Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help: Insurance issues with Aftermarket Parts on Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:10 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
It depends on which company. You can get stated value insurance, or added parts coverage. Some companies cover a certain amount with a basic policy, others do not. This is WHY you get this all settled before an accident to understand what happens if you get in a wreck and have $2-10k in extra work on your car.
I think it was a typo (fixed?)
Old 01-15-2017, 10:47 PM
jammeejamm
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

this varies from state to state, but your policy is also a contract that you signed. your insurance can fix the car to the bare minimums the state allows concerning "like, kind and quality parts." also, it has been said already, but if you did not buy coverage for any additional modifications, external or internal, they do not owe for it. this usually does not matter due to oem parts typically being higher than aftermarket. however, when you are a claimant it is a different story.

next time add an oem endorsement and or stated value for modifications. insureds are always crying because they did not read their policy.

for some peace of mind, bumpers and headlamps are typically the only available aftermarket parts for corvettes. gm has a price matching program, so there is some help if you must pay the difference. just ask your shop.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
In your post you say fiberglass front fenders - the front fenders on a Corvette ZO6 are carbon fiber, not fiberglass. Furthermore, you may have an issue sourcing OEM carbon fiber front fenders - GM stopped making them, the only ones I know exist will be from a salvaged car. Good luck with your fight, I don't see why they can't just pay you the replacement value for an OEM hood and then you put whatever hood you want on it. Maybe painting is the issue, or additional labor - vollenteer to pay the difference.
I agree you could have an issue finding a correct replacement fender. Yes, there are fiberglass parts but they do weigh more and shouldn't be used if you want the car correct.

I broke the left front fender on my Z in 2015 and found the carbon fiber fenders were expensive but not available from GM. After looking for salvaged parts I couldn't find any that were better than the one I already had then I looked for new old stock. I found a brand new fender under an old part number at a place in Columbus, OH. Instead of $2600 for the fender it was $1100 shipped to me. When I got it the original GM box had never been opened and the fender was pristine.

There are several vendors on eBay that are selling surplus C6Z parts.

Bill
Old 01-16-2017, 12:44 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I agree you could have an issue finding a correct replacement fender. Yes, there are fiberglass parts but they do weigh more and shouldn't be used if you want the car correct.

I broke the left front fender on my Z in 2015 and found the carbon fiber fenders were expensive but not available from GM. After looking for salvaged parts I couldn't find any that were better than the one I already had then I looked for new old stock. I found a brand new fender under an old part number at a place in Columbus, OH. Instead of $2600 for the fender it was $1100 shipped to me. When I got it the original GM box had never been opened and the fender was pristine.

There are several vendors on eBay that are selling surplus C6Z parts.

Bill
Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time. I do consider these issues (replacement parts), think about the way I drive, ironically more so on the street than on the track. Thinking about buying some spare electronic modules as well.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 01-16-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:08 AM
TATPAD
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
I had a wreck last April and had no problem getting a CF fender. Problem is that only one company makes them. They make a certain number of them a month. If its available .....you got it. If they run out you wait. Thats the way it was explained to me.

Clif
Searching for that shop that manufactures the limited production carbon fiber fenders. Any help out there ?
Old 08-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by TATPAD
Searching for that shop that manufactures the limited production carbon fiber fenders. Any help out there ?
Indeed I do - credit to Bill D IIRC.

http://plasancarbon.com
Attached Images  

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-12-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help: Insurance issues with Aftermarket Parts on Z06