Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 with LS2 being sold at a dealer in NJ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:18 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by shane p
they are to ignorant to know any better.

No, they know now. No ignorance about it. A few have messaged him.

he is choosing to be fraudulent now with his advertising something he does not possess.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
People saying fraud assume the guy misreprented it. If I just took that car to carmax, said nothing, and they give an offer and I take it, that isn't fraud. They didn't do their due dilegence. The seller is under no obligation to divulge details. If they didn't ask, or look, and he didn't lie, where is the fraud?
Sorry, cant let this one slide.. What percentage of possibility did the owner that (clearly) couldn't or didn't want to spend the cash on a proper repair or replacement LS7, then sells said vehicle to a dealer (not a private buyer that might dig deeper), is the same guy who is going to go out of his way to explain to said dealer how the car doesn't have the power plant that made it a landmark vehicle, AND would significantly impact the resale value? Little to zero possibility.. And in my book, he defrauded that dealer. There are laws around misrepresentation.

If I buy an $800 car stereo from a guy on the street for 50 bucks, knowing there is a 99.9% chance he stole the radio, does it absolve me of guilt just because I didn't break into the car myself? Not hardly..
Old 11-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Your just making assumptions. No one knows what the deal was. Maybe the dealer bought it with no motor and thats how they chose to fix it? Maybe previous person was honest? Who the hell knows, so saying the person who sold it to a dealer is commiting fraud is nothing more than a fantasy.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:19 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Regardless of what happened previously, and we believe he received from another dealers front line.

He knows now and refuses to address his ebay listing.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Fine points of the law, perhaps.
I do know that if it was ME that swapped the motor and then sold the car, I would be going to jail over it.
Just the way my universe works. Seems I can get away with anything, until I know better. After that? Zero chance.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
Your just making assumptions. No one knows what the deal was. Maybe the dealer bought it with no motor and thats how they chose to fix it? Maybe previous person was honest? Who the hell knows, so saying the person who sold it to a dealer is commiting fraud is nothing more than a fantasy.
That is true, and there also wasn't any video of O.J. killing two people in cold blood, yet most logical thinking folks assume he's guilty. The sun COULD explode tomorrow, but sure, it's nothing "more than a fantasy" that it will rise again tomorrow until it actually does, only then does it become fact.

Let's make this a simpler conversation - would you trade in a Z06 with a blown motor, replaced with an LS1 or 2 or 3 or whatever, and not disclose this to whomever you sold it to, dealer or otherwise? Caveat Emptor personified? I would hope not I, think more of you than that.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 11-16-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by outhouse
Regardless of what happened previously, and we believe he received from another dealers front line.

He knows now and refuses to address his ebay listing.
Of course not. The dealer got rolled, he wants to pass that on to the next guy - he doesn't want to take the hit..
Old 11-16-2016, 04:07 PM
Brian@miracle
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JEBmotorsport
Video of car. They list it with LS7, this is a scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5r3...ature=youtu.be
Well scam is a bit extreme. I'm the sales manager at this dealership, we purchased the vehicle, as well as many others in the past and when we purchased it we didn't receive any information that it wasn't the original engine.

After looking through this thread it seems the tell tale signs are the lack of the dry sump, and the alternator having the incorrect pulley on it. Am I missing anything else? Anything stamped on the block that would indicate, for certain it's the incorrect engine? Clearly if it is an LS2 that's an issue I just need some way to definitely be able to tell. Figured if anyone can help me out there it's you guys.

Unfortunately it's kinda par for the course in this business, we do go over everything when we purchase a car but checking to make sure it's the right engine usually isn't one of them. And since we aren't corvette experts it wasn't something we knew to look for

Originally Posted by jp_tt_awd
Looks like someone pulled a fast one on that car lot and they don't even know. Probably blew the LS7 and just threw a LS2 in it and traded it.

-jp
On our end, this is what appears to have happened.

Originally Posted by CrystalRedZ07
"Everything works" - doesn't look like the oil pressure gauge is quite right.
Fixed this after the video

Either way, once we can get it in the shop and verify if it is or isn't an LS2 we'll change the ad accordingly.

Cheers!
Old 11-16-2016, 04:09 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

And to top it off, he is advertising it as a 'rare collector' car.

Last edited by dmuellenberg; 11-16-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:22 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Brian@miracle
. Am I missing anything else? .

Cheers!

Intake manifold is the dead give away.

No oil lines going to the EOC on the radiator shroud.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Brian@miracle
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by outhouse
Intake manifold is the dead give away.

No oil lines going to the EOC on the radiator shroud.
4 bolt vs 3 bolt correct?
Old 11-16-2016, 04:24 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Well scam is a bit extreme.

As long as your listing states LS7 and its not, its a scam being we brought this up to you.

Right thing to do is edit/pull the listing until you correct YOUR errors.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

I reported the eBay listing a few mins ago, but I think it's GREAT that the seller is being pro-active and looks like he will do the right thing!

And Unreal, I'll refrain from my "I told you so's.." Oops!!
Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

4 bolt vs 3 bolt correct?

The manifold in YOUR picture is not this.

Last edited by outhouse; 11-16-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:28 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Well scam is a bit extreme. I'm the sales manager at this dealership, we purchased the vehicle, as well as many others in the past and when we purchased it we didn't receive any information that it wasn't the original engine.

After looking through this thread it seems the tell tale signs are the lack of the dry sump, and the alternator having the incorrect pulley on it. Am I missing anything else? Anything stamped on the block that would indicate, for certain it's the incorrect engine? Clearly if it is an LS2 that's an issue I just need some way to definitely be able to tell. Figured if anyone can help me out there it's you guys.

Unfortunately it's kinda par for the course in this business, we do go over everything when we purchase a car but checking to make sure it's the right engine usually isn't one of them. And since we aren't corvette experts it wasn't something we knew to look for

On our end, this is what appears to have happened.

Fixed this after the video

Either way, once we can get it in the shop and verify if it is or isn't an LS2 we'll change the ad accordingly.

Cheers!

Easiest way to tell its an LS2 top end is by looking at the intake manifold, the runners are rounded. The LS7 intake manifold has broad flat runners. Also this is probably not an LS3 because the ls3 has a beauty cover that goes over the manifold that mimics the rounded shape of the LS2's runners.

Heres a pic of an LS7 manifold

Last edited by jp_tt_awd; 11-16-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:30 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Old 11-16-2016, 04:33 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

LS2 intake

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 with LS2 being sold at a dealer in NJ????

Old 11-16-2016, 04:44 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Whats even more sketchy is this might not even be a LS2, it could just be 5.3, etc truck motor with a LS2 top end. The majority of LS and LS based engines parts are interchangeable. Dealers need to be really thorough nowadays, these swaps are pretty easy and fairly common.

-jp
Old 11-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Brian@miracle
3rd Gear

Thanks guys! I'll be getting it in the shop first thing to get this verified and the ad will be removed until I have an answer.

Last edited by Brian@miracle; 11-16-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:50 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

LS2/3 doesnt have a 7200k RPM red line either.

Fuel cut should be somewhere around 6200 in the LS2/3's I believe.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 with LS2 being sold at a dealer in NJ????