I think their one person one engine approach to engine assembly is very similar to the LS7 assembly and those kinds of details mean a great deal to me.

I picked up another go fast part today since the driveline is being dropped out....a DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft. 99% for shift feel, 1% for performance. Like you already wrote, I am adding lightness and adding torque. I think the days of my 345 MPSS's being able to hook a 40 roll in 2nd gear are long gone

Josh

Last edited by Josh B.; 01-12-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Looks good, Josh. I especially like the yellow Bilsteins with your yellow paint. I bet you'd have to pay $1342 to get the color coordinated shock option on a Porch!
The following users liked this post:
jetpowr (01-19-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Josh,

Coming along nicely . Could you please share the part numbers on those Blistein shocks/struts?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Da Z06
Josh,

Coming along nicely . Could you please share the part numbers on those Blistein shocks/struts?

Thanks!
Thanks man. The ERL bottom end is somewhere in Texas and will be delivered to Pensacola, FL on the 16th.

Here is the information you asked for regarding the Bilsteins. They are Doug Rippie Motorsports (DRM) valved Bilsteins for the C6Z. I bought the optional Poly bushings.

http://dougrippie.com/products/c6-co...hocks-for-c6z/

DRMs are amazing quality and return for the dollar, got to love an American company that can put their custom valving into an already great shock absorber and everyone wins. Kind of similar to Tony's products if you ask me. The TFS 260 is pretty darn good for what it is, then Tony really perfected the already great platform. The DRM's rank very high on the parts I recommend for ALL C6Z Corvettes, regardless of how "stock" the owner intends to keep the car, (e.g. MGW shifter).

Awesome American engineering from the Red White and Blue.

Last edited by Josh B.; 01-12-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Da Z06 (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Looks good, Josh. I especially like the yellow Bilsteins with your yellow paint. I bet you'd have to pay $1342 to get the color coordinated shock option on a Porch!
Thanks Dave. I remember reading how insanely expensive some of Porsche's options are. You ain't kidding. I don't even want to know how much the "GULF" decal package costs on the GT3RS. Some expensive stickers.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:35 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Thanks Tony. These were the highest quality emblems I could locate, I'm not sure if the general makes a "new" 454 emblem like the new 427 emblems.
I've only ever seen official GM 454 logos that are separate (individual) 4-5-4 emblems.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Default My name is ERL

Ive received some awesome presents from brown truck Santa before....but this one raises the bar

dmartens (06-18-2018)
Old 01-16-2017, 08:17 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Warning: immense power inside the box!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:57 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

WARNING:

Horsepower can cause serious side effects. Reported side effects include:

an erection that will not go away (priapism). If you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, get medical help right away.
If it is not treated right away, priapism can permanently damage your *****

sudden vision loss in one or both eyes. Sudden vision loss in one or both eyes can be a sign of a serious eye problem called
non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION). Stop making more horsepower and call your healthcare provider right away if you
have any sudden vision loss
Josh B. (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

My 454 before it decided to leave home and head east (for a short period time!)

I figure if I ever get tired of messing with engines I could always get into crate building.....LOL (I'm too OCD for my own good most of the time!)

Name:  20170110_020433.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  5.42 MB

Name:  20170110_020342.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  4.68 MB
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
Josh B. (01-17-2017), RGT (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:24 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
My 454 before it decided to leave home and head east (for a short period time!)

I figure if I ever get tired of messing with engines I could always get into crate building.....LOL (I'm too OCD for my own good most of the time!)

I really appreciate the extra effort you put into packaging the shortblock. Pictures don't do that crate justice. Most wood work is just "close enough". I don't think "close enough" is in Tony's vocabulary. The edges were totally flush. The screws were put in symmetrically. (4x3). The overall dims were precise to the ERL plastic tub. A lucky buyer will get that badboy with my stock bottom end LS7.

Also, your shop kicks azz Tony. I hope to check it out this summer when I move to CA!

Old 01-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Default Holley Valve Covers

Tony is pretty busy this week so we haven't gotten the new cam specs finalized yet, the heads are close to being completed. Now that I have the final piston to deck distances I will order some .040" Cometics for the larger bores of the 454.posted a few weight scale screen shots that will combine to drop around 70 lbs from my previous combination.
In my quest for added lightness...Holley valve covers are VERY similar in execution to the OEM VCs. This will ensure a proper seal with the OEM gasket (or the YT gasket spacers if more clearance is needed). I'll be relying on the OEM baffles to draw vacuum with the GZ Motorsports vacuum pump. The Holleys are replacing the Katech VCs (10.5 lbs w/coil brackets), so their 5.8lb total weight is a very impressive weight loss given their DIY budget build price.

Here are some pictures. Only $169. A great value for a bit of weight loss, and some style.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:05 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

I just listed my stock bottom end for sale in the C6 Parts forum. Please check it out:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593905046

This rare and brand newish Mamofied shipping crate could be YOURS! lol
Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

So some of the guys dealing with me already know that I have been patiently waiting for my custom made lightweight intake valves to be delivered (it was a painful three plus month delay).

Knowing my hands were tied and I couldn't do much about the delay I decided to make that time more worthwhile by finding the time to work on a CNC program to face and engrave the ends of my MMS 265 LS7 heads. There were some unexpected silly issues along the way (mainly related to positioning, sizing, and getting the right finish on the end pad etc.), but Im really pleased with the results. All the guys that have been waiting will receive the MMS logo on the endpad now and the quality is just outstanding....it really pops. Honestly its almost too nice....it would show a light scratch from a dirty microfiber towel but it looked so good I couldn't make it "grainier" on purpose.

I also engraved the MMS 265 up top which I thought looked pretty good up and out of the way and utilizing the tall real estate there, as well as being a functional tool here because my Mamo Motorsports LS3 heads would look the exact same....just show an MMS 260 now on the end pad making both of them easier to identify at a glance here in the shop.

Have to thank Josh who let me keep his heads here longer than he wanted so I could get them engraved (I really wanted the engraved version as part of his build)....Josh I swear your two castings are mixed in that upper shelf....LOL....just need to finish the exhaust work we discussed and mill them for the additional compression!

Name:  20170119_232145_resized.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  1.45 MB

The heads that still say TFS have yet to be engraved still....I took the oldest and hottest jobs to the CNC first to get those handled ASAP...the next wave of castings gets done next week

Here is a close up to get a better idea of the finish and the logo up close and personal. If you hit them with mothers one quick pass they would really glow. We used a 12" single point cutter for the finish pass after struggling with a smaller multi point cutter that needed two passes. Its an extra step....costs more time (and money), but the results were worth it!

Name:  20170119_231752_resized.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  1,017.6 KB

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-20-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Looking good Tony! Any progress with your dyno cell? That CNC logo looks familiar.

Last edited by Brandon619; 01-20-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Looks good Tony!

Get notified of new replies

To Mamo Motorsports Build: MMS Heads, Solid Roller, MSD, Factory Shortblock

Old 01-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Looks awesome Tony. The setup for your logo was undoubtedly a major headache from a logistical standpoint (I was a logistics officer in the Marines...). The final product is awesome, a fitting way to top off your amazing product. I'm very proud to say I have a set of MMS 265B's (B for Josh B. valve job ). In a marketplace where various vendors compete to protect their brand and their products, I totally respect the time delay for this extra work. I'm very proud to have "MMS" visible under my hood!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

MMS=Might Mouse Solutions when I see that Either way both great companies.

Heads look great.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Tony is pretty busy this week so we haven't gotten the new cam specs finalized yet, the heads are close to being completed. Now that I have the final piston to deck distances I will order some .040" Cometics for the larger bores of the 454.posted a few weight scale screen shots that will combine to drop around 70 lbs from my previous combination.
In my quest for added lightness...Holley valve covers are VERY similar in execution to the OEM VCs. This will ensure a proper seal with the OEM gasket (or the YT gasket spacers if more clearance is needed). I'll be relying on the OEM baffles to draw vacuum with the GZ Motorsports vacuum pump. The Holleys are replacing the Katech VCs (10.5 lbs w/coil brackets), so their 5.8lb total weight is a very impressive weight loss given their DIY budget build price.

Here are some pictures. Only $169. A great value for a bit of weight loss, and some style.
No love for the new LME valve covers? Don't know if they will lighten up the car but they will sure as hell lighten your wallet They do look good though.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mamo Motorsports Build: MMS Heads, Solid Roller, MSD, Factory Shortblock