Disabling OnStar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:23 PM
13brv3
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Disabling OnStar?

Greetings,

I know this subject often creates heated debates, but hopefully we can get past arguing over whether you should or shouldn't disable it. Everyone should be free to decide whether they want it or not. That being said, I personally don't want OnStar, and I've been looking for info on disabling it for the C7 as I wait for my car to arrive.

For the C6, you could pull the fuse, or disconnect the antenna. I pulled the fuse, since it was easier, but unfortunately, that disables the bluetooth phone option.

Per the C7 manual, there's a fuse labeled OnStar, so my question is whether that fuse also disables the bluetooth, as it did on the C6? I hope not, but I suspect it will.

Second, question is whether anyone has located the OnStar antenna for the C7? I'd probably consider disconnecting that, rather than losing the bluetooth connection.

Remember, everyone play nice

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 11-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

antenna is behind rear facia....
Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
13brv3
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen e
antenna is behind rear facia....
Thanks. Any idea how hard it is to get to the antenna, and if there's a connector at the antenna?

Hmmm, now I also wonder where the electronics is located in case it's easier to get to that end of the antenna.

Thanks,
Rusty
Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just curious...why do you want it disabled?

Not trying to start an argument...I won't even disagree with you and start a conversation.

I just want to know your thinking.

Last edited by Rad22; 11-27-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM
13brv3
Racer

Very cautiously worded

My equally cautious reply is that it's simply my personal preference. I would never pay for the service, so there's no reason to have it connected.

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I pulled the antenna on both my 05 and 09. Don't want it.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Desmtg
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts

When you get the car tell the dealer not to activate.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Desmtg
that's not what he's concerned about.....
Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 13brv3a
Very cautiously worded

My equally cautious reply is that it's simply my personal preference. I would never pay for the service, so there's no reason to have it connected.

Cheers,
Rusty
Fair enough.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 PM
13brv3
Racer

Originally Posted by Desmtg
I tried that on the C6, but then OnStar started calling me on the car phone when I was out driving. Of course they were trying to convince me to "push the button", and buy some cheap minutes (so we can get your credit card number).

Getting back to the subject of disabling OnStar, without disrupting anything else, it sounds like we need to find an accessible antenna connector. The question is where that will be... I won't get the car until Jan, so take your time

Cheers,
Rusty

Last edited by 13brv3; 11-27-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I saw on a chart somewhere the whole shebang is in the box on the w/s the mirror is attached to. If so, it's separate from the Nav and XM antennas. Guess you could get that removed and buy another mirror. But like others have said, why? The only obligation is theirs to fulfill a free year to you. After than just don't renew. Should certainly make your 1st year of insurance cheaper too.
Originally Posted by 13brv3a
I tried that on the C6, but then OnStar started calling me on the car phone when I was out driving. Of course they were trying to convince me to "push the button", and buy some cheap minutes (so we can get your credit card number).

Getting back to the subject of disabling OnStar, without disrupting anything else, it sounds like we need to find an accessible antenna connector. The question is where that will be... I won't get the car until Jan, so take your time

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I saw on a chart somewhere the whole shebang is in the box on the w/s the mirror is attached to. If so, it's separate from the Nav and XM antennas. Guess you could get that removed and buy another mirror. But like others have said, why? The only obligation is theirs to fulfill a free year to you. After than just don't renew. Should certainly make your 1st year of insurance cheaper too.
It doesn't matter whether you sign up or not, OnStar can still contact your vehicle/listen in/track your movements. Granted they "should" have better things to do than track us, but so should NSA, and we now know what they are doing. For example they could write a program that tracks all Covettes with their speeds and sell that information to an insurance company who might just decide that Corvette drivers speed, therefore should pay more. While the data might not report down to the individual level, it could affect Corvette owners as a whole. I really am not paranoid, but let's face it, seems like everyday we learn of some company tracking us, and I for one am tired of it.

I certainly respect anyones desire to have the service, but it should be up to each vehicle owner whether or not the box is even on.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 AM
13brv3
Racer

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I saw on a chart somewhere the whole shebang is in the box on the w/s the mirror is attached to. If so, it's separate from the Nav and XM antennas.
From my brief test drive, I don't remember the box you're talking about, but I'll look for some pictures. Of course I just realized that I can ask when I'm taking the museum delivery plant tour. They should be able to tell me, or even show me where it's located.

Cheers,
Rusty

Get notified of new replies

To Disabling OnStar?

Quick Reply: Disabling OnStar?