Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Please show your custom Nav headunits

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 03:44 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Default Please show your custom Nav headunits

Considering upgrading to a new aftermarket head unit to replace the factory nav/stereo.

Would like to see some options and hear what you paid.

Also, please mention if there are any downsides.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Z2Z
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a guy on here that installed an awesome Android head unit. He usually chimes in on these sort of things. He has a link to the very well written thread that he made when he put it in.

I installed one using his thread and will never go back. I put one in my truck too.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:53 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks good, but "Joying"??
Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Z2Z
There is a guy on here that installed an awesome Android head unit. He usually chimes in on these sort of things. He has a link to the very well written thread that he made when he put it in.

I installed one using his thread and will never go back. I put one in my truck too.
Thanks! Glad to hear it. Looks great in both of your vehicles. Indeed, I replied to a similar thread just the other day:
Originally Posted by bjmsam
I replaced my OEM HU with an Android HU two years ago. Navigation is terrific, and the ability to run apps like Torque and DashCommand (and Chrome, and Gmail, and Fuelly, and...) makes my '07 feel like a '16. I will never again consider a traditional HU for any of my vehicles!

I changed only the head unit. Other models are available with slightly larger screens but I prefer ***** and the stock-like appearance of this one. I did the installation myself and discovered later that professional installation would have been quite reasonable. The Android HU, interface, camera and trim totaled $478, but as I sold the stock HU for $414, this upgrade cost me only $64. None of the factory wiring was molested, so reverting to stock is quick and easy (plug and play), but I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that!
Like most electronics, these units are made in China. Why pay more for a name brand that does less?
Originally Posted by kbreese
Looks good, but "Joying"??

Last edited by bjmsam; 10-20-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 PM
TheSenator
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you have the ability to run Google Maps while driving?
Wifi Hotspot? bluetooth tethering?

Last edited by TheSenator; 10-20-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:19 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! Glad to hear it. Looks great in both of your vehicles. Indeed, I replied to a similar thread just the other day:

Like most electronics, these units are made in China. Why pay more for a name brand that does less?
That's really cool man, but the HU from 2014 looks to be out of stock now. Also, I don't have the inclination to do the install myself with all those separate components. I'm not too good with electronics and would be afraid to screw something up.

Last edited by kbreese; 10-20-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:58 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by TheSenator
Do you have the ability to run Google Maps while driving?
Wifi Hotspot? bluetooth tethering?
Yes, as discussed in the referenced thread.

That's really cool man, but the HU from 2014 looks to be out of stock now.
So is the iPhone 3. I can't imagine why anyone would buy the 2014 version when the latest models are better / faster / cheaper.

I don't have the inclination to do the install myself with all those separate components. I'm not too good with electronics and would be afraid to screw something up.
Here is what I meant above by "professional installation would have been quite reasonable:"
I found out only after installing everything that my local Best Buy would have done it for $100 plus $80 to modify the trim kit - doh!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:08 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

So is the iPhone 3. I can't imagine why anyone would buy the 2014 version when the latest models are better / faster / cheaper.
Haha, I guess I wasn't very good at hinting that I wanted a link to the latest and greatest (if you know what that is)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:21 AM
Z2Z
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Haha, I guess I wasn't very good at hinting that I wanted a link to the latest and greatest (if you know what that is)
As you noted I got mine from Joying. They have several options that look a bit more modern. Personally I went with the one I chose for two reasons. First it has an actual volume ****. The one in my truck does not and it is by far the biggest complaint I have. Second is that the HU looks "period correct" in the Vette. The volume **** almost perfectly matches the HVAC *****.

As for the Joying logo. I was able to put a nice OEM BOSE badge right over it and now people think it is factory. Yes I replaced one ugly logo with another, but at least it looks like it belongs.

One more thing. The radios I chose had fully variable back lighting options for the buttons. I was able to the the Corvette almost a perfect match and the truck is correct in color but is a bit too bright.

Last edited by Z2Z; 10-21-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:26 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

What about apple play units?
Old 10-21-2016, 05:23 AM
bjmsam
Pro

I wanted a link to the latest and greatest (if you know what that is)
The latest models from the vendor I used are on the Pumpkin web site. I have heard good things about Joying as well. Both are now on Amazon for additional efficiency (some are Prime) and protection (if dealing directly with a Chinese company is of concern).

Originally Posted by Z2Z
correct in color but is a bit too bright.
The button brightness (RGB values) and the screen brightness (Android app) are both adjustable on mine. You might want to confirm with tech support in case the settings aren't obvious on yours.

Last edited by bjmsam; 10-21-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:14 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a Kenwood DN992 and it's amazing. bluetooth, wifi, garmin nav, backup and front cameras if you want them, charges your phone, accepts an ipod and made the stock bose speakers sound like a completely different system. couldn't be happier
Old 10-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Here's my Kenwood DDX-9903S. $799 from Crutchfield. One of the very few head units with a capacitive touch screen (like a cell phone). Only downside is the reflection in direct sunlight (again, like a cell phone). Otherwise, this thing is great! Good power, pretty good interface, has Android Auto, Apple Car Play, bluetooth, USB, and the list goes on. Top notch quality. Had it installed by a pro with a backup camera. Love it!

Old 10-21-2016, 12:46 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice I'm liking these Kenwoods.

a DN992 with front and backup camera's would be a sweet setup.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:15 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the 9903s from Dennis and I love it, apple play is great to have
Old 10-22-2016, 02:27 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Here is my build thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-please-2.html

I used the KW 892.

I hate the USB and memory card interface. If you use either, I suggest researching that for each HU considered.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:53 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Here is my build thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-please-2.html

I used the KW 892.

I hate the USB and memory card interface. If you use either, I suggest researching that for each HU considered.
I forgot that you pretty much gutted the car to put in all that sound proofing. What was the final outcome of all that effort? I can't remember if there was before and after DB measurements taken

Get notified of new replies

To Please show your custom Nav headunits

Old 10-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by stefuel
I forgot that you pretty much gutted the car to put in all that sound proofing. What was the final outcome of all that effort? I can't remember if there was before and after DB measurements taken
On my C5, it was a complete waste of time. Center console was just a _touch_ cooler, but it wasn't worth all of the effort IMO.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by stefuel
Roughly 5 DB reduction. Definite improvement with vibration and rattles. Cooler console, altho it's still quite warm.

If you are a drag racer, not worth it. I don't drag race my purpose built road race car and never understood why some do that with this car. To each their own though....
Old 10-22-2016, 06:39 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Roughly 5 DB reduction. Definite improvement with vibration and rattles. Cooler console, altho it's still quite warm.

If you are a drag racer, not worth it. I don't drag race my purpose built road race car and never understood why some do that with this car. To each their own though....
My days of drag racing are long gone. Have no interest in road racing short of a spirited ride to my favorite bar stool on Saturdays. Being on the north side of 60 my tastes have changed. Fast is a gas as long as it can do it in stealth mode

Quick Reply: [Z06] Please show your custom Nav headunits